FreeNAS Setup Help!

Hi guys, my goal is to simply setup freenas, i'm using the corral version within a virtual enviroment, everything i see and read on the internet mentions a console setup where you can use numbers to navigate and set up things like an ip address, however, once done and booted it just has the web url link which doesn't work.

I'm using an AMD FX-8350 with 16GB of RAM, and VMWare Workstation Pro 12.

Why can't i access the console setup page, or how can i access it please???

Thank you in advandce

Console setup, managing things like the IP config, is done on the actual FreeNAS system, rather than through a remote connection. For normal use case, this just means connecting a keyboard up to the FreeNAS system and setting it up through that. I'm not sure how different the process is when running FreeNAS in a VM. As for the IP address, I don't know how that would work either, as it will be running through the PC the VM is on, which in turn has its own IP address.

Did you follow a guide for setting up FreeNAS on a VM? General advice that I see is to run FreeNAS as the base OS, otherwise you're negating the benefits of ZFS by adding layers inbetween FreeNAS and the hardware.

For the console setup, you should see something like this with options for what you want to change.

fn22.png 

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Console setup, managing things like the IP config, is done on the actual FreeNAS system, rather than through a remote connection. For normal use case, this just means connecting a keyboard up to the FreeNAS system and setting it up through that. I'm not sure how different the process is when running FreeNAS in a VM. As for the IP address, I don't know how that would work either, as it will be running through the PC the VM is on, which in turn has its own IP address.

Did you follow a guide for setting up FreeNAS on a VM? General advice that I see is to run FreeNAS as the base OS, otherwise you're negating the benefits of ZFS by adding layers inbetween FreeNAS and the hardware.

For the console setup, you should see something like this with options for what you want to change.

fn22.png 

Thank you for your reply, i followed several different tutorials, according to the tutorials it should work right away, but mine doesnt, and i have no idea what happened or how to fix it

4 minutes ago, Spike199421 said:

Thank you for your reply, i followed several different tutorials, according to the tutorials it should work right away, but mine doesnt, and i have no idea what happened or how to fix it

Might be a good idea to reinstall and try again. Maybe move to FreeNAS 9.10 instead of Corral to see if that works any better for you. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Might be a good idea to reinstall and try again. Maybe move to FreeNAS 9.10 instead of Corral to see if that works any better for you. 

okay thank you

I wouldn't install it in a Virtual Machine. FreeNAS may have an issue when dealing with virtualized network controllers. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

-snip- 

Virtualizing FreeNAS can still work - and with ZFS too. Your main concern is having a secondary SATA controller, or using an HBA, to physically pass the disks directly to FreeNAS. You need a VM software that allows Device/PCIe passthrough - not every software supports this.

@Spike199421 running FreeNAS Corral in a VM is fine for testing, but honestly, because it now supports native virtualization, you're still better off running it as the Base OS and virtualizing any other OS you need to run (Eg: Linux or Windows Server).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Virtualizing FreeNAS can still work - and with ZFS too. Your main concern is having a secondary SATA controller, or using an HBA, to physically pass the disks directly to FreeNAS. You need a VM software that allows Device/PCIe passthrough - not every software supports this.

@Spike199421 running FreeNAS Corral in a VM is fine for testing, but honestly, because it now supports native virtualization, you're still better off running it as the Base OS and virtualizing any other OS you need to run (Eg: Linux or Windows Server).

okay doaky, thank you very much for your advice