Laptop wifi antennas

WindirBear
Go to solution Solved by VVoltor,

You can get any old laptop antenna wires on eBay, they're pretty much the same for all laptops, won't cost much.

They're not connected together, just 2 separate wires.

You might be able to solder something, thin, non insulated wires should work but I think they should only be connected to the little pin in the middle, might be hard to solder

Chromebook laptop.

I'm assuming theses are the antenna ports.

Do they need to be connected together, or is it just 2 wires sticking out?

I don't have the wires, and I need to ghetto fix it. Will any soldered wire work?

Thanks

20170322_152809.jpg

20170322_152901.jpg

Those are definitely Wireless antennae mounts. I can't say any ol wire will work, but you might be able to get some antennae, or an ancient laptop on the cheap, if not free that you can salvage some out of. They've used those same plugs for quite a while. 

11 minutes ago, Blevins said:

Those are definitely Wireless antennae mounts. I can't say any ol wire will work, but you might be able to get some antennae, or an ancient laptop on the cheap, if not free that you can salvage some out of. They've used those same plugs for quite a while. 

Thanks, for now at least I'm going to put in some copper wires and see if that works. I don't have scrap antennas at the moment.

You can get any old laptop antenna wires on eBay, they're pretty much the same for all laptops, won't cost much.

You might be able to solder something, thin, non insulated wires should work but I think they should only be connected to the little pin in the middle, might be hard to solder

Does you mum know you're here?

13 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

I guess I'll wait and order some, if it must be centered :P

They are micro coaxial.  using a wire soldered to the center point might not help it work at all.  you'd get a very poor gain for reception.  The wires are cheap, and most laptops 8-10 years old have them installed somewhere in the chassis.  Some thrift stores have really old laptops for $5-$10.  just tear the laptop apart and snag the wires.  I do recommend not damaging or breaking the solder points to the actual antenna end.  That, too, can affect the reception.