ATH-M50x Upgrade. Replace pads or different pair?

Saiyan

Is it worth getting something like velour or BrainWave pads to replace the stock ones? Just wondering because I've they diminish/change the sound quality a bit. Wondering for sake of how comfortable they are if it's worth it to try a simple replacement of the pads or just look into another pair of headphones. The ATH-M50's are fine and comfortable an all I just feel like they would feel better on my head if the stock pads were softer. 

If you guys do suggest another pair any recommendations? I don't want something cheaper that will noticeably sound worse but my budget isn't that of affording a $1000 pair of Sennheiser's either. 

PCPartPicker: z97 Gaming 5 | 750w Photon | 850 Series 250gb SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | LG25um56-P | Corsair K70 RGB | Asus Strix 970 4gb | WD Blue 1TB | Logitech G502 | i7-4790k | H100i GTX w/ (Noctua NF-F12's) | HyperX Fury Black 1x8gb 1866 | NZXT Hue+ |  ATR2500 | ATH-M50x |

some people use shure 840 pads, but I would advise you to either cut out the filter the stock pads have and place it under the new pads or buy some of that filter of Amazon or ebay. Without it there is a big chance of the treble being too much for you.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

13 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

some people use shure 840 pads, but I would advise you to either cut out the filter the stock pads have and place it under the new pads or buy some of that filter of Amazon or ebay. Without it there is a big chance of the treble being too much for you.

I read through your review of the ATH-M50x's.. What would pair would you suggest (around the price point of the M50x's) that are better? I'm currently using my M50x's just with the 3.5 cable plugged into my motherboard so I don't know if I'm taking full advantage of pair anyway. Getting an amp or DAC (I'm not really sure on the science and difference of what an AMP/DAC do but still...) wouldn't be problem if it would for sure better the sound quality. I wanna be able to have some input and opinions when looking around for a better pair.

PCPartPicker: z97 Gaming 5 | 750w Photon | 850 Series 250gb SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | LG25um56-P | Corsair K70 RGB | Asus Strix 970 4gb | WD Blue 1TB | Logitech G502 | i7-4790k | H100i GTX w/ (Noctua NF-F12's) | HyperX Fury Black 1x8gb 1866 | NZXT Hue+ |  ATR2500 | ATH-M50x |

1 minute ago, Saiyan said:

I read through your review of the ATH-M50x's.. What would pair would you suggest (around the price point of the M50x's) that are better? I'm currently using my M50x's just with the 3.5 cable plugged into my motherboard so I don't know if I'm taking full advantage of pair anyway. Getting an amp or DAC (I'm not really sure on the science and difference of what an AMP/DAC do but still...) wouldn't be problem if it would for sure better the sound quality. I wanna be able to have some input and opinions when looking around for a better pair.

the K553, DT 770 HD280 will offer better quality in the treble department. The hd 280 are the closest to the m50 in sound signature.

I wouldn't recommend getting a DAC and amp for them, I have tried them with many DACs and amps and I have found them to scale like shit, the best paring I have found has been with the lyr 2 which is a hybrid tube amp, simply because that smoothened the treble a bit out

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.