So how's the Ryzen memory issues going?

killcomic

Tomorrow I'm off to buy parts for a new build, even so, I'm still deciding whether to go with the Ryzen 1700 or the 7700K.

Even though I'm going for a gaming build, I feel that Ryzen has a longer future.

However, the memory issues with Ryzen scare me. I got my eye on the MSI B350 TOMAHAWK, but unfortunately my local computer store does not have any of the 3000/3200 RAM sticks in the list of certified memory modules.

This is such a headache that I'm thinking of just going with the i7.

So, how bad is the situation with Ryzen at the moment?

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

if your going strictly for gaming, the 7700k is still the king. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

if your going strictly for gaming, the 7700k is still the king. 

And I bet it will be less fucking around trying to get the right memory for it too....

Just now, killcomic said:

And IU bet it will be less fucking around trying to get the right memory for it too....

indeed. AMD Made some amazing strides with this brand new launch of Ryzen, but they are not quite there yet. Another refresh cycle or 2 and I think they could push very seriously into Intels market share and have the IPC there to compete. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Ryzen has potential but lacks maturity... but I've found Intel to be less than perfect with ram compatibility also, once you get to 3000+ speeds it can still be hit or miss depending on the module and mobo combo.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I'd probably go with the 7700K as of now.  I really like the idea of having an 8c/16t enthusiast CPU, but I would consider it too early to jump on the Ryzen train... especially if my local Ryzen market was scarce.

You could just grab a popular kit of RAM (GSkill/Corsair) and hope that a fix will be arriving if you have issues running it at 2933MHz.  <Isn't that so appealing?  :(

7 minutes ago, porina said:

Ryzen has potential but lacks maturity... but I've found Intel to be less than perfect with ram compatibility also, once you get to 3000+ speeds it can still be hit or miss depending on the module and mobo combo.

indeed, at 3000 and 3200mhz, I had to fine tune my timings as the XMP ones would cause system instability. Once I got them tuned in with help from a few awesome members here as well, I was rocking. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

7 minutes ago, porina said:

Balls... at least they have RAM sticks compatible with the z270 board I had in mind.

19 minutes ago, killcomic said:

Tomorrow I'm off to buy parts for a new build, even so, I'm still deciding whether to go with the Ryzen 1700 or the 7700K.

Even though I'm going for a gaming build, I feel that Ryzen has a longer future.

However, the memory issues with Ryzen scare me. I got my eye on the MSI B350 TOMAHAWK, but unfortunately my local computer store does not have any of the 3000/3200 RAM sticks in the list of certified memory modules.

You need to ask yourself a few questions:

Are you willing to be an early adopter and deal with a new platforms launch issues? (Intel has had them too in the past)

If the answer is no then stop here.

Are you going to be gaming at 1440p or on a 60Hz monitor?

If the answer is yes then the 7700k loses its advantage and is redundant from this point onward.

Will you be doing ANYTHING else cpu involved other than gaming? e.g. streaming or video editing.

If yes then the 1700 wipes the floor with the 7700k.

Do you want to play todays games or tomorrows?

Games will start to take full advantage of more cores/threads and this will make R7s even more appealing. sure games today favour quad cores but remember when it was all about single core? Times change, vulkan is coming.

Be a pioneer or play it safe its up to you. Either way answer the above questions honestly and you have your answer.

Proud owner of 6700k system and an R7 1700 system.

My only advice is don't get the 1800X as 1700s are showing in the vast majority of cases to OC very stable at the higher frequencies. Also don't be sold on XFR it doesn't boost for long and only boosts 1 core.

For Ryzen your best bet is an all core overclock.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

You need to ask yourself a few questions:

Are you willing to be an early adopter and deal with a new platforms launch issues? (Intel has had them too in the past)

If the answer is no then stop here.

Are you going to be gaming at 1440p or on a 60Hz monitor?

If the answer is yes then the 7700k loses its advantage and is redundant from this point onward.

Will you be doing ANYTHING else cpu involved other than gaming? e.g. streaming or video editing.

If yes then the 1700 wipes the floor with the 7700k.

Do you want to play todays games or tomorrows?

Games will start to take full advantage of more cores/threads and this will make R7s even more appealing. sure games today favour quad cores but remember when it was all about single core? Times change, vulkan is coming.

Be a pioneer or play it safe its up to you. Either way answer the above questions honestly and you have your answer.

Proud owner of 6700k system and an R7 1700 system.

My only advice is don't get the 1800X as 1700s are showing in the vast majority of cases to OC very stable at the higher voltages. also don't be sold on XFR it doesn't boost for long and only boosts 1 core.

For Ryzen your best bet is an all core overclock.

You know what? I don't have the money to gamble, so I think I'll go with the safe option here. I do more than just play games with my PC, but nothing that my old 3570K can't handle, so the 7700K will do just fine.

5 minutes ago, killcomic said:

You know what? I don't have the money to gamble, so I think I'll go with the safe option here. I do more than just play games with my PC, but nothing that my old 3570K can't handle, so the 7700K will do just fine.

Cool hope I helped :)

EDIT: Sorry one thing that just crossed my mind is that I forgot say above is that AMD have committed to keeping the AM4 socket for a minimum of 4 years. Intel however are notorious for their 2 year socket switcheroo so just be aware when buying that your mobo is very unlikely to support the next generation.

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Cool hope I helped :)

You certainly did!

Cheers!

For pure gaming, 7700k is the best bet for now. Even if devs start optimizing for the dual CCX design of 1700, it won't be able to match the IPC or the clock speed of the 7700k. Not to mention stuff works great out of the box for 7700k while with 1700 there's a lot of hassle getting the Samsung B-die memory. 

If you can wait for 3-4 months, wait and see what x299 brings. Skylake on HEDT makes me excited for some reason since they will be able to clock higher to something like 4.6-4.7 GHz again like with Haswell-E, and skylake has the same IPC as kaby lake. 6-core part for 400$ would be a pretty sweet processor. 

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

13 minutes ago, Shubham Yadav said:

For pure gaming, 7700k is the best bet for now. Even if devs start optimizing for the dual CCX design of 1700, it won't be able to match the IPC or the clock speed of the 7700k. Not to mention stuff works great out of the box for 7700k while with 1700 there's a lot of hassle getting the Samsung B-die memory. 

If you can wait for 3-4 months, wait and see what x299 brings. Skylake on HEDT makes me excited for some reason since they will be able to clock higher to something like 4.6-4.7 GHz again like with Haswell-E, and skylake has the same IPC as kaby lake. 6-core part for 400$ would be a pretty sweet processor. 

wait for x299... He was comparing 2 same cost systems you cant reasonably suggest a platform that costs 3x more XD.

Also see question 2 from my above post. The 7700k's IPC bonus is lost if a) gaming at 1440p or b) using a 60Hz monitor where all those frames are redundant anyway.

53 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

wait for x299... He was comparing 2 same cost systems you cant reasonably suggest a platform that costs 3x more XD.

Also see question 2 from my above post. The 7700k's IPC bonus is lost if a) gaming at 1440p or b) using a 60Hz monitor where all those frames are redundant anyway.

X299 costs 3X more? No, it doesn't. You can get a 6-core i7-5820k for $320. Also the 6800k costs less than $400 right now. I expect similar pricing for 7800k. 

I specifically mentioned waiting for the 6-core variant. Intel's 8 core variants are crazy overpriced. 

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

5 hours ago, killcomic said:

Managed to get my ram up to 2666 with 16/18/18/36 timings 1.2V with 4 sticks and I don't know if my memory is even listed (trident z)

@killcomic  One more (two more actually) thing, if you do look further into Ryzen:

1.  Not all 8GB sticks are dual rank.  Make sure the kits you look at specify that they are capable of rank interleaving, a.k.a: Dual Rank.  Apparently all 16GB sticks are D.R.

2.  I looked up Ryzen verified memory for another member and when going through Gigabyte's Memory Support List I found a single 8GB stick (DR/3000MHz).  I looked it up on PCPP and found the 16GB (2x8GB) kit had the exact same model number.  If you get the model number for an 8GB stick, look up 2x8GB kits for the same model number.

Either path you take should be fine, with the AMD path tossing in a few curve balls.