Temporary shoddy cpu cooling ideas

spf9000

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this or if another similar topic exist have not found one yet.

My cpu fan has died and it will take a while for a new one to arrive. I happen to be a person who cannot live without a computer, so I am looking for some ideas to cool it enough to at least watch youtube and things on it and if effective enough hopefully run some games. My current idea is hooking up a box fan to the side of my case while open or to direct a small window air conditioner to blow directly into the case.I also plan to look into harvesting some fans off of old systems issue is they are too big to mount normally. If anybody has some solutions or comments/suggestions/tips on the ideas or ways to mount a too large fan it would be greatly appreciated

1 minute ago, spf9000 said:

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this or if another similar topic exist have not found one yet.

My cpu fan has died and it will take a while for a new one to arrive. I happen to be a person who cannot live without a computer, so I am looking for some ideas to cool it enough to at least watch youtube and things on it and if effective enough hopefully run some games. My current idea is hooking up a box fan to the side of my case while open or to direct a small window air conditioner to blow directly into the case.I also plan to look into harvesting some fans off of old systems issue is they are too big to mount normally. If anybody has some solutions or comments/suggestions/tips on the ideas or ways to mount a too large fan it would be greatly appreciated

zip tie a 120mm old fan to it

That's basically that same thing, just not as focused directly onto the heatsink. But you'll gather a lot of dust. The best thing to do is as @lolimpol said. You should have case fans, tie one of those fans for the moment. You don't need a case fan as much as you need a CPU Cooler Fan. It won't be as good, but it will be better than nothing and better than a box fan. Even tho it's an AF fan and not a SP fan.

as long as the heatsink is good then ziptie some other fan to it, if you dont have another 120mm or 140mm fan then use whatever fan you can find and make a funel to chanel the air over the cooler

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Zip tie or hotglue a fan to it.  Any fan will work.  Probably just blowing a fan on the open side of the case will also provide enough airflow to keep it overheating under light load.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Modern CPUs won't die if they're not properly cooled, they'll just throttle down (reduce core frequency) and eventually shut down.

So you can keep the cpu running 24/7 at around 65c.

Depending on what cpu cooler you have and what processor you have, it may be enough to just go in the bios and set the cpu frequency to a lower value (like 2 ghz instead of 2.8-3.5 ghz), and then cpu may stay cool enough to function with just the passive heatsink. Ideally, you'd adjust the voltage as well to a lower value since the cpu won't need such high voltage at the lower frequencies, and with lower voltage the cpu will have even less losses so won't be as hot, but if you're not experienced you can just let it be and adjust just the cpu frequency.

Otherwise you should remove the broken fan (so that it won't block airflow) and grab a case fan and you could make it hang just above the old fan using strings or rope, wire, etc plenty of positions where you could attach things to the case.