X299 platform

Hello guys, Im planning a new custom modded build for this summer and was going for either a i7-6850k or i7-7700k. Still haven't decided on which, but the 6850k is currently on sale on newegg at like 16% off (800$ instead of 950$). However, I know Intel is gonna release their new extreme platform X299 on the new 2066 socket somewhere in August. This will include a 4 and 10 cores version, but no 6 cores version until 2H 2018 (basically one year later).

The issue is this, I mainly do gaming but I would also like to start streaming and making visual content which is why the 6 core (6850k) seemed the best bet because, while offering better multi-tasking performance, it still allowed for good gaming results. It also allows for a better SLI+ setup because you have more than one PCIex16 lane (with the 40+ pcie lanes). Now that Intel is gonna release their X299, I don't know what to expect from their 46 lanes 4 cores X299 processor. 

Should I wait for X299, or simply go for i7700k at 5.2GHz.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

Ryzen is cheaper and will perform great for content creation.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

wait for x299 especially if you are doing creative work or get ryzen. more than 2 gpu is not a good idea for gaming. 

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Ryzen is cheaper and will perform great for content creation.

Yeah but Ryzen gaming results aren't there and is one of the reasons I found the 6 cores more attractive than the 8 even from Intel. My main priority still remains gaming.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

Just now, TheRedViper said:

Yeah but Ryzen gaming results aren't there and is one of the reasons I found the 6 cores more attractive than the 8 even from Intel. My main priority still remains gaming.

Ok, then get 7700k because as long as you use quicksync or shadowplay for streaming or recording then there will be no fps decrease.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Ok, then get 7700k because as long as you use quicksync or shadowplay for streaming or recording then there will be no fps decrease.

What about the 4 core extreme coming in August, have you heard anything about it?

What about the 4 core extreme coming in August, have you heard anything about it?

The 7700k is kaby lake, that will perform better than any skylake 4 core CPU.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, TheRedViper said:

I truly don't think they will make one. There just cutting off more cores(there won't be a 4c die).

If you want a quad core on 2011v3 you can get one, its just that there are very few who want/need that.

The extra pcie lanes won't make games any faster, even with 2 gpus(and don't run any more than that for games)

Id probably get ryzen. Its not much worse in games. You wouldn't notice it.

There are a few issues here, and I will elaborate on them here:

1. You could get a much better deal with AMD right now:

AMD has the new Am4 platform which will include Ryzen, and whatever "Zen+" is in 2018.

That means you can upgrade to AMD's next gen processor on the same chipset, making an upgrade much cheaper.

Secondly, Ryzen performs just as well as intel in most games, and the few that it performs worse in only does so by 10% or so, with GTA 5 performing far worse due to the latency issues with Ryzen's core complex system.

Not only that, but AMD's Ryzen has higher minimum framerates, and can easily get up to 75FPS or even 144FPS in games if you have a good GPU.

2. Dual GPU SLI with Nvidia is terrible. Quite a few games do not support it, and it does not work very well.

It is much better to get a single good GPU than the SLI multiple worse GPU's from what I have seen and heard.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The 7700k is kaby lake, that will perform better than any skylake 4 core CPU.

Hum yeah but they're releasing a Kaby-Lake extreme 

extreme intel modif.png

2 minutes ago, TheRedViper said:

Skylake E isn't even here yet...

So you're going to be waiting a loooong time before you see any kaby lake E chips.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, He_162 said:

There are a few issues here, and I will elaborate on them here:

1. You could get a much better deal with AMD right now:

AMD has the new Am4 platform which will include Ryzen, and whatever "Zen+" is in 2018.

That means you can upgrade to AMD's next gen processor on the same chipset, making an upgrade much cheaper.

Secondly, Ryzen performs just as well as intel in most games, and the few that it performs worse in only does so by 10% or so, with GTA 5 performing far worse due to the latency issues with Ryzen's core complex system.

Not only that, but AMD's Ryzen has higher minimum framerates, and can easily get up to 75FPS or even 144FPS in games if you have a good GPU.

2. Dual GPU SLI with Nvidia is terrible. Quite a few games do not support it, and it does not work very well.

It is much better to get a single good GPU than the SLI multiple worse GPU's from what I have seen and heard.

That part with Nvidia SLI isn't exactly true. At higher res like 2k-4k the benchmarks seem to prove otherwise even though the 1080ti has weird issues right now like techtomorrow showed, the SLI scaling is still there.

15 minutes ago, TheRedViper said:

This always makes me laugh, Guys going on about how Ryzen sucks for gaming.. Nope it never sucked. Its just worse than the top Intels but by no measure is it a BAD cpu for gaming. hell at that merit a i3 or Celeron is also Bad for gaming, which it is, but for what you spending what exactly were you expecting, Same applies to Ryzen at its price so what if its worse than the intel, If it was within a few dollars of its Price than yes, we can punish it for been worse but at its price this "Bad" thing is so pointless. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

This always makes me laugh, Guys going on about how Ryzen sucks for gaming.. Nope it never sucked. Its just worse than the top Intels but by no measure is it a BAD cpu for gaming. hell at that merit a i3 or Celeron is also Bad for gaming, which it is, but for what you spending what exactly were you expecting, Same applies to Ryzen at its price so what if its worse than the intel, If it was within a few dollars of its Price than yes, we can punish it for been worse but at its price this "Bad" thing is so pointless. 

You're talking like everyone's priority is price. When your top priority is performance, if one performs 15% less but cost 35% less it stills performs 15% less, some people need to get that in their head. It's not people's fault AMD hyped Ryzen has being both revolutionary for multi-task AND gaming AT RELEASE. I don't know why you got triggered by my statement when it never said that Ryzen sucked at gaming but that the gaming results weren't there since we were talking at base about 7700k and 6850k.

6 minutes ago, TheRedViper said:

You're talking like everyone's priority is price. When your top priority is performance, if one performs 15% less but cost 35% less it stills performs 15% less, some people need to get that in their head. It's not people's fault AMD hyped Ryzen has being both revolutionary for multi-task AND gaming AT RELEASE. I don't know why you got triggered by my statement when it never said that Ryzen sucked at gaming but that the gaming results weren't there since we were talking at base about 7700k and 6850k.

not triggered.. the word laugh was even in my post :P

I just keep forgetting their are people with more money then brains.. anyways.. as you were :) 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Just now, Not_Sean said:

I just keep forgetting their are people with more money than brains.. anyways.. as you were :) 

That's rather subjective, since the performance difference is there, you cant say more money than brains. That would rather apply to someone buying a Titan XP over a 1080ti today.

14 minutes ago, TheRedViper said:

If you're running a 6700k at 4.2 right now, you may want to consider seeing what you can get out of it before moving to the 7700k.  There's just over 20% more out of a 7700k at 5.2 compared to a 6700k at 4.2 and if you can get that 6700k closer to 4.8, that gap obviously closes a little.

I can tell you that the 7700k at 5.2 or 5.3 GHz is pretty blistering fast as far as single-threaded performance, but you're going to have to invest a considerable amount of time and money it keeping it there daily.

I use my z270/7700k rig daily over my x99/5960x rig simply because single-threaded performance still matters more in most of the stuff I come across throughout a day.  My 5960x is no slouch and I've gotten as high as 1968cb multi and 196cb single out of it in Cinebench, which is definitely higher in both then any water cooled Ryzen setup I've seen to date, but my 7700k still punches my 5960x in the face when it comes to gaming.

I plan to upgrade my x99 platform to x299 as soon as it hits in hopes that Skylake-X is at or closer to Skylake/Kaby Lake IPC so I can go back to using bigger chips on a daily basis.  I like having the additional cores, but not if it's at the cost of a large dip in single-threaded performance.

That's rather subjective, since the performance difference is there, you cant say more money than brains. That would rather apply to someone buying a Titan XP over a 1080ti today.

I think it applies perfectly to this exact situation. Please tell me what exactly is wrong with your current setup that requires upgrading ? You want to start streaming/Content creating. a Few youtube channels with upwards of 1Mill subs are editing on macbooks and i5's.  very successful twitch streamers running off i5 and what not.

So what exactly is stopping you that you want to go and drop 1000's on a new setup ? if you just want to make your system more appealing over the summer why not buy a new case and do hardline cooling or a scratch build.

Redstone:

Obsidian:

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

If you're running a 6700k at 4.2 right now, you may want to consider seeing what you can get out of it before moving to the 7700k.  There's just over 20% more out of a 7700k at 5.2 compared to a 6700k at 4.2 and if you can get that 6700k closer to 4.8, that gap obviously closes a little.

I can tell you that the 7700k at 5.2 or 5.3 GHz is pretty blistering fast as far as single-threaded performance, but you're going to have to invest a considerable amount of time and money it keeping it there daily.

I use my z270/7700k rig daily over my x99/5960x rig simply because single-threaded performance still matters more in most of the stuff I come across throughout a day.  My 5960x is no slouch and I've gotten as high as 1968cb multi and 196cb single out of it in Cinebench, which is definitely higher in both then any water cooler Ryzen setup I've seen to date, but my 7700k still punches my 5960x in the face when it comes to gaming.

I plan to upgrade my x99 platform to x299 as soon as it hits in hopes that Skylake-X is at or closer to Skylake/Kaby Lake IPC so I can go back to using bigger chips on a daily basis.  I like having the additional cores, but not if it's at the cost of a large dip in single-threaded performance.

You made me realize I never updated that sig, I'm at 4.6 right now. I understand the faster single performance from the 7700k but the bigger chips still remain interesting, well have to see what X299 has to offer.

10 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

I think it applies perfectly to this exact situation. Please tell me what exactly is wrong with your current setup that requires upgrading ? You want to start streaming/Content creating. a Few youtube channels with upwards of 1Mill subs are editing on macbooks and i5's.  very successful twitch streamers running off i5 and what not.

So what exactly is stopping you that you want to go and drop 1000's on a new setup ? if you just want to make your system more appealing over the summer why not buy a new case and do hardline cooling or a scratch build.

A lot of streamers actually play low demanding games which only require an average PC. My current build was made to upgrade from my first personal pc from 2006 that was very outdated and couldn't run new games anymore. This build was my first custom PC so I tried things out but I didn't really discover yet what I was aiming for and my budget was more restrained. 

My new build is aimed towards being able to last a while and being satisfied with everything about it while it last. 

I'd just wait and see what it brings. Worst case scenario? You save a little more money on the CPU because new Intel chips have come out.

I highly doubt that an Extreme 4 core CPU is going to be much faster than the one you have now. The advantages you see from more PCIe lanes will affect your storage more than they will your graphics cards, so with the set up you have it might be worth it.

46 minutes ago, TheRedViper said:

So you're basing this on a CPU that hasn't been officially announced? It's probably not even real.

27 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

I just keep forgetting their are people with more money then brains.. anyways.. as you were :) 

Now now, don't be salty because you can't afford the upper echelon ;)

19 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

I agree with this completely.

@TheRedViper why don't you just use your system now? It's more than capable. All it will do is take a little longer. You're talking about dropping tons of money and yet you haven't even tried what you have? Seems odd. You don't even know if your channel will warrant that kind of expenditure, it's very possible that you won't gain traction at all.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

18 hours ago, TheRedViper said:

So the maximum framerate was lower, sure.

Ryzen still outperforms intel in every multithreaded task in gaming, Battlefield 1 for example, it gets lower minimum framerates, and is overall a smoother experience, so yes, getting intel gets you a nice shiny "higher FPS" score, but you will notice how it is less smooth than on a AMD system at this point. So pretending Ryzen is so much worse that you would prefer intel, simply because you just prefer intel is not ok.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

8 minutes ago, He_162 said:

So the maximum framerate was lower, sure.

Ryzen still outperforms intel in every multithreaded task in gaming, Battlefield 1 for example, it gets lower minimum framerates, and is overall a smoother experience, so yes, getting intel gets you a nice shiny "higher FPS" score, but you will notice how it is less smooth than on a AMD system at this point. So pretending Ryzen is so much worse that you would prefer intel, simply because you just prefer intel is not ok.

I couldn't care less about the brand. I didn't exclude Ryzen permanently, it is simply not in my consideration right now because of all the bugs and issues it faces. 

18 hours ago, dizmo said:

I'd just wait and see what it brings. Worst case scenario? You save a little more money on the CPU because new Intel chips have come out.

I highly doubt that an Extreme 4 core CPU is going to be much faster than the one you have now. The advantages you see from more PCIe lanes will affect your storage more than they will your graphics cards, so with the set up you have it might be worth it.

So you're basing this on a CPU that hasn't been officially announced? It's probably not even real.

Now now, don't be salty because you can't afford the upper echelon ;)

I agree with this completely.

@TheRedViper why don't you just use your system now? It's more than capable. All it will do is take a little longer. You're talking about dropping tons of money and yet you haven't even tried what you have? Seems odd. You don't even know if your channel will warrant that kind of expenditure, it's very possible that you won't gain traction at all.

I know that my build is technically fine, but im not completely satisfied with it. When I built it last year it was my first custom PC and especially my first high end experience. After a year, I kinda know what I want from it and where I want to go. Then again, I was only planning for this summer and seeing some interesting products coming out by then like vega and x299 il have to see if those are are good interesting enough to consider a change

3 hours ago, TheRedViper said:

I couldn't care less about the brand. I didn't exclude Ryzen permanently, it is simply not in my consideration right now because of all the bugs and issues it faces. 

Then your reasons for not considering it are hardly worthwhile.

Most bugs are gone, one large one that freezes PC's occasionally during VERY specific situations has a fix coming sooner than you can order and receive one, and it really doesn't have an issue to face.

On top of that, the AM4 platform is to be used for Zen+ and whatever "Zen 3" is. That means all you need to upgrade is a newer gen "Zen" and you can pop it in your mobo.