Cheapest possible upgrade run what I want?

wdodge0912

So ive been wanting to build a new machine, but the way money's been going quickly around here, I figured swapping some parts would be better and faster.

What I have

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Ka0sGh0sT/saved/tkft6h

What I'm looking at is this

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Ka0sGh0sT/saved/QKqXLk

Im hoping that it would be better at gaming, namely fallout 4, and arma 3. I think it would also leave me room to eventually buy a better graphics card too, 1060 6gb or a rx480.

I'm also hoping the new case will help keep the system cooler. The current one doesn't :(

You'd probably be ok with the 470 unless you obviously see drops trying it on high, also for the price of the 7600 you could possibly get a 6600k unless you're not bothered about overclocking.
But to be honest just upgrading the CPU will do wonders

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

for case get the zalman z9 neo

i have it is is a little difficult for cable management with psu. (tip install psu first with cables you need) will save you time and hassle

it also cheap at around 69 dollars

has alot of filters and comes with 5 fans

supports 2 rads

11 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yP6Tqk

The Xeon is an i7 4770 clocked 100mhz lower, and allows you to cut out the price of new memory that with that board you couldn't take advantage of anyway

The ram wouldn't go to waste, I have my older i5 2130 machine that it would go into.

15 minutes ago, Zangashtu said:

You'd probably be ok with the 470 unless you obviously see drops trying it on high, also for the price of the 7600 you could possibly get a 6600k unless you're not bothered about overclocking.
But to be honest just upgrading the CPU will do wonders

I could over clock, but could the h60 handle it? If it was overclocked to 3.8ghz, would the performance be the same as a stock 7600k?

Also what would be the difference between the b250 board and z170?

4 minutes ago, wdodge0912 said:

The ram wouldn't go to waste, I have my older i5 2130 machine that it would go into.

I could over clock, but could the h60 handle it? If it was overclocked to 3.8ghz, would the performance be the same as a stock 7600k?

The 8300 can oc very far, you could probaly get it up to 4Ghz easily with that cooler (just turn up fan speed). At 4Ghz it should be enough to keep up with the RX470 and not drop frames, getting the i5 is a pretty bad decision since you have to get a whole new mobo and ram. Not worth.

But if you really want to upgrade, I recommend @Droidbot's build, I have that Xeon and it performs just great.

I would say yes but unless you start to see temps that you don't want to tone it down a bit.
And probably yeah, i was just thinking price wise.

And just different chip support, it could be better in a number of different ways such as better RAM support, faster PCI-E lanes etc.

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

8 minutes ago, wdodge0912 said:

eh, not worth it buying ddr3 new at this point, just get a used 2x4 kit for that machine. 

b250 is cheaper, offers NO OC support (including memory OC besides timings)

z170 is the all out PCH, with OC, high clocked memory support, overvolting, more ports, etc

idk

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Ka0sGh0sT/saved/NZcP6h

What about this? The cpu would be the biggest purchase, so the entire upgrade would be over a couple paychecks, but I could manage it.

The fans put it overbudget, but they aren't needed necessarily. But it.would be nice to have, and have actual good fans too, not the ones that make a grinding sound now (the h69 fans good, but the case fans sound sick from new)

If that board can do decent overclocking then yeah you would smash everything but you could potentially get a later gen i7 for cheaper, if the board cant then go for the non k version

Just now, wdodge0912 said:

What about this? The cpu would be the biggest purchase, so the entire upgrade would be over a couple paychecks, but I could manage it.

not worth $100+ for 500Mhz of extra power, and it's a hit or miss that CPU working with that board due to it being based on the Haswell Refresh architecture and the board is based off the Haswell Original PCH

idk

9 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

not worth $100+ for 500Mhz of extra power, and it's a hit or miss that CPU working with that board due to it being based on the Haswell Refresh architecture and the board is based off the Haswell Original PCH

Would a H97 be the board to get for it? Or a z97 if I wanted to oc?

I do plan to eventually upgrade the gfx card as well eventually, figured the extra speed would keep it around longer

2 minutes ago, wdodge0912 said:

Would a H97 be the board to get for it?

I do plan to eventually upgrade the gfx card as well eventually, figured the extra speed would keep it around longer

Well, let's just put it this way - putting the extra money into Haswell-R at this point is silly

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V68LHN

I fit an i7 6700k, a cheap z170 motherboard (so you can overclock, even just 300-500Mhz) and a new 8GB kit with room to upgrade to 16 if you need it. 

In the same budget. 

idk

For Fallout 4, fast RAM will increase frame rate stability.

You should be looking at DDR4, and why are you spending all that money on fans and a AiO CPU cooler?

The 3000MHz RAM will not run at that speed because the motherboard only supports 2400MHz.

That case is not really any better than your current one.

I just realized you do have a Kabylake build... sorry.  Just waking up here.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($287.49 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($39.90 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: ARCTIC Arctic F12 74.0 CFM  120mm Fan  ($6.77 @ Amazon)
Total: $444.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-23 06:16 EDT-0400

7 hours ago, Droidbot said:

Well, let's just put it this way - putting the extra money into Haswell-R at this point is silly

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V68LHN

I fit an i7 6700k, a cheap z170 motherboard (so you can overclock, even just 300-500Mhz) and a new 8GB kit with room to upgrade to 16 if you need it. 

In the same budget. 

I like that. I'd probably get a different board though. 

7 hours ago, stconquest said:

For Fallout 4, fast RAM will increase frame rate stability.

You should be looking at DDR4, and why are you spending all that money on fans and a AiO CPU cooler?

The 3000MHz RAM will not run at that speed because the motherboard only supports 2400MHz.

That case is not really any better than your current one.

I just realized you do have a Kabylake build... sorry.  Just waking up here.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($287.49 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($39.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $444.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-23 06:16 EDT-0400

I already have the cooler, and the fans would be something I want, not need, but would be decent non grinding fans that are rgb and I can replace the one on the cooler with rgb too.

I'm hoping the bitfenix case would allow more air in, the current case I have the intake fans are blocked and barely pull any air in.

9 minutes ago, wdodge0912 said:

I like that. I'd probably get a different board though. 

I already have the cooler, and the fans would be something I want, not need, but would be decent non grinding fans that are rgb and I can replace the one on the cooler with rgb too.

I'm hoping the bitfenix case would allow more air in, the current case I have the intake fans are blocked and barely pull any air in.

I see your point, I just notice the Bitfenix case's front panel is perforated.  I thought it was solid.

You could just pop holes in the front panel of your current case, with a drill.  Much cheaper, same result.

Why don't you drop the expensive fans and get a good case?  Something like a S340 or a P400 is of much higher build quality and by far the best bang for your buck when it comes to good cases.

The Phanteks Enthoo Pro goes for $99, and even goes on sale for less periodically.  It is a really nice case.

The Phanteks P400, and the NZXT S340, come with tempered glass models.  Those look really nice.

35 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I see your point, I just notice the Bitfenix case's front panel is perforated.  I thought it was solid.

You could just pop holes in the front panel of your current case, with a drill.  Much cheaper, same result.

Why don't you drop the expensive fans and get a good case?  Something like a S340 or a P400 is of much higher build quality and by far the best bang for your buck when it comes to good cases.

The Phanteks Enthoo Pro goes for $99, and even goes on sale for less periodically.  It is a really nice case.

The Phanteks P400, and the NZXT S340, come with tempered glass models.  Those look really nice.

I have looked at a ton of cases. The silverstone rl05 looks nice. I really want the corsair C70. The Thermaltake commander g42 is another. 

I want rgb fans that are good, and replacing the cooler fan I figured I should get the same fan, and the 3 pack isn't that bad.

I might put holes in my case amd get the new cpu and stuff along with it, and get a new case later too. Ifor I did that I could get the case I want later with all the fans I want :P

Is the MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard a good one for overclocking?