Pidgey

(Poll) IPS vs TN - FPS gaming   

43 members have voted

1. 1. Panel preference for FPS gaming?

• TN
    • IPS
    • No difference
    • Haven't tried both
  2. 2. Were quicker response times + lower input lag(in most cases) of the TN Panel noticeable in any way as opposed to IPS?

• Yes
    • No
    • Haven't tried both

Interested in what everyone's thoughts are on the subject, I've done a lot of research and can't decide which way to go for fps gaming.

Colors/angle advantage on IPS vs tn panel being quicker(generally). For me it comes down to whether or not the difference in speed effects performance at all.

asus pg278qr vs pg279q are the monitors I'm considering

For competitive FPS, you'd be best off with TN unless you can find an IPS panel with low response times and a high refresh rate.

Otherwise, either would be fine, an IPS monitor will give more accurate colors and better viewing angles, though also typically a higher response time, and lower refresh rate. (60hz is common, 120hz+ is uncommon)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I just picked up a cheap TN 144hz monitor, technically an advantage in FPS gaming but I really didn't see the advantage of buying an IPS panel just for somewhat better colors. Unless you really care about good color reproduction it seems like a TN is really your best choice here, even if it just comes down to price.

It depends what kind of FPS you play honestly. If your main games are games like CSGO or overwatch, people will generally tell you to go with the fastest TN panel with a high refresh rate. If you play mostly AAA games like BF1 or Wildlands, I personally prefer better colors and angles, which is why I went for IPS, but my monitor is pretty much the best you can get at 1440p (Predator XB271HU). If you have the budget, the debate isn't really there because there's IPS panels like the XB with very good response time.

Like I said at the beginning though, if you're a CSGO purist, definitely stick with a 1ms TN panel.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

IPS is a steak, TN is dollar store bologna and VA is a nice burg.

If you play esports FPS then get TN, if you play AAA titles like BF1 or Deus Ex then IPS for better quality.

Sorry, you can NOT generalize this^^

You can find TN panels with total 2-4 ms input lag, and IPS with 18 ms total input lag.

And then you can find IPS panels with 165 Hz, like the Asus PG271Q, which has only 3 ms total input lag, beeing even FASTER in response, than the TN equivalent.

Some general points:

- Response time alone is worthless. You need response time + signal processing time together. Otherwise, it's just a random number on the specsheet with no meaning.

- Lower response time means, Pixels can switch color faster, which might reduce Ghosting

- Total input Lag matters more, the more Hz your Monitor has. 165 Hz? Yep, might matter. 60 Hz? Not so much, since you see a picture every 16,67 ms. Anything faster than that, will be useless.

Is this thread just a general discussion? Or do you need a recommendation? Because there are various factors to consider ^^

Response time is a joke, since most monitors suffer more from input lag than response time. On top of that, response time on some monitors is specced as minimums and as averages on others, making direct comparisons unreliable. And even further, you an add overshoot to pad response times more at the expense of image quality, making the spec as a whole almost worthless.

PuYmPz6.png

In the end, the effect is minimal anyways; for instance, the "IPS" PG279Q is only effectively 1ms slower than the TN PG278Q with a real response time of 3 ms vs a real response time of 5ms. Looking at specs alone won't tell you any of this, but a real monitor review from TFTCentral or Tom's Hardware will tell you how a panel really performs. Even this doesn't really matter anyways on most monitors; as long as the monitor puts out pictures faster than the refresh rate, it's unnoticeable.

TL;DR: Response time is a misleading spec; use real monitor reviews and check input lags.

4 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Sorry, you can NOT generalize this^^

You can find TN panels with total 2-4 ms input lag, and IPS with 18 ms total input lag.

And then you can find IPS panels with 165 Hz, like the Asus PG271Q, which has only 3 ms total input lag, beeing even FASTER in response, than the TN equivalent.

Some general points:

- Response time alone is worthless. You need response time + signal processing time together. Otherwise, it's just a random number on the specsheet with no meaning.

- Lower response time means, Pixels can switch color faster, which might reduce Ghosting

- Total input Lag matters more, the more Hz your Monitor has. 165 Hz? Yep, might matter. 60 Hz? Not so much, since you see a picture every 16,67 ms. Anything faster than that, will be useless.

Is this thread just a general discussion? Or do you need a recommendation? Because there are various factors to consider ^^

7 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

Response time is a joke, since most monitors suffer more from input lag than response time. On top of that, response time on some monitors is specced as minimums and as averages on others, making direct comparisons unreliable. And even further, you an add overshoot to pad response times more at the expense of image quality, making the spec as a whole almost worthless.

In the end, the effect is minimal anyways; for instance, the "IPS" PG279Q is only effectively 1ms slower than the TN PG278Q with a real response time of 3 ms vs a real response time of 5ms. Looking at specs alone won't tell you any of this, but a real monitor review from TFTCentral or Tom's Hardware will tell you how a panel really performs. Even this doesn't really matter anyways on most monitors; as long as the monitor puts out pictures faster than the refresh rate, it's unnoticeable.

TL;DR: Response time is a misleading spec; use real monitor reviews and check input lags.

Trying to choose between asus pg278qr and pg279q @Darkseth. I can't finding reviews or anything with input lag on the qr, only saw one with the pg278q, although they are probably identical or similar. the only numbers I've seen actually showed that the 9q had lower input lag than the 8q

Ah, that's the new one.

The predecessor has a review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm

I doubt, the newer one is any worse than that, probably even better. ^^

Check the IPS Review i have linked to tftcentral, they have the IPS + TN versions in their InputLag graph (just not the newer TN model).

Keep in Mind: IPS Panels with 1440p and 144+ Hz do ha ve quality issues. Backlightbleeding, stuck pixels etc etc. it's a quality control issue from the Panel manufacturer AU Optronics, that all Monitors use with these specs. Asus, Acer, AOC, Viewsonic, and other freesync variants. So it can be a bit of a lottery there. However, i guess Asus has a better control than like AOC~. From what i read. But still, you CAN be unlucky. Or lucky.

This might be interesting for you: 

57 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

For competitive FPS, you'd be best off with TN unless you can find an IPS panel with low response times and a high refresh rate.

Otherwise, either would be fine, an IPS monitor will give more accurate colors and better viewing angles, though also typically a higher response time, and lower refresh rate. (60hz is common, 120hz+ is uncommon)

or use a CRT tv lol 

DTQ19Z4SC.jpg

15 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Ah, that's the new one.

The predecessor has a review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm

I doubt, the newer one is any worse than that, probably even better. ^^

Check the IPS Review i have linked to tftcentral, they have the IPS + TN versions in their InputLag graph (just not the newer TN model).

Keep in Mind: IPS Panels with 1440p and 144+ Hz do ha ve quality issues. Backlightbleeding, stuck pixels etc etc. it's a quality control issue from the Panel manufacturer AU Optronics, that all Monitors use with these specs. Asus, Acer, AOC, Viewsonic, and other freesync variants. So it can be a bit of a lottery there. However, i guess Asus has a better control than like AOC~. From what i read. But still, you CAN be unlucky. Or lucky.

This might be interesting for you: 

@DarksethYeah that's the video. At 5 min 19s it shows that the ips version has lower input lag and its quicker overall than the tn. Wtf? I get that the "monitor lottery"could effect it slightly... but that can't be accurate can it?. I think this is the review that made me question getting the pg278qr. I mean it wouldn't be right if I didn't spend endless hours on every little decision amirite ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11 minutes ago, Drwilyam said:

or use a CRT tv lol 

DTQ19Z4SC.jpg

Solved.

1 minute ago, Pidgey said:

Solved.

myth busted! lol 

If you care about response time in competitive FPS, first make sure you play LAN all the time.

Single digit ping is the one and only king on public servers. You are always slower with shit ping, no matter how badass your gears are.

13 hours ago, Pidgey said:

@DarksethYeah that's the video. At 5 min 19s it shows that the ips version has lower input lag and its quicker overall than the tn. Wtf? I get that the "monitor lottery"could effect it slightly... but that can't be accurate can it?

Input lag isn't related to panel type, so why not? :P

53 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Input lag isn't related to panel type, so why not? :P

It just seems odd since the only reason to ever choose TN would be bc its supposedly quicker, so seeing as how this is basically the same monitor besides panel type, it just seems weird, and a little upsetting lmao

5 hours ago, Pidgey said:

It just seems odd since the only reason to ever choose TN would be bc its supposedly quicker, so seeing as how this is basically the same monitor besides panel type, it just seems weird, and a little upsetting lmao

TN are faster than IPS in monitors of a lower price point. You can buy 144Hz TN with something like $300 but you'll only find 144Hz IPS on top of the line products. So in your case you're aiming at the high end anyway, you don't have to make compromise of having TN.