Surface Pro 4 Review

Does anyone one know what are the lens put to the B-rolls? I mean the vintage one on the left here.

Screenshot from 5:32 here, but it's all around in the video

Capture.PNG

3 hours ago, QuadroShadow said:

Does anyone one know what are the lens put to the B-rolls? I mean the vintage one on the left here.

Screenshot from 5:32 here, but it's all around in the video

Capture.PNG

I think the one on the right is a sigma cine zoom lens. not sure about the other one.

18 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

clickbait_thumbnail.png.e689c3393f99a7bfecc9452ca98b0609.png

11 hours ago, Arcanekitten said:

I've got a Tim cook image on my end. 

I didn't know if this was the image Intended but as you mentioned it could be YouTube's fault. 

Sorry about that.

And for the original thumbnail. It's okay but I liked the previous thumbnails better. I already gave my opinion on the thumbnails in the Ryzen video forum post here :

Sigh... Here's what it looks like in our video manager:

88zKXcl.png

So like... YouTube pulling some bullshit again with not actually using the selected thumbnail :dry::dry: so frustrating some days.

RE: the thumbnails in general, I think we're going to do a video to address it at some point. The TL;DR is that the new ones work better based on how YouTube serves video so in order to stay relevant on the platform and not stagnate completely (not "because we're greedy f***s" or "because we're sellouts" or whatever other vitriolic comments people are making these days) we needed to adjust how we present videos through titles and thumbnails.

As I've said before (and I'm sure I'll say again), we screw up with this stuff sometimes. It's bound to happen when your only litmus test is to just push something out on the channel and see how the community reacts... but we truly do learn from those experiences and try to improve how we handle that aspect of the business.

who takes the time to look at the thumbnails? I get the alert for the thread post here, open the thread, click PLAY then click WATCH ON YOUTUBE button, I don't wait to look at thumbnails and I never really pay much attention to them on regular youtube. Titles are important though so it's easier to find things 6 months later and not get a video that is oh say SIMULATED Ryzen 5 and 3 performance when you are looking for ACTUAL benchmarks because they called it Preview, just saying.

but thats just my opinion, you guys have made your opinion clear on that one and we clearly aren't going to agree on that. Now lets just move on and hope you learned your lesson about clickbait and how your followers HATE channels that pull that crap.

5 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Sigh... Here's what it looks like in our video manager:

88zKXcl.png

So like... YouTube pulling some bullshit again with not actually using the selected thumbnail :dry::dry: so frustrating some days.

RE: the thumbnails in general, I think we're going to do a video to address it at some point. The TL;DR is that the new ones work better based on how YouTube serves video so in order to stay relevant on the platform and not stagnate completely (not "because we're greedy f***s" or "because we're sellouts" or whatever other vitriolic comments people are making these days) we needed to adjust how we present videos through titles and thumbnails.

As I've said before (and I'm sure I'll say again), we screw up with this stuff sometimes. It's bound to happen when your only litmus test is to just push something out on the channel and see how the community reacts... but we truly do learn from those experiences and try to improve how we handle that aspect of the business.

Nick, I must say that I quite liked the Corsair One review thumbnail. It was clean, and stylish, without being silly. I hope that trend continues :)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Nick, I must say that I quite liked the Corsair One review thumbnail. It was clean, and stylish, without being silly. I hope that trend continues :)

Not all products are as easy on the eyes as the One ;) haha. We'll see what we can do.

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

Not all products are as easy on the eyes as the One ;) haha. We'll see what we can do.

regardless of the thumbnail I still watch all LTT videos. I don't get why people judge content based on a single picture and put hate towards LTT at all

except the title you put up in the past with Ryzen 5 and 3.

@deXxterlab97@dalekphalm

In my opinion, if a content producer resorts to using clickbait almost exclusively, be it youtube channel or website, then their content is typically not that good. And as far as I'm concerned, LTT is holding true to that opinion and their content isn't worth a second of my time anymore.

And I'm not the only person to hold that opinion, we might be a small, rather vocal minority, or we could be a simple majority with few that are vocal about it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

13 hours ago, Drak3 said:

@deXxterlab97@dalekphalm

In my opinion, if a content producer resorts to using clickbait almost exclusively, be it youtube channel or website, then their content is typically not that good. And as far as I'm concerned, LTT is holding true to that opinion and their content isn't worth a second of my time anymore.

And I'm not the only person to hold that opinion, we might be a small, rather vocal minority, or we could be a simple majority with few that are vocal about it.

I don't watch LTT content as I don't personally find it very interesting, but I don't have a problem with clickbait thumbnails (assuming it's not too ridiculous) as long as the content and titles don't become clickbait.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

15 hours ago, Drak3 said:

@deXxterlab97@dalekphalm

There's a big difference between "clickable" and "clickbait" that most people seem to (or, in some cases it seems like choose to...) overlook.

Clickbait implies that there's some sort of "bait and switch" situation - and as much as some will vehemently disagree with this, the vast majority of our recent titles and thumbnails do not fall under that banner as the majority are representative of the content (yes we slip up or make bad choices or mistakes from time to time, we're happy to acknowledge that).

It sucks to hear that you don't enjoy our videos at this point - I hope that some of our future content can meet or exceed your standards and that we can find a way to renew your interest - but I truly do appreciate you making that decision based on the content itself rather than a silly thumbnail image or "edgy" title.

In terms of whether you're in a small vocal minority or a majority... that's really tough to say for sure, but the numbers point to "minority." I wish YouTube was more granular and could track user-by-user, but alas we can only monitor trends and make assumptions from there.

Views on both a per-video and overall channel basis are higher than ever before, subscriber growth is consistently either matching or exceeding previous non-CES month totals, engagements (anything that requires a click) are extremely high, and watchtime is at an all-time high in terms of total minutes and per-video minutes. So while there is a lot of negative feedback around the new style from individuals, the overall trend is growth and is showing few signs of slowing down or stopping any time soon.

9 hours ago, nicklmg said:

There's a big difference between "clickable" and "clickbait" that most people seem to (or, in some cases it seems like choose to...) overlook.

Clickbait implies that there's some sort of "bait and switch" situation.....

"Clickbait is a pejorative term describing web content that is aimed at generating online advertising revenue, especially at the expense of quality or accuracy, relying on sensationalist headlines or eye-catching thumbnail pictures to attract click-throughs and to encourage forwarding of the material over online social networks.[citation needed] Clickbait headlines typically aim to exploit the "curiosity gap", providing just enough information to make readers curious, but not enough to satisfy their curiosity without clicking through to the linked content." - Wiki

I'd consider something clickbait if the goal is to garner more attention than there would normally be. So a ridiculous thumbnail would definitely be clickbait.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 3/24/2017 at 8:36 PM, djdwosk97 said:

especially at the expense of quality or accuracy

This is the key line here in my opinion. The fact that this is given as an addition (especially) rather than a key part of the definition is mind-boggling to me, and I guess that's a great example of the fact that the term "clickbait" is NOT as clearly defined as many people make it out to be with their absolute declarations of "this video is 100% f$%ing CLICKBAIT!!!!!!!!!1111!!!"

On 3/24/2017 at 8:36 PM, djdwosk97 said:

I'd consider something clickbait if the goal is to garner more attention than there would normally be. So a ridiculous thumbnail would definitely be clickbait.

That's the definition of advertising - garnering more attention than there would normally be about a product (in this case a piece of content).

From dictionary.com:

"noun
the act or practice of calling public attention to one's product, service, need, etc., especially by paid announcements in newspapers and magazines, over radio or television, on billboards, etc.:"

A thumbnail or title is, in essence, an advertisement for a video or article - a way to grab eyes and get them on your "product," which in this case is the piece of content. Clickable titles or thumbnails can be created in an honest manner (whether the vocal group likes them or not is a totally different conversation, but not liking something doesn't make it clickbait) - the term clickbait implies dishonesty.

@nicklmg I agree, clickbait isn't inherently bad, and I don't really have a problem with clickbait thumbnails as long as the title and content are fine. And yes, advetising should by definition try to draw attention, and clickbait does a great job at that -- but clickbait advertising is still kind of a distasteful (that's not quite the word I'm looking for, but it will do) way to advertise imo.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

@nicklmg I agree, clickbait isn't inherently bad, and I don't really have a problem with clickbait thumbnails as long as the title and content are fine. And yes, advetising should by definition try to draw attention, and clickbait does a great job at that -- but clickbait advertising is still kind of a distasteful (that's not quite the word I'm looking for, but it will do) way to advertise imo.

Yes, actual clickbait is extremely distasteful - no argument there. I guess we just have a fundamental disagreement on what is classified as "clickbait," which seems to be one of the main issues whenever this debate comes up.

If a title and thumbnail are representative of the content, they are by definition not clickbait to me. As I've said all along here, clickbait implies that you are misleading a viewer/reader or misrepresenting the content that is behind that click. That's where the "bait" part of "clickbait" comes from.

Making a silly face in a thumbnail that shows the host of that video and the product featured within that video, and having a title of "THE FASTEST LAPTOP ON THE MARKET" if you're actually showing the highest-performing laptop at that given time shouldn't be classified as clickbait. It's a term that people use as a catch-all for "content that I didn't enjoy" or "content that I don't think should be made because I don't personally see a point to it."

I have no problem with someone saying that our thumbnails or titles are stupid, childish, etc. if we're making silly faces and using all caps. That's a personal preference thing. I just wish that people used a better or more descriptive label, or at least one that has an agreed-upon definition rather than just screaming clickbait all the time.

Genuine question. Why did LTT wait so long to review this? It's been out for about a year and a half now.

COMIC SANS

28 minutes ago, TopWargamer said:

Genuine question. Why did LTT wait so long to review this? It's been out for about a year and a half now.

It just kinda slipped through the cracks to be honest... We recently had a chance to get our hands on one so we figured we may as well grab it, and the piece of content actually ended up being pretty solid imo, especially thanks to the recent price drop.

On 3/28/2017 at 8:50 AM, nicklmg said:

It just kinda slipped through the cracks to be honest... We recently had a chance to get our hands on one so we figured we may as well grab it, and the piece of content actually ended up being pretty solid imo, especially thanks to the recent price drop.

But weren't you using it in your inventory system? I am sure I saw it in this video:

6 hours ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

But weren't you using it in your inventory system? I am sure I saw it in this video:

That's the SP3 :P