I thought people were joking about this...computer = space heater

corevo

Welp I thought that people were joking when they equated computer parts to being space heaters, but nope...totally accurate. I just built my first desktop pc with an RX 480 and an i7 7700. My room is noticeably warmer than the rest of the house when I keep the door shut, probably at least 5 degrees warmer. Just something I'll have to get used to I suppose. Do other people have this same issue too?

How imagine running an OCed 8350 and 290x.. *starts sweating*

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Fun fact: if you leave your room shut off from the rest of the house while you have a source of heat coming from your room, the air will not circulate properly.

2 minutes ago, corevo said:

Welp I thought that people were joking when they equated computer parts to being space heaters, but nope...totally accurate. I just built my first desktop pc with an RX 480 and an i7 7700. My room is noticeably warmer than the rest of the house when I keep the door shut, probably at least 5 degrees warmer. Just something I'll have to get used to I suppose. Do other people have this same issue too?

Just do the whole room watercooling like linus did

-- BSOD : ( --

get a stock cooler and dual gpus, it is insane when the door is closed

I had an overclocked AMD A8-6600k at like 5GHz with the stock cooler one intake one exhaust fan and a GTX750 Ti, the thing was mint at winter. It ended up dying after about 4 years.

1 minute ago, WolfoftheShadow7465 said:

the cooler doesnt make a difference

I still use my watercooled pc as a heater when our heater breaks. Just stresstest it for a bit and it gets nice and warm

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Fun fact: if you leave your room shut off from the rest of the house while you have a source of heat coming from your room, the air will not circulate properly.

lol yeah of course, but having poor circulation > being social with roommates.

2 minutes ago, WolfoftheShadow7465 said:

Does the stock cooler make any difference compared to an aftermarket cooler? Either way the cpu is producing the heat and the cooler is dispelling it into the air with heatsinks/fans

iv turned off all heating in my room just to keep my computer cooler, downside is that my room is about 15C in the winter untill i sit down and play some games :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, corevo said:

naw most people just open a door or window =P 

I can't complain about my current machine, but back when i had my all AMD system (A10 6790k + R9 280), it would sit next to my leg and even despite the fact that the card had a custom 3 slot cooler and the CPU was watercooled, it would wildly heat up my right leg, to the point it felt like a real heater.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Nope, it's totally true.  A PC that uses 500W will produce the same amount of heat as a 500W heater. 

Puget Systems even did research on the matter:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Gaming-PC-vs-Space-Heater-Efficiency-511/

I use both of my PCs for Folding @ Home during the winter.  Makes no difference on my electricity bill compared to when I was using a space heater, but at least the electricity is being used for something worthwhile in addition to generating heat.  You may also decide to mine some bitcoin and turn that heating electricity into a bit of money.

I mean, common logic would dictate this... I have my Plex server stuffed into my closet and it'll keep that room around 85F once it stabilizes with the door shut for a week. Otherwise the room is in the low-60's.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I use an R9 390X, all of a sudden my room's temperature becomes the highest out of all the room in my house

Now imagine using an FX 9590 with an R9 295x2

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

I have an SFF pentium D running as a server in my room, it keeps it warm in winter (I don't have heaters)

This is a signature.

Computers are very efficient space heaters. Almost all of the energy you put into them gets turned into heat. Maybe you can consider using a computer running F@H as a space heater during the winter instead of a space heater now xD

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Yeah... my room got nice and toasty with dual 5850s and an i7-860.  Good times, wish I still had it with me.  

The type of cooler has no bearing on how much heat the CPU is producing, just FYI. The more efficient the cooler, the more heat it will be putting off into the room. ;) 

I had 2 R9 290's for a while. It was a furnace, to say the least. Not joking. At full load it was essentially a 600+ watt heater. xD 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 hour ago, <Aleks> said:

I had an overclocked AMD A8-6600k at like 5GHz with the stock cooler one intake one exhaust fan and a GTX750 Ti, the thing was mint at winter. It ended up dying after about 4 years.

I'd like to see that... o.O

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 minute ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I'd like to see that... o.O

What part of it? The blown up part or when i was running? Got pictures on my old phone.

Just now, <Aleks> said:

What part of it? The blown up part or when i was running? Got pictures on my old phone.

The part of running 5GHz on a stock AMD cooler.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 minute ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

The part of running 5GHz on a stock AMD cooler.

K, I'll try to login to my iCloud in the evening.

1 hour ago, corevo said:

lol yeah of course, but having poor circulation > being social with roommates.

Does the stock cooler make any difference compared to an aftermarket cooler? Either way the cpu is producing the heat and the cooler is dispelling it into the air with heatsinks/fans

No, PC will output the same amount of heat no matter the cooler. 

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

6 hours ago, Alesek said:

the cooler doesnt make a difference

I still use my watercooled pc as a heater when our heater breaks. Just stresstest it for a bit and it gets nice and warm

Yes, it does. The better the cooler, the most heat it will dissipate so the room will get warmer. 

3770k, 1070, my computer doubles as a heater.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.