Pc case as heatsync

HardcoreHunter

In theory would a tower pc case make a good heatsync for a cpu? What kind of issues or advantages would such a setup have if any?

2 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

In theory would a tower pc case make a good heatsync for a cpu? What kind of issues or advantages would such a setup have if any?

Usually this is used for fanless PCs. Advantage being silence. Issue is that, most of the time, the TDP is limited to 65 Watts or so (But I could be wrong)

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Just now, HardcoreHunter said:

Welcome to the Forums!

It is possible but it would need to be a huge heatsink there are cases out there currently that are design that way using heatpipes to direct the heat to exterior fins, Calyos is one that is completely passive desing:

-Moved to Aircooling- 

@TheGhzGuy 65w sounds kinda low, that is like a dual core cpu. 

@W-L Thanks for the welcome. I guess since they already exist that they don't have any issues with static being charged by the outside of the case then. I'll look into that brand and see what figures I can find. 

no, not standard cases as they have way to less surface area to dissipate heat.

though if you do sth. like @Stefan1024, you can use ur case as heatsink.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

2 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

@TheGhzGuy 65w sounds kinda low, that is like a dual core cpu. 

@W-L Thanks for the welcome. I guess since they already exist that they don't have any issues with static being charged by the outside of the case then. I'll look into that brand and see what figures I can find. 

And a few i5's

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

From Hardware Canucks (Mini ITX)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25