What do you get with a more expensive amp over something a bit cheaper

themctipers
Go to solution Solved by SSL,

Penis size.

What's the difference? As far as I can tell, after you get to the really good stuff, there's pretty much nothing really to improve on. 

I know now that the difference separating the Low and the high end would be distortion, power output, power efficiency, looks but what separates the $1500 amp and the $10000 amp?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, SSL said:

Penis size.

That literally it? Just +epeen and minus a whole lot of money?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

That literally it? Just +epeen and minus a whole lot of money?

Well, no. I'm sure there are sonic differences. The question is, are they worth the price? I would wager no, as I feel like diminishing returns set in well before $10,000. The price/performance curve on audio gear in general is pretty bad.

Probably just slightly better components and build quality mixed in with a fuller ego.

As the price goes up to $10,000 you'd probably just be getting diminishing returns, Maybe someone who's more of an audiophile than I am would have a better answer though ^_^

Current Rig:

CPU: i7 4790 3.60GHz

RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB) GSkill 2333MHz

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4

PSU: Modular Cougar 750w

GPU: Sapphire HD 7790 Goodnight Sweet Prince, You served me well :(

Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD + 10TB's Various Seagate HDD's

Case: Corsair 780T (White)

Mouse: Logitech G600

Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Browns)

Future Upgrades:

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Dual

PSU: Super Flower Leadex II 750W 80 Plus Gold 

Mouse: Mionix Castor

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX

Screen: Anything cheap that's either 1440p @ 60Hz/1080p @ 144Hz or 21:9 IPS

Just now, BranchySaturn28 said:

Probably just slightly better components and build quality mixed in with a fuller ego.

As the price goes up to $10,000 you'd probably just be getting diminishing returns, Maybe someone who's more of an audiophile than I am would have a better answer though ^_^

Someone needs to compensate for..

5 minutes ago, SSL said:

Penis size.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I will say as someone that is into audio gear, it's a stupid hobby. It's really easy to burn a ton of money and it's not like music can't be enjoyed on regular consumer gear. I don't think I'm in the right place with it mentally where I could even take spending five figures on audio seriously.

5 minutes ago, SSL said:

I will say as someone that is into audio gear, it's a stupid hobby. It's really easy to burn a ton of money and it's not like music can't be enjoyed on regular consumer gear. I don't think I'm in the right place with it mentally where I could even take spending five figures on audio seriously.

And this is how my dad got into debt ! /s hopefully..

he doesn't even use his gear.. Only have I recently started using it..

M-508/P-308 amp/preamp

Denon DP-59L turntable

(Some JBL monitors that I forgot the model name, surround rotted away)

busted (someone likes turning up the volume too much..) Onkyo D-66

(going to have to assume these are good) 

Onkyo TA-2058 cassette

Pioneer SG-60 graphic equalizer 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Someone needs to compensate for..

Who me? I'm not an audiophile by any means, I use a shitty Logitech 5.1 Speaker setup operating in 2.1 because the other 3 speakers died, I won't bother upgrading until one more kicks the bucket :P

Current Rig:

CPU: i7 4790 3.60GHz

RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB) GSkill 2333MHz

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4

PSU: Modular Cougar 750w

GPU: Sapphire HD 7790 Goodnight Sweet Prince, You served me well :(

Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD + 10TB's Various Seagate HDD's

Case: Corsair 780T (White)

Mouse: Logitech G600

Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Browns)

Future Upgrades:

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Dual

PSU: Super Flower Leadex II 750W 80 Plus Gold 

Mouse: Mionix Castor

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX

Screen: Anything cheap that's either 1440p @ 60Hz/1080p @ 144Hz or 21:9 IPS

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

And this is how my dad got into debt ! /s hopefully..

he doesn't even use his gear.. Only have I recently started using it..

M-508/P-308 amp/preamp

Denon DP-59L turntable

(Some JBL monitors that I forgot the model name)

busted (someone likes turning up the volume too much..) Onkyo D-66

(going to have to assume these are good) 

Onkyo TA-2058 cassette

Pioneer SG-60 graphic equalizer 

That looks like a nice vintage turntable. I don't know about the other stuff, but that would be worth something these days.

Just now, SSL said:

That looks like a nice vintage turntable. I don't know about the other stuff, but that would be worth something these days.

I tried hooking it up to the phono inputs to my preamp a week ago (before I just input it to my computer and amplified it there with software) and it has too much bass (tried what I'll consider a pretty good looking copy of the never ending story) and the highs were nope

but, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ whatever. 

The amp is probably dying, it needs a fan to blow on it else it gets hot to touch (and that just worries me, knowing that the factory caps are known to be bad)

tried sourcing replacement caps, $100. :/ it's even mounted to a copper heatsink, so.. No chance for me fixing it, it it breaks. Ever. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

I tried hooking it up to the phono inputs to my preamp a week ago (before I just input it to my computer and amplified it there with software) and it has too much bass (tried what I'll consider a pretty good looking copy of the never ending story) and the highs were nope

but, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ whatever. 

The amp is probably dying, it needs a fan to blow on it else it gets hot to touch (and that just worries me, knowing that the factory caps are known to be bad)

tried sourcing replacement caps, $100. :/ it's even mounted to a copper heatsink, so.. No chance for me fixing it, it it breaks. Ever.

If the amp is class A, it's going to run hot, even if it isn't pure class A. The turntable might need a new cart or something. I know very little about vinyl.

10 minutes ago, SSL said:

If the amp is class A, it's going to run hot, even if it isn't pure class A. The turntable might need a new cart or something. I know very little about vinyl.

It's class AB

iirc the max power draw is 500w, so.. And just for 200w/channel (2 channels? Four outputs, speaker set 1/2, one usually input at once)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.