What should I do?

I currently have a Z97 system with i7 4790k, works just fine, really fast performance. But I've been having issues with the m.2 support. I had gotten it working by cloning my Samsung SSD fresh install to my m.2 and was able to get it booting from that but last week I uninstalled the SSD and sold it to my friend and now my computer won't boot. I'm guessing it's a boot partition thing. Anyways, as someone who's probably going to go into computer science, computer programming in college, and someone who likes playing around with Adobe software I was thinking of ryzen. Not to mention my first chip was a 6300. What should I do?

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

3 minutes ago, Bit8xPr0 said:

What should I do?

This is why you don't clone HDDs or SSDs. It is sketchy and doesn't always work like you think it should.

Make sure your boot priority is correct and that your BIOS is indeed seeing the SSD.

beyond that, you may need to reinstall windows FRESH.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

This is why you don't clone HDDs or SSDs. It is sketchy and doesn't always work like you think it should.

Make sure your boot priority is correct and that your BIOS is indeed seeing the SSD.

beyond that, you may need to reinstall windows FRESH.

The thing is, it wouldn't boot at all without cloning. It would appear in windows, install, and when it does the usual restart to finish it would go back to the windows install USB, and when the USB was removed it would say, insert boot drive.

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

Just now, Bit8xPr0 said:

The thing is, it wouldn't boot at all without cloning. It would appear in windows, install, and when it does the usual restart to finish it would go back to the windows install USB, and when the USB was removed it would say, insert boot drive.

were you using a USB 3.0 port to install? Cuz that's generally frowned upon due to generic USB 3.0 drivers not really being well opimized for certain hardware.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Restore your bios to default settings, it might help.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

were you using a USB 3.0 port to install? Cuz that's generally frowned upon due to generic USB 3.0 drivers not really being well opimized for certain hardware.

Yeah, I was, is it that big of an issue? It finished the installing part, it just wouldn't boot the SSD. This was months ago though

You shouldn't upgrade your 4790K Unless you can get really good money for it. I upgraded from an i5 4690k @4.6GHz to a Ryzen 1700 @4GHz (because I sold it all for more than I paid two years ago) and I see very little in the way of performance improvements in most games. The only one I saw a huge difference in was Battlefield 1, which loves cores/threads.  But you already have 8 threads so a little bit of overclocking might be all you need if you can't get someone to take your i7 off you hands for a decent return.

As for your other problem, I agree with the others. Reset your bios (maybe even update it) and try a fresh install from a USB 2 port and cross your fingers.

Good luck!

19 minutes ago, Fraser Cow said:

You shouldn't upgrade your 4790K Unless you can get really good money for it. I upgraded from an i5 4690k @4.6GHz to a Ryzen 1700 @4GHz (because I sold it all for more than I paid two years ago) and I see very little in the way of performance improvements in most games. The only one I saw a huge difference in was Battlefield 1, which loves cores/threads.  But you already have 8 threads so a little bit of overclocking might be all you need if you can't get someone to take your i7 off you hands for a decent return.

As for your other problem, I agree with the others. Reset your bios (maybe even update it) and try a fresh install from a USB 2 port and cross your fingers.

Good luck!

Alright, I gotta transfer all my Important files tho

20 minutes ago, Fraser Cow said:

Which I guess I can't do because Windows explorer in the USB installer shows it needs to be formatted :/