Waitress Didn't Accept Tip At Resteraunt?

Tocsin_786

I went to a new restaurant (it was quite awesome) and i found out that my friend worked there as well. We waited a while to the point where I just asked one of the workers passing to the kitchen if we can be served. So she apologized that no one came up to our table after waiting for so long, so she just took our order instead. I had forgotten my cash in the car and it was valet parking, so I asked my friend who was working there if they accept tip through credit card. She said "yes" so i was relieved that I dont have to go outside. When the check came in, it did not have a place to put how much to tip, but it did have the usual chart on tipping at certain % points. so I just wrote in Tip: $20. When I got my receipt I asked the server if she took out the tip, explaining to her that I did not have cash and I wanted to make sure. She said that they don't accept tips at that restaurant. A little confused, I asked her if she is certain about this, and she said yes. I just feel morally bad about this situation because I'm still not sure if its because she was sad that we waited so long, or if she felt bad that we didn't have cash on me. Did I do the right thing, and is this even a thing where some restaurants dont allow tipping? 

I'm in the US if anyone is wondering. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

some restaurants don't allow tipping? boy, i'm pretty sure that's how majority of restaurant workers make money aside from their wages. the tips they earn are like bonuses. i have yet to see a restaurant that doesn't allow tipping.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, terrytek said:

some restaurants don't allow tipping? boy, i'm pretty sure that's how majority of restaurant workers make money aside from their wages. the tips they earn are like bonuses. i have yet to see a restaurant that doesn't allow tipping.

thats what im wondering. these people work really hard, and I wasn't even mad about the service. It was a really nice place.

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

5 minutes ago, Tocsin_786 said:

I went to a new restaurant (it was quite awesome) and i found out that my friend worked there as well. We waited a while to the point where I just asked one of the workers passing to the kitchen if we can be served. So she apologized that no one came up to our table after waiting for so long, so she just took our order instead. I had forgotten my cash in the car and it was valet parking, so I asked my friend who was working there if they accept tip through credit card. She said "yes" so i was relieved that I dont have to go outside. When the check came in, it did not have a place to put how much to tip, so I just wrote in Tip: $20. When I got my receipt I asked the server if she took out the tip, explaining to her that I did not have cash and I wanted to make sure. She said that they don't accept tips at that restaurant. A little confused, I asked her if she is certain about this, and she said yes. I just feel morally bad about this situation because I'm still not sure if its because she was sad that we waited so long, or if she felt bad that we didn't have cash on me. Did I do the right thing, and is this even a thing where some restaurants dont allow tipping? 

I love this restaurant. I've worked 7 years at $2.38 an hour plus tips as background for this. If they don't accept tips that means the restaurant pays at least minimum wage to all employees.

History Lesson: Did you know tips were NOT common? In fact in many places they are still not common. For restaurants they started in the recession when owners could not afford to keep their doors open so they reduced their staff's wages and these are unlivable wages so tips were born.

With tips restaurants basically aren't directly paying their staff which is unique.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

3 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

I love this restaurant. I've worked 7 years at $2.38 an hour plus tips as background for this. If they don't accept tips that means the restaurant pays at least minimum wage to all employees.

History Lesson: Did you know tips were NOT common? In fact in many places they are still not common. They started in the recession when owners could not afford to keep their doors open so they reduced their staff's wages and these are unlivable wages so tips were born. 

The restaurant business is very lucrative. 

5 minutes ago, Tocsin_786 said:

The restaurant business is very lucrative. 

Is this statement a generalization or a specific statement about the one you went to? Because if it's about the one you went to I expected that. If it is a generalization I can provide evidence otherwise - especially when people are trying to save money such as a recession. 

Like I say I really do like that tips aren't accepted at this restaurant because you can actually determine what you are getting paid, paying employee's, and actually giving for your meal much much easier. Plus, income is actually reported instead of relying on the employee to report their tip amounts to the government...which news flash i knew people who made 20k+ in tips and reported 1200 every year for the last 40 years.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

11 minutes ago, Tocsin_786 said:

Did I do the right thing, and is this even a thing where some restaurants dont allow tipping? 

While I'm not the most familiar with US practices, you made the effort and it was declined. I'm not sure what more you could have reasonably done.

In UK, tipping is a grey area at best, and as a country we're not known to be big tippers. There is an interesting tax rule though. Cash tips are allowed to go untaxed, but if do it as part of a card payment, they have to take income tax off that. I found it a relief when travelling in Korea and Japan, where there is no expectation of tipping. You pay the list price, everyone is happy. No fuss.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

While I'm not the most familiar with US practices, you made the effort and it was declined. I'm not sure what more you could have reasonably done.

In UK, tipping is a grey area at best, and as a country we're not known to be big tippers. There is an interesting tax rule though. Cash tips are allowed to go untaxed, but if do it as part of a card payment, they have to take income tax off that. I found it a relief when travelling in Korea and Japan, where there is no expectation of tipping. You pay the list price, everyone is happy. No fuss.

If every place was as easy as Japan and Korea. It really is an annoyance to people like us, but its down basically theft to the employees who work at the places. I'm not the boss, I should not be expected to pay them. 

I don't think it's morally wrong not to tip. A tip isn't mandatory, a tip is something you give the server to show them that they've done a good job, and you're grateful. I won't eat at establishments that require tips, and give mandatory minimums. I find that rather shady business, and I find that places that operate that like often give worse service.

Now, seeing that she did deserve one (I think that's safe to say?) I do find it odd that they're not allowed to accept them. Perhaps if it was cash she'd just pocket it, and the credit card was the issue. Easier for management to track.

You said your friend works there? You could always ask them.

18 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Clearly you've never eaten at a proper Asian restaurant ;)

17 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

History Lesson: Did you know tips were NOT common? In fact in many places they are still not common. For restaurants they started in the recession when owners could not afford to keep their doors open so they reduced their staff's wages and these are unlivable wages so tips were born.

With tips restaurants basically aren't directly paying their staff which is unique.

I'm always shocked that it's acceptable for people to make a wage that low. Yes, i get it, tips are supposed to make up for that. But tips are no guaranteed. For a country as "first world" as the US, that's insane to me. Minimum wage should be minimum wage, regardless if you're making tips or not.

8 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

-snip-

Like I say I really do like that tips aren't accepted at this restaurant because you can actually determine what you are getting paid, paying employee's, and actually giving for your meal much much easier. Plus, income is actually reported instead of relying on the employee to report their tip amounts to the government...which news flash i knew people who made 20k+ in tips and reported 1200 every year for the last 40 years.

I think they should still be allowed to accept tips though. It has nothing to do with the employers bottom line, and if anything would attract even more, experienced staff which would help grow the business.

Haha, surprise surprise. There will always be tax evasion. I know a girl who's made enough in "tips" over the past 5 years to buy a $600k house.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Go back tomorrow and hand her a envelope with the $20 tip inside.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I don't think it's morally wrong not to tip. A tip isn't mandatory, a tip is something you give the server to show them that they've done a good job, and you're grateful. I won't eat at establishments that require tips, and give mandatory minimums. I find that rather shady business, and I find that places that operate that like often give worse service.

Now, seeing that she did deserve one (I think that's safe to say?) I do find it odd that they're not allowed to accept them. Perhaps if it was cash she'd just pocket it, and the credit card was the issue. Easier for management to track.

Clearly you've never eaten at a proper Asian restaurant ;)

I'm always shocked that it's acceptable for people to make a wage that low. Yes, i get it, tips are supposed to make up for that. But tips are no guaranteed. For a country as "first world" as the US, that's insane to me. Minimum wage should be minimum wage, regardless if you're making tips or not.

I think they should still be allowed to accept tips though. It has nothing to do with the employers bottom line, and if anything would attract even more, experienced staff which would help grow the business.

Haha, surprise surprise. There will always be tax evasion. I know a girl who's made enough in "tips" over the past 5 years to buy a $600k house.

The only real way to change the way it works is for people either not to tip, or for companies to do what I'm assuming the place he ate at does. That being said Tipping appropriately would be a great start as I've seen people take home 400 dollars from 4 hours of work, and people taking home pennies (females seem to get better tips from patrons, they also tend to give more reasonable tip to servers)

Just so we are all clear an average server serves somewhere between 4-8 tables typically so figure you turn those tables 1 times in the 4 hours you end up with 8-16 tables served, to make 11 bucks an hour (which honestly is a reasonable wage for this type of work in the US) you need to make in 4 hours 36 dollars in tips assuming your getting paid around 2 bucks, well if you serve 10 tables in 4 hours for example  each table only needs to tip $3.60 to bring you up to this bar. When i go out to eat i recognize this and always leave 3 bucks on the table.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

38 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

Under  US federal labor laws the owners are required to guarantee the federal minimum wage anyway.

If at any point the worker doesn't make enough in tips to equate what they would have made under minimum wage; the employer is required to provide the difference. 

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

I should have clarified that part, I did ask my friend. She said Yes, that they did accept CC tips. So she gave me a pen when I asked for one to fill in the tip section of the receipt. 

2 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

The only real way to change the way it works is for people either not to tip, or for companies to do what I'm assuming the place he ate at does. That being said Tipping appropriately would be a great start as I've seen people take home 400 dollars from 4 hours of work, and people taking home pennies (females seem to get better tips from patrons, they also tend to give more reasonable tip to servers)

-snip-

Not really, all it takes is for restaurant owners to be decent human beings. The only real reason to pay staff so little is greed.

Really, it falls upon the government to look after the people. Which they're clearly failing at.

1 hour ago, Tocsin_786 said:

I should have clarified that part, I did ask my friend. She said Yes, that they did accept CC tips. So she gave me a pen when I asked for one to fill in the tip section of the receipt. 

Then I'd say she was just pitying you :P

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

-snip-

Tipping isn't the problem. The problem is the government allowing restaurateurs to pay their employees less than minimum wage.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

The problem is the government allowing restaurateurs to pay their employees less than minimum wage.

Bingo.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

13 hours ago, Tocsin_786 said:

She said "yes" so i was relieved that I dont have to go outside. When the check came in, it did not have a place to put how much to tip, but it did have the usual chart on tipping at certain % points. so I just wrote in Tip: $20. When I got my receipt I asked the server if she took out the tip, explaining to her that I did not have cash and I wanted to make sure. She said that they don't accept tips at that restaurant. A little confused, I asked her if she is certain about this, and she said yes. I just feel morally bad about this situation because I'm still not sure if its because she was sad that we waited so long, or if she felt bad that we didn't have cash on me. Did I do the right thing, and is this even a thing where some restaurants dont allow tipping? 

Tips are always accepted in every method of payment.

I tipped at Boston Pizza, no option for 10%, only 15% which is a bummer. Another place added $1.50 for a refill pop, wont go there again.

How do you write in a tip, its all electronic now.

How does one take out a the tip from the bill?

Your story doesnt make much sense.

5 hours ago, yathis said:

How do you write in a tip, its all electronic now.

How does one take out a the tip from the bill?

Usually on the payment terminal, you have a few options like the type of bank account  (saving or cheque). On this terminal you sometimes have the "tipping" option that appears where you can either enter it in percents or a straight number, like $2.(or a straight 0/"YES/NO" option)
This tip should be going to however served you that day on their next paycheck, as their name should also be on your invoice that they hand you.

But, I've seen a few places where the tip doesn't go to the server, but to the restaurant itself and at the next paycheck they equally divide the entire tipped amount between every serving employees. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Usually on the payment terminal, you have a few options like the type of bank account  (saving or cheque). On this terminal you sometimes have the "tipping" option that appears where you can either enter it in percents or a straight number, like $2.(or a straight 0/"YES/NO" option)
This tip should be going to however served you that day on their next paycheck, as their name should also be on your invoice that they hand you.

But, I've seen a few places where the tip doesn't go to the server, but to the restaurant itself and at the next paycheck they equally divide the entire tipped amount between every serving employees. 

In many restaurants, the tip never goes straight to the waiter. The waiter generally has to split the tip with the kitchen staff. The reason is that the waiter is only one part of the customer experience.

That steak you just ate was cooked absolutely perfectly and was just kickass? Waiter had nothing to do with it.

Some restaurants do make the wait staff pool all the tips together to evenly distribute among all non-management staff.

We did that at Williams Cafe when I worked there (kind of like Starbucks) - all the tips were pooled together and split among the staff.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

27 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

In many restaurants, the tip never goes straight to the waiter. The waiter generally has to split the tip with the kitchen staff. The reason is that the waiter is only one part of the customer experience.

That steak you just ate was cooked absolutely perfectly and was just kickass? Waiter had nothing to do with it.

Some restaurants do make the wait staff pool all the tips together to evenly distribute among all non-management staff.

We did that at Williams Cafe when I worked there (kind of like Starbucks) - all the tips were pooled together and split among the staff.

That's pretty common here in the states too. 

Often the cooks aren't included as their pay will tend to be decent compared to the wait staff.  But the greeters and the bus boys are included. 

Personally i'm for ending tipping in favor of a steady wage, but i am sure most tipped employees probably wouldn't like that.  As mentioned earlier its a good way to earn a lot of tax free money.

4 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

That's pretty common here in the states too. 

Often the cooks aren't included as their pay will tend to be decent compared to the wait staff.  But the greeters and the bus boys are included. 

Personally i'm for ending tipping in favor of a steady wage, but i am sure most tipped employees probably wouldn't like that.  As mentioned earlier its a good way to earn a lot of tax free money.

It all depends on how good a waiter they are, and how lucrative the restaurant is, really.

If they're taking home $30,000+ in untaxed tips (or hell, even $20,000+), that's a hell of a lot of money. Especially combined with whatever they actually earn hourly (even if it's comparatively very little).

Personally, I'm in favour of government forcing minimum wage laws onto restaurant owners, and abolishing separate wait-staff minimum wages.

I would love to only tip when a server is "kickass", rather than tipping pretty much always, and simply tipping better if they're good.

Hell, I wouldn't even complain if prices went up a few percentage points to compensate for the increased wages being paid out. If balanced properly, you should be paying roughly the same amount in the end anyway, just without the tip.

It's funny because other industries don't expect tips. If your accountant does a kickass job on your taxes, you generally don't tip them (though some people will send gifts, which can be considered a similar action).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Why don't resturaunts just pay their staff properly.

9 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Why don't resturaunts just pay their staff properly.

There's historical precedence (Great Recession era, for example), but now-a-days? Because it's "the way things are".

Just now, dalekphalm said:

There's historical precedence (Great Recession era, for example), but now-a-days? Because it's "the way things are".

Yeah I remember hearing that from watching the Adam Ruins Everything episode, I just felt like reiterating the question to myself to express my belief that the people who still use such a system are idiots.

To me the idea that people need my incentive to do good at their job degrades a restaurant's reputation because to me it shows they aren't willing to hire dedicated staff so they need me to act as their service "quality assurance". I don't want to worry about that when I go out to eat. If the service is bad I'd rather be able to blame the brand rather than take it out of the workers.

It's partially for this reason I prefer to just prepare my own food rather than eat out with the exception of the Taco Salad at one of the restaurants at the local mall, that S#%^ is to die for.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

I would love to only tip when a server is "kickass", rather than tipping pretty much always, and simply tipping better if they're good.

I only tip based on service and have no qualms with not tipping should the service royally suck.

US Labor laws require the employers to guarantee the federal minimum wage; so if they don't make enough in tips+their base pay then the employer has to kick in the difference. 

A tipped employee engages in an occupation in which he or she customarily and regularly receives more than $30 per month in tips. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 per hour in direct wages if that amount combined with the tips received at least equals the federal minimum wage. If the employees tips combined with the employers direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Many states, however, require higher direct wage amounts for tipped employees.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/wages/wagestips