dijkstra's algorithm on google maps

So I'm trying to find the shortest route to help out a friend go to visit his boyfriend, so my questionis (and yes this is the traveling salesman problem which hasn't been solved yet.) but I know dijkstra's algorithm is pretty effective. Has someone taken google maps and used dijkstra's algorithm to work out a travel route? If so, how can I use it?

5 minutes ago, whiteGloveReview said:

So I'm trying to find the shortest route to help out a friend go to visit his boyfriend, so my questionis (and yes this is the traveling salesman problem which hasn't been solved yet.) but I know dijkstra's algorithm is pretty effective. Has someone taken google maps and used dijkstra's algorithm to work out a travel route? If so, how can I use it?

Well, Google Maps is a navigator that if you type in two locations, it gives you the quickest (not necessarily shortest) route between them.

But otherwise no.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Well, Google Maps is a navigator that if you type in two locations, it gives you the quickest (not necessarily shortest) route between them.

But otherwise no.

yeah, i noticed that, and if memory serves me right, once upon a time, they had a setting to say whether you wanted it to prefer speed or the shortest distance between the two points. is that a thing still and I'm just missing it? or is it not a thing anymore?

1 minute ago, whiteGloveReview said:

yeah, i noticed that, and if memory serves me right, once upon a time, they had a setting to say whether you wanted it to prefer speed or the shortest distance between the two points. is that a thing still and I'm just missing it? or is it not a thing anymore?

No, but they offer you various alternate routes and if you want to avoid highways or toll roads. However, it only picks the quickest route based on traffic conditions, so in most situations it picks the shortest route.

When it comes to travel, it's often better to pick the quickest route, not necessarily the shortest route. It's why in UPS has all their courier routes in San Francisco make right turns only because left turns take forever in that city.

Although really, you could replace absolute distance between each node with ETA to each node and use the algorithm that way. I believe for networking, it does this anyway to minimize latency.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No, but they offer you various alternate routes and if you want to avoid highways or toll roads. However, it only picks the quickest route based on traffic conditions, so in most situations it picks the shortest route.

When it comes to travel, it's often better to pick the quickest route, not necessarily the shortest route. It's why in UPS has all their courier routes in San Francisco make right turns only because left turns take forever in that city.

Although really, you could replace absolute distance between each node with ETA to each node and use the algorithm that way. I believe for networking, it does this anyway to minimize latency.

thing is, in this trip, the difference between shortest route here and fastest route, is approximately 100 miles.