GPU dead after reapplying paste? Testing GPU without heatsink?

akaltar

Hello!

GPU: Sapphire HD 6850 Toxic 1GB

About 2 years ago I broke my GPU while reapplying paste. But since after that soon both the MOBO and the PSU died, I think it is possible the GPU could still work.
Until now I didn't have a system to test it in, but now I want to try, also for curiosity.

I reapplied the paste, because the GPU was running 99C under load.

Things I did wrong back then: Applied paste to the memory(possibly even too much, shorting memory pins) AND reused the old, dusty thermal pads. 

I would also like to know whether the average thermal compound is electrically conducting or not?

Now I have cleaned everything off and have a proper system to test it in, but unfortunately, I don't have thermal pads, which begs the question:
Can I test whether my GPU POSTs without using the heatsink?

Do not run without a heatsink!!!!!!!!

STEPS:

1. Clean the GPU with a bath of Rubbing Alcohol to make sure you got everything off.  

2. Go buy some thermal pads. (I don't know what size you need so do some research) DO NOT PUT THERMAL GREASE ON THERMAL PADS!!!!!!!!!

3. Clean heatsink of all residue with alcohol bath. Don't get the fans wet!

4. When thermal pads come in, place pads in proper position (GPU dependent, again do some research), apply thermal grease to GPU ONLY, and reassemble the GPU and heatsink.

Most thermal grease is non conductive. Ceramic base grease for example.

Thank you very much, I will get some thermal pads and test the GPU with heatsink properly attached.

If it was cheap thermal paste then there's a good chance it's not conductive.

Most used paste is not conductive.

You should apply a tiny (and I mean tiny) amount of paste on the VRAM to help the pads stick to the VRAM. It shouldn't be used as if it's purpose is to conduct heat.

What I do. Get the GPU, put TIM on the VRAM, take the plastic off one side of the pads, place it on. Do this to all at once. THEN take off the other side of the plastic to minimize your finger grease. Place heatsink on. Screw on.
Do the core before or after the VRAM, your choice.

It's not a race to the bottom.