Hello,

I am wanting to watercool my Early 2008 3,1 Mac Pro. The problem I am running into is the CPU socket its self. The 3,1 Mac Pro has two (2) LGA 771 sockets on its motherboard. Seeing as the LGA 771 socket is mostly used for servers and workstations, there aren't any CPU water blocks in sight on any websites I have looked at specifically for the socket. I got to brainstorming and am wondering if AM3 is compatible with LGA 771. Also, could I cool two (2) CPUs off of the same radiator safely? 

Thanks, 

MajesticUnipig

AM3 and LGA 771 use very different mounting mechanisms, they're not interchangeable. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

AM3 and LGA 771 use very different mounting mechanisms, they're not interchangeable. 

Are there any solutions for watercooling an LGA 771 socket CPU, or am I going to have to pull a Scrapyard Wars and somehow make one?

Just now, MajesticUnipig said:

Are there any solutions for watercooling an LGA 771 socket CPU, or am I going to have to pull a Scrapyard Wars and somehow make one?

Not that I know of. You could buy something like an LGA 775 block and ghetto mount it. You could buy a block then weld on a custom mounting bracket to make it line up with the LGA 771 mounting holes. 

Why do you want to water cool that mac anyways? the water cooler is probably worth about as much as the system and there very inefficent and alost 10 years old now.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why do you want to water cool that mac anyways? the water cooler is probably worth about as much as the system and there very inefficent and alost 10 years old now.

What doesn't sound cool about watercooling a Mac Pro? Plus, when was the last time you heard of a watercooled Mac Pro?

Just now, MajesticUnipig said:

What doesn't sound cool about watercooling a Mac Pro? Plus, when was the last time you heard of a watercooled Mac Pro?

people have done it, there just is no reason to, it won't be any faster or quieter.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

people have done it, there just is no reason to, it won't be any faster or quieter.

If you couldn't tell already, I'm not watercooling a Mac Pro for better performance or sound detaining. I'm watercooling such a machine just for the sheer thought of doing so; however, I appreciate the information. 

11 minutes ago, MajesticUnipig said:

I'm watercooling such a machine just for the sheer thought of doing so

Bored are you?

6 minutes ago, MajesticUnipig said:

If you couldn't tell already, I'm not watercooling a Mac Pro for better performance or sound detaining. I'm watercooling such a machine just for the sheer thought of doing so; however, I appreciate the information. 

I understand your desire.

Take a look at this:

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel

23 minutes ago, MajesticUnipig said:

What doesn't sound cool about watercooling a Mac Pro?

The basic idea of watercooling a Mac Pro?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.