Waitress Didn't Accept Tip At Resteraunt?

Tocsin_786
3 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

I only tip based on service and have no qualms with not tipping should the service royally suck.

US Labor laws require the employers to guarantee the federal minimum wage; so if they don't make enough in tips+their base pay then the employer has to kick in the difference. 

Yeah I'm not American :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah I'm not American :P

Yep, hence why i mentioned they were U.S. Laws.

Also not a lot of people are aware of that particular law and servers rarely ever talk about it either; which sucks because there are many who have no idea and get taken advantage of as a result. 

3 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

Yep, hence why i mentioned they were U.S. Laws.

Also not a lot of people are aware of that particular law and servers rarely ever talk about it either; which sucks because there are many who have no idea and get taken advantage of as a result. 

Indeed, I have no doubt that many restaurant owners break this rule when their wait staff isn't aware of it.

In Canada, I do not believe there is an equivalent law about matching min wages if tips don't make it.

But, Wait staff has their own set minimum wage, and it's actually not even that much lower than current min wages. It also varies per province, as each province sets their own employment standards laws.

Eg: In Ontario

Regular Min wage: $11.40/hr

Student Min wage: $10.40/hr (People under the age of 18 who also attend 28 hours or more of school)

Liquor Server Min wage: $9.90/hr (Note that if you're a waiter at a restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol, you must be paid regular min wage)

There are other rates that aren't relevant to the discussion as well.

So the "issue" isn't as problematic in Ontario, as it is in some US States, where they can pay a server a few bucks an hour. But, in a big city like Toronto, even $9.90/hr at full time, would likely not be enough to afford a good living.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Indeed, I have no doubt that many restaurant owners break this rule when their wait staff isn't aware of it.

People should get pulled over the barrel if they are to stupid to notice it.

If you want the $ to go straight to the person serving you, you just give em cash.

Otherwise its split.

On 3/24/2017 at 1:22 PM, Tocsin_786 said:

I went to a new restaurant (it was quite awesome) and i found out that my friend worked there as well. We waited a while to the point where I just asked one of the workers passing to the kitchen if we can be served. So she apologized that no one came up to our table after waiting for so long, so she just took our order instead. I had forgotten my cash in the car and it was valet parking, so I asked my friend who was working there if they accept tip through credit card. She said "yes" so i was relieved that I dont have to go outside. When the check came in, it did not have a place to put how much to tip, but it did have the usual chart on tipping at certain % points. so I just wrote in Tip: $20. When I got my receipt I asked the server if she took out the tip, explaining to her that I did not have cash and I wanted to make sure. She said that they don't accept tips at that restaurant. A little confused, I asked her if she is certain about this, and she said yes. I just feel morally bad about this situation because I'm still not sure if its because she was sad that we waited so long, or if she felt bad that we didn't have cash on me. Did I do the right thing, and is this even a thing where some restaurants dont allow tipping? 

I'm in the US if anyone is wondering. 

Some restaurants are going away with tipping. They instead are paying a livable wage. Which I think is a better practice. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.