AIO a good Idea (Ryzen 5 build)

So i'm looking into buy a 1600x when they come out later this year as my 8350 isn't really keeping up at the moment with the kinda games i'm playing. this is the bulid i'm planning on doing:

Ryzen 1600x

Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming or MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon

(Whatever DDR4 is cheap at the time) 

I'm a university student and i have my PC in my dorm with me, i was wondering about using an AIO instead of an air cooler but i'm a bit worried about moving it too and from my university. So would an AIO be fine or would it be better just to get a better air cooler?   

I see no reason why an AIO wouldn't work. If anything it would be better because there is not a huge hunk of metal hanging off of the motherboard. However, I am no expert and I could be wrong.

Please Quote or tag me @GigabitXe to make sure I see your reply. 

I move my PC about 10-14 times a year, for about 3 years. 

A big fat air cooler will bounce up and down in transit and destroy your board really quickly, my AIO has kept up fine. 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

A big fat air cooler will bounce up and down in transit and destroy your board really quickly, my AIO has kept up fine. 

is there any AIO's you would recommend? i have an NZXT s340 

My H100i has seen round 10k km of street so far and hasn't had any problems yet. Large CPU coolers put even more strain on the mainboard.

1 minute ago, Squibbies18 said:

is there any AIO's you would recommend? i have an NZXT s340 

H100i/110i GTX or X52/62

idk

5 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

This isn't necessarily true. Many X370 motherboards have braced CPU sockets. So something like a Noctua NH-U12 would be fine to move around and give similar cooling performance for less cost and a lot less noise.

Movement of AIO can also cause the air bubbles that are usually settled in the reservoir to enter the pump and decrease the lifespan of the pump significantly as well as causing a grinding noise.

4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I have a 1kg coolermaster z600 and I have moved house 4 times. Nothing broke. I don't know if you can still buy heatsinks that big anymore

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I have a 1kg coolermaster z600 and I have moved house 4 times. Nothing broke. I don't know if you can still buy heatsinks that big anymore

NH-D14 is like 1.2kg with fans installed, the intel spec is 500g.. 

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

The specs are a lie. Just don't go offroad or transport it on a scooter

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, Droidbot said:

To be fair, the Intel spec doesn't really mean much. I work for a large UK system builder and we ship thousands of systems with big Noctua air coolers and we've never had any issues for damage in transit that is due to the cooler.

I've had to deal with quite a few Hydro coolers leaking though! 

Image uploaded from iOS (3).jpg

Image uploaded from iOS (2).jpg

2 minutes ago, Kommanche said:

I've had to deal with quite a few Hydro coolers leaking though! 

Corsair, there's your problem.

Just now, Kommanche said:

-oh god-

h100i v1 does leak a little bit, the newer asetek designs used in h100iv2 and x52/62 don't leak as much in my experience. but that's pretty cool to know, you've got a bloody cool job. 

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

The specs are a lie. Just don't go offroad or transport it on a scooter

eh, this is the same spec that says 'overclocking can damage hardware permanently'

idk

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Corsair, there's your problem.

Same OEM as the NZXT units mate. I'd only ever recommend air cooler or full custom. AIO are a gimmick for aesthetics.

I used to run a H100i. Swapped to a Noctua NH-D15 and have not looked back since.

I move my pcs with an AIO all the time. You'll be fine. 

On 3/24/2017 at 0:12 PM, Kommanche said:

I'd only ever recommend air cooler or full custom. AIO are a gimmick for aesthetics.

This 100%! AIOs genuinely offer nothing over top end air coolers, and obviously have zero risk of air leaking lol! People fall for it all the time though, and you can understand why... clever marketing and the easily spread misconception that because an AIO has liquid in it, it simply MUST be better at cooling. You can't really blame people for thinking this. It does only take 5 minutes research to see otherwise though. At the end of the day, if you want the ultimate in performance and silence, a custom loop is the only way... but that obviously comes at a very high cost and with significant time investment. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with a Noctua D15, Dark Rock Pro 3 or Cryorig R1. If your case has height restriction and/or high profile ram, there are Noctua and Cryorig coolers of varying sizes/profiles that are sure to fit and would still be a better choice over an AIO.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti