[UPDATE] US Senate and House of Representatives votes to let internet providers share your browsing history without your permission

EunSoo

Thread cleaned.

As a reminder, as per the Community Standards, political discussions aren't allowed, especially when it falls into insulting each others and being antagonizing and condescending.

No Trolling

• This includes flame wars such as NVIDIA vs AMD, political or religious debate.
  • Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

UPDATE:

The House of Representatives passed a resolution today overturning an Obama-era FCC rule that required internet providers to get customers’ permission before sharing their browsing history with other companies. The rules also required internet providers to protect that data from hackers and inform customers of any breaches.

Internet providers now just need a signature from President Trump before they’re free to take, share, and even sell your web browsing history without your permission.

“The consequences of passing this resolution are clear: broadband providers like AT&T, Comcast, and others will be able to sell your personal information to the highest bidder without your permission,” said Representative Anna Eshoo (D-CA) on the House floor this afternoon. “And no one will be able to protect you, not even the Federal Trade Commission that our friends on the other side of the aisle keep talking about.”

the FCC won’t be able to pass privacy restrictions protecting all web browsing history again, since the resolution prevents it. Though the commission will, it seems, still be able to block internet providers from sharing info related to children, banking, or medical history, which the FTC considered sensitive in the first place.

So why did Congress block the rules from being implemented? Republicans bought into internet providers’ arguments that the rules discriminated against them and could confuse consumers. The rules would prevent internet providers from selling your web browsing history even though, the argument goes, websites like Google and Facebook would remain free to do the same thing. ISPs say that’s unfair and makes it hard for consumers to understand who gets to see their browsing data.

I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO READ THE FULL ARTICLE:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/28/15080436/us-house-votes-to-let-isps-share-web-browsing-history

This will only encourage increased sales for VPN providers, unless America pulls something like the Great Firewall of China. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Never considered vpns before for personal use. As an IT admin, I will now. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

3 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Never considered vpns before for personal use. As an IT admin, I will now. 

Checkout bestvpn and vpn analysis. A good VPN provider in my opinion should have strong encryption protocols, has very minimal to zero logging, and should be handling their own DNS, which unfortunately not all VPN's do. Even LTT's sponsor Tunnelbear doesn't handle their own DNS. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

But "Both Parties are Exactly The Same"

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

I am a little disappointed, but I'm all for erasing regulation and since the NSA is already spying on everything I do I don't know why a company buying it would be worse. Might be time to pay for a VPN

On 3/25/2017 at 0:23 PM, Trik'Stari said:

Simple solution: crowd fund a movement to purchase and release the entire browsing history of every single last member of congress (along with friends, families, and people who gave them "donations"), if this goes through into law.

Get that going, get it viral, and watch this bill die on the floor of the house of representatives.

Apparently, you are not alone:

https://searchinternethistory.com

12 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

I am a little disappointed, but I'm all for erasing regulation and since the NSA is already spying on everything I do I don't know why a company buying it would be worse. Might be time to pay for a VPN

I never understood this type of mentality. I mean yeah it sucks that the NSA can spy on us but that doesn't mean we should stop trying to protect our privacy. At that point you might as well give up on having any privacy at all. I mean at least the NSA would be trying to use the information for something better than profit. 

On 24/03/2017 at 4:01 AM, Drak3 said:

Aren't you like 11? Wait to do that shit until you're a slightly awkward 15 year old

Age is just a number. 

- snip-

Honestly i'm wondering what's going to happen now.

The damage/effect this will have is very likely much greater than we realize/think now.

I really hope it all goes to sh*t and make people realize how bad this is because this doesn't only effect your internet experience but you life in so many ways it's likely unpredictable what will end up happening.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I hadn't actually looked into this until today, and, boy, am I glad I hadn't.  Seen this Script before.

A little insight: at the end of Administrations, one camp of Corporate Donors likes to get some last minute rules in.  Since Google + Big Internet guys had a huge "in" with the Obama Admin, it was pro-Them rules that got pushed.  New Admin, thus the losing-side Lobbies to get rules changed.  Thus people are "sounding the alarm" for rules that aren't even in effect yet.

Because, here's a little bit of news, ISPs have been able to do this since the beginning.  Heck, there used to be Free Dialup ISPs if you left an Ad-platform on the entire time.  It just, however, is generally not all that profitable for them.  How often you check your Email isn't the biggest use. (What you Search is more valuable, which is why Google is trying to cut off other sources of that Data. What, you thought Google cared about your interests?)  Just like "Net Neutrality", you're being feed propaganda in the war between Google et al vs Comcast et al.

The most interesting news is that there's actually Opt-Out rules. Something I didn't know about.  After the dust settles, I'll need to look into that.

As a general point, if it's anything actually important, non-US-based VPN with no logging.  Go about removing your history from Google (there are settings to do that) and turn off tracking.  Use a Beacon blocker (been using uBlock lately), and shift your search over to something like DuckDuckGo or StartPage.  The days of the Ad-supported Internet are almost at an end, so just go about helping that happen.