What is the appeal of Itx?

Gdourado
9 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

This is my main GTX 1080/6700K rig, which pretty much runs folding@home 24/7. 

You should know me by now :P

That you like to live dangerously?  ? lol

51 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

One is for my Dad and one is for me.  The build quality of the cases are right up there with CaseLab quality.

Got to love card board rigs.  Done a few myself, but never inside one, mostly on top of the mobo box.  Crazy one I did had a AMD mATX board with a OG Titan smacked on it sitting on top of a card board box.  I got that pic somewhere.

Awww that's nice your dad is either interested enough in computers to build one or appreciate if you build him one.

My dad just criticizes me every time I've gotten a new part for a computer.  He thinks I'm just wasting money.  He also complained about the lighting in my computer calling it "disco lights"...  Smh.  

Isn't trying to put things that get rather hot inside a cardboard box risky?

Personally I like the challenge of building in small cases. My current build is mATX rather than MITX, but it's about as small as mATX cases get while still having full height PCI slots. Planing and assembling the build was fun, though needing a shorter PSU, and wanting short PSU and sata cables did push the price up over a larger mATX build. The end result is far easier to move about than my old mid-tower, I'd never take the ATX rig downstairs to plug into the TV for example.

Yes ultra compact builds limit cooling, but CPU overclocks don't add much to gaming performance (that you can see with the naked eye). When the cooling for the GPU is compromised that is more problematic, reference cards offering less bang for the buck, but for some it's worth the compromise.

Of course some ITX cases are quite large and can offer excellent cooling for both the CPU and GPU giving you very nearly the same performance as an ATX rig while still be considerably smaller.