DVI-D to VGA converter half working.

Hello folks,

I'm having a spot of trouble with a two monitor setup after installing a new graphics card. Both monitors worked perfectly on my old card (GTX 560 Ti) so I do not think they are broken.

Upon initial installation of the graphics card I was a bit miffed at myself for not checking the I/O more carefully. The new card has DVI-D ports where as the old one had DVI-I ports. I used to use a passive connector on the old system and of course this did not and could not work with the new digital only system. I read around a bit and found out that you can buy an active converter to make this work 'apparently'. A thread on this forum was rather helpful (thanks @Glenwing):

So I purchased a seemingly reputable converter in the hopes of smoothing out my problem. Much cheaper than buying a new monitor. I know my VGA only monitor is out of date but, in a word, money. My first monitor works fine via HDMI as expected but my second monitor does not (black screen; no input). The second monitor does appear to be detected even if it does not display anything. Windows shows two monitors in Run > desk.cpl, and I can see it in device manager (are these both remnants perhaps?). 

My setup:

• Graphics card: GTX 1060 Gigabyte 6GB. Driver version 21.21.13.7653.
  • Monitor 1: ASUS VN247H 23.6-inch Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor (1920 x 1080, 1 ms, 2x HDMI, VGA, Full HD 1080p, Super Narrow Frame)
  • Connection for monitor 1: HDMI output from card, HDMI input to screen.
  • Monitor 2: Fujitsu Siemens AMILO LL 3220T.
  • Connection for monitor 2: DVI-D output from card through an active converter for DVI-D to VGA, VGA input to screen.
  • Amazon link for the converter: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-DVI-D-Female-Converter-Display/dp/B01G05RWPO/

I was hoping this would work 'out of the box'. Alas, it appears to not work. I found this thread, which seems to have the same problem but I am confused by the comments. @dewman45 seems to suggest that VGA just will not work with a 1060 but goes on to say that an active converter might work?

My thoughts:

• No-go, too modern GPU with too old screen: RIP.
  • Bad converter?
  • Could work with a more involved converting system but at that point it's probably time to buy a new monitor.

Does anyone have any input (haha) on my problem?

Thanks in advance,

Henduil

Edited by Henduil

Nowadays I usually recommend Displayport to VGA adapter, rather than (active) DVI to VGA adapters. Most monitors still don't use DP, so it's more convenient to not lose HDMI or DVI + many GPU's now have multiple displayport outptuts

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

does the second display have any other inputs? if i google the display model number it seems to have hdmi as well.

Thank you for the speedy response @Minibois. Does that not do the same thing (converting digital to analogue)? How does this differ from the current setup? Perhaps the converters are just more reliable?

@manikyath, the only input for the second display is VGA: it's very old.

6 minutes ago, Henduil said:

Thank you for the speedy response @Minibois. Does that not do the same thing (converting digital to analogue)? How does this differ from the current setup? Perhaps the converters are just more reliable?

Yeah I guess it does the same thing, but I just have lots better experiences with those converters. 

DVI-D and HDMI to VGA converters are hit or miss, but displayport to VGA always works (again, in my experience)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

DVI-D does not have the 4 analog pins that DVI-I does. Display port to VGA is the best option for your setup, this is because Display Port is designed to work with both digital and analog.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

19 minutes ago, Henduil said:

Hello folks,

Henduil

That adapter doesn't look active to me. I'd look for an active Displayport to VGA adapter.

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi.