nikon d5300 dlsr flash not working

as title says. flash will not work. flash pops up focuses properly and takes pics/video but flash does not work. any one know how to fix this? i cant find anything online but a fix for D70 which doesnt work on mine i tried, and "take to nikon repairer" any help appreciated.

Has it been excessively used?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

no my wife mostly shoots outdoors but we have had some family birthdays indoors and we noticed the flash not working. ive messed with the settings and reset to factory settings but still doesn't work. the camera is not even 2yrs old. my wife has taken approx 2-3k photos. 95% outdoors. 

2 minutes ago, SevereDevil00 said:

no my wife mostly shoots outdoors but we have had some family birthdays indoors and we noticed the flash not working. ive messed with the settings and reset to factory settings but still doesn't work. the camera is not even 2yrs old. my wife has taken approx 2-3k photos. 95% outdoors. 

Then I guess you could have it looked at by a professional. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

could i some how get my hotshoe to work in place of the onboard flash?

1 hour ago, SevereDevil00 said:

Yeah just use an external flashgun. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

Did you try to reset the camera to factory defaults?

15 hours ago, SevereDevil00 said:

48 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Did you try to reset the camera to factory defaults?

You gotta read the posts. 

15 hours ago, SevereDevil00 said:

13 hours ago, cc143 said:

Yeah just use an external flashgun. 

Yep, even if the pop up flash on the camera is not functional, the hotshoe should still be working and an external speedlight unit will work.

As to why the pop up one isn't working, it's best to have a technician look at it than trying to fiddle and repair it yourself if it's a technical fault.  There shouldn't be any option in the camera menu that disables the pop up flash though I do suggest you check inside the camera's custom settings menu and the settings for the flash are usually under the menu group "e", and make sure your mode dial is not set to the one with the line through the flash icon (the one between Auto and Scene).  If you're not sure what each custom menu option does, I suggest you read the manual.

D3S_0672-top-panel.jpg

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1 hour ago, Jamiec1130 said:

You gotta read the posts. 

I am so sorry.

Stick it in manual, tape the pop-up flash down (you're never gonna use it) and use an external. Pop-up flash is a waste of time and energy and serves no purpose other than one or two things:

1: Set off flashguns in Slave mode
2: Annoy surrounding people.