• GPU: R9 290 Tri-X, factory overclock. 
  • CPU: FX8320, overclock 4,2GHz
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX KHX1866C9D3K2/8GX
  • PSU: Cooler Master GX 550W
  • Operating System & Version: Windows 7 64-bit
  • GPU Drivers: AMD 17.2.1.

Description of Problem: 
Never had any problems until yesterday where I did an auto update of my drivers.

I came back and the screen was black but the PC still running. So I waited for half an hour but still nothing happened. So I decided to restart my PC. However, all went to shit after that.

As you can see, this is what happens now. I went into safe made and deleted the driver of my R9 290. After that the problems still occur. Installed DDU and tried to wipe all the drivers. I downloaded the newest version again of AMD 17.2.1. which is now currently on my computer.

Finally my PC starts on regular mode but when the PC is on for around 2-3 minutes the screen starts to glitch again and after a few seconds recovers. But after a few times the screen goes to the BSOD with the following message:

> 'attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.'

* Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000116 (0xFFFFFA800A8A2160, 0xFFFFF88006F603DC, 0x00000000000000000,0x000000000002)
*** atikmpag.sys - Address FFFFF88006F603DC base at FFFFF88006F51000, Datestamp 589dc0e6

Any help is appreciated. Important to note is that without the AMD drivers the problems still occur like in the pictures.

After restarting I now get these:

Moreover, if I uninstall the drivers so it only says VGA drivers I still get all the crashes.

It also keeps crashing, even in safemode. When restarting it did an integrity check of the files but even during that around 30% the screen turns into colored bars and stripes.

Now I restarted it to backup some files to be sure, and now all looks fine.. It is really random. But I do expect it to crash in several minutes.

Does your mobo have a debugger led, if yes, check your manual and look for the number it displays. If the debugger cannot detect anything wrong, i would go into the bios and check there if all your hardware is detected. Report back if nothing works.

PS: OMG I wish more people could spend time and make a post like yours. Most people just say "My GPU doesn't work" without giving any details. 

Get DDU, remove all drivers and try an old one (before the latest one)

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I have an GA-970A-UD3, AFAIK it doesn't have a debug led.

Do you think it hardware or software related?

Seems to me that your bricked drivers sent a bricked bios/ settings  to your card. And thats why it still crashes without the drivers 

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

Get DDU, remove all drivers and try an old one (before the latest one)

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

I already tried that but it is very hard to do because of the frequent screen crashes. 

Moreover, when I tried it could not finish it and gave an error with the message that I should send it to the developers?

Just now, maccollac said:

I already tried that but it is very hard to do because of the frequent screen crashes. 

Moreover, when I tried it could not finish it and gave an error with the message that I should send it to the developers?

Ah, Do you have a spare GPU? if so, try it. If it's working then your 290X is most likely the problem.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I do not have an a spare GPU... It is the 290 model btw, not the X version ;).

2 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

AMD has released the crimson relive drivers

Current driver is AMD Crimson ReLive Edition 17.2.1

I updated mine to Crimson ReLive Edition 17.3.3 Optional, but that is when the crashes started happening.

1 minute ago, maccollac said:

I do not have an a spare GPU... It is the 290 model btw, not the X version ;).

Okay, do you have another PC or your friends PC? You could test there. :)

just download the new crimson drivers put them on your desktop

use ddu to completely uninstall them and finally reinstall the Crimson ReLive Edition 17.2.1 from amd website

6 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

just download the new crimson drivers put them on your desktop

use ddu to completely uninstall them and finally reinstall the Crimson ReLive Edition 17.2.1 from amd website

As I said before using DDU didn't work as it gave an error at the end. It also hard to do because of the frequent screen crashes which makes it near impossible.

What about using the driver installation CD that came with my GPU? 

It has driver version 13-066 (13.251) on it?

So I restarted my PC and tried to use DDU again. However, after one minute being on the desktop two screen crashes happend followed up by the following BSOD

Important to note is that my BIOS still works.

Have tried installing a previous version of the driver instead of the latest available?

Could you boot onto a Linux live disc and use that for a bit, see if any graphical issues pop up? If it does, then that would be the card itself failing, not the driver. In which case prepare for RMA if it's still under warranty.

Do you have a backup from before you installed the drivers? If you do, could you restore it?

If all else fail in windows, at the point you're at, I'd just backup my stuff and format windows.

Because while DDU is good and all, it doesn't remove EVERYTHING, there's still traces of trash left behind that Windows can take and reinstall the faulty drivers with it. Formatting is the only sure-fire way of making sure you have a 100% clean driver installation. (and if graphical issues still happen, both with the newest and older drivers, the card is most likely the culprit)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Have tried installing a previous version of the driver instead of the latest available?

Could you boot onto a Linux live disc and use that for a bit, see if any graphical issues pop up? If it does, then that would be the card itself failing, not the driver.

I can try to uninstall the driver again and use an older version. However, using DDU doesn't really work for me. So I will try to remove it and use an older version of the driver. Currently downloaded version 16.12.1. via my Macbook, hope it works. However, the crashes also continue without the current driver, so it should be weird that it works with an older version right?

I dont have access to Linux live disc.

Sadly, I don't have an backup before I installed my drivers. Also the system recovery is post driver update.

I might come at that point yes where I just want to a complete reinstallation, although not preferred.

58 minutes ago, maccollac said:

I dont have access to Linux live disc.

Download Linux Mint or any other variant of Linux, burn it onto a DVD? Surely your mac has a dvd burner... right?

If not, there are tools to put it on a USB flash drive.

Boot to it, and that's that. You have your Linux Live disc. Because Linux lets you "try it" before actually installing anything, right from the disc.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It is so weird, because one time I can easily stay on the desktop for 10 minutes without any screen glitches happening. But at other times, it will crash almost instantly or after a few minutes with a BSOD. I bought the card in december 2014, so there is no warranty left sadly.

Moreover, it might be coincidence that it has to do something with my GPU. Never had any troubles with my GPU except when I decided to install the latests drivers (which I have done before obviously). 

TBH, I would just format.

Seems like the auto update has fucked something so hard that the problem has gone outside of the drivers.

Take your HDD out, put it into another computer and back up what you can.

Put the HDD back and format.

Don't ever use auto anything. Auto = Don't.

It's not a race to the bottom.