Installing Debian perminantly on a USB drive

I have a computer that doesn't have a HDD, but i want to get it up and running. Can I install Debian directly to a USB stick as if it were a spinning disk? If so, how?

It is possible, however the speed will be rather limited and is quite slow (I tried it once on my laptop with USB 3.0 stick). You would need two USB drives to install it. Plus USB sticks use flash memory, which is not meant for such usage and they wear quickly.

On a more realistlic note - why not just buy an HDD (or even better, SSD) for the computer? Much easier and less issues.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Just now, jj9987 said:

It is possible, however the speed will be rather limited and is quite slow (I tried it once on my laptop with USB 3.0 stick). You would need two USB drives to install it. Plus USB sticks use flash memory, which is not meant for such usage and they wear quickly.

On a more realistlic note - why not just buy an HDD (or even better, SSD) for the computer? Much easier and less issues.

with what money?

1 minute ago, whiteGloveReview said:

I know these exist but I need to run Debian.

ok in that case install debian and change the file system to read only to lengthen USB flash lifespan.

change /tmp to mount in ram.

turn off all logging or write log files to ram.

Cant think of anything else atm. theres more detailed in the archwiki, the commands might not be identical but the intentions and concept will be applicable 

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_Arch_Linux_on_a_USB_key

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 23/03/2017 at 8:42 PM, whiteGloveReview said:

I have a computer that doesn't have a HDD, but i want to get it up and running. Can I install Debian directly to a USB stick as if it were a spinning disk? If so, how?

Debian dont work for me with full install in a USB 3.0 (it crashes) but Ubuntu-like works (I recommend Ubuntu Mate) and Ubuntu is debian based.