Durable wireless mouse (MX Master?)

Go to solution Solved by Jdnoss1234,

I have been running a MX Master 40 hours a week since it launched and it still looks brand new. It gets worked pretty hard as I do CAD work for a living.

My $7 Logitech G90 is finally giving out, and I'd like to invest in a wireless mouse that'll last me the next four years.

My initial inclination was that Logitech's highest-end mouse - the MX Master - would also be their most durable, and its durability and build quality was verified by @nerdslayer1, who owns one.

Am I incorrect about the durability of the MX Master? Are there any other recommendations you have for a wireless mouse that can really go the distance?

Regards,

Aereldor.

Oh yeah, MX master is my "daily driver" and I love it. its comfy and responsive and very smooth, super durable as well, 2 years or more of consistant use and basically brand new still

Edited by Damascus
durability info

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I have the MX Master and MX Anywhere. I highly recommend either of them. They're solid mice so long as you don't run them over with your truck or set them aflame.

If I recall Linus' review of it, he had concerns over the placement of some of the buttons.  Also, I don't know how much low latency and signal reliability is important to you but generally wireless mice are worse than wired.  There are some exceptions however, such as the excellent G900

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

If I recall Linus' review of it, he had concerns over the placement of some of the buttons.  Also, I don't know how much low latency and signal reliability is important to you but generally wireless mice are worse than wired.  There are some exceptions however, such as the excellent G900

Linus has tiny hands so he always has issues with button placement.

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I have the MX Master and MX Anywhere. I highly recommend either of them. They're solid mice so long as you don't run them over with your truck or set them aflame.

lol, yeap.  My brother slammed my mouse down so hard onto a set of keys the left click button popped up.  I was terrified but it went back in no problemo and no permanent damage at all.  Can't live without my free scroll either anymore

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

lol, yeap.  My brother slammed my mouse down so hard onto a set of keys the left click button popped up.  I was terrified but it went back in no problemo and no permanent damage at all.  Can't live without my free scroll either anymore

The free scroll on the Master is a godsend for work omg

5 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I have the Anywhere MX (that's how it's listed on the bottom of the mouse) and it's amazing. It can track on glass and pretty much anything. This thing has been thrown around so much in my bag and is used daily, and there's nothing wrong with it. I'd gladly buy another. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I know, I was using a low end gamer mouse with a standard scroll because I had no BT.  I was frothing at the mouth to get my precious back

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

I have the Anywhere MX (that's how it's listed on the bottom of the mouse) and it's amazing. It can track on glass and pretty much anything. This thing has been thrown around so much in my bag and is used daily, and there's nothing wrong with it. I'd gladly buy another. 

I haven't used mine as much yet as I'm trying to figure out a quiet place to go study after work. My area sucks.

Steel Series Sensei Wireless. I just bought one and I love it. Its not cheap though but it will last you.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/sensei-wireless

Capture.JPG.05b7bec53931ec919f635f8764f2ecef.JPG

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

A lot of Logitech mice have that, such as the Anywhere MX (using right now). 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

looks pretty good, though I've heard of issues.  I'd go with either MX master or MX anywhere over nearly any other mouse in the world.  Logitech earned my mouse budget until the end of time

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Capture.JPG.05b7bec53931ec919f635f8764f2ecef.JPG

Or if you are looking for cheaper go with the Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse. I have both the bluetooth and wireless models. I use thm with my laptops.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

A lot of Logitech mice have that, such as the Anywhere MX (using right now). 

The MX Anywhere has it? How did you turn it on? The G502 has it but you have to actually press the button to turn it on. The Master dynamically enables it depending on how fast you scroll.

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Or if you are looking for cheaper go with the Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse. I have both the bluetooth and wireless models. I use thm with my laptops.

i don't think someone looking for an MX masters that is going to last 4 years, is going to buy a cheap Microsoft wireless mouse. 

Just now, Kloaked said:

The MX Anywhere has it? How did you turn it on? The G502 has it but you have to actually press the button to turn it on. The Master dynamically enables it depending on how fast you scroll.

You push down the scroll wheel. There's another button for free page scrolling. 

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

You push down the scroll wheel. There's another button for free page scrolling. 

holy heckin gosh darn I was wondering why it didn't have this, but it actually does. Changed my life #blessyou

@Kloaked, @Damascus, @nerdslayer1- thank you for your responses.

The MX Master is $60 right now. Is it a good deal at that price? The G602 is $20 less, and the G700s is also usually $20 less (goes on sale frequently). 

@Aereldor Go for the MX master.  Check all prices first.  I don't think you'll regret any MX master

Just now, Aereldor said:

The MX Master is $60 right now. Is it a good deal at that price? The G602 is $20 less, and the G700s is also usually $20 less (goes on sale frequently). 

up to you, convenience of wireless mouse is worth it for me, combined with good build that is meant last.

6 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i don't think someone looking for an MX masters that is going to last 4 years, is going to buy a cheap Microsoft wireless mouse. 

They are not cheap I paid $50 for each. I have had both for over 4 years and they still look and perform like the first day I bought them, battery life is great 6-8 months.

I would put this up to an MX anyday, build quality and performance.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, Aereldor said:

The MX Master will be more comfortable to use imo.