Google plans to speed up Android security updates

Today, Google announces that it will offer faster Android security patches later this year. However, it admitted that about half of all Android devices that were in use by the end of 2016 did not get a security update in the previous year.

it should be easier for device makers to roll out Android security patches in the future. In a chat with TechCrunch, Android security lead Adrian Ludwig stated that it has already reduced the wait time for new security patches in the US down from six to nine weeks to just a few days, in collaboration with both device makers and wireless carriers. He added that at the end of 2016, 78 percent of Android flagship devices in the US had the current security update installed.

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/android-security-updates-2017-758750/

Hopefully this starts to roll out to older devices not just this years' devices, just as my One M8 is chugging along perfectly fine, but it's just a bit frustrating that it's security patch is december 2015, almost 2 months before the update was released, and it's more and more concerning, after the leaks of the CIA and GCHQ tools they use to exploit android devices.
Device manufacturers need to held accountable for not released security updates to their devices as people trust them with their financial and personal information, and some don't even offer a single update after releasing a device.

Edited by GoodBytes
Layout fix and made it to follow posting guidelines

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

1 minute ago, yathis said:

Please avoid Google

That's kinda hard to do, considering google is everywhere, and have the world's most popular operating system and search engine

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

4 minutes ago, yathis said:

Please avoid Google

what does that even mean?

4 minutes ago, yathis said:

Please avoid Google

why? there just updates lol.

The geek himself.

Google knows almost everything about you:what you search (Google search), what messages you read (Gmail), what people visit a site (Google Analytics), what sites you visit (Google toolbar, lifetime Google cookies, DoubleClick tracking cookies) etc. but there still are some unknowns, from time to time. With a Google browser you can’t hide anything anymore.

They even censor search results.

@ashypanda - Not hard to do at all. Very easy actually.

@nerdslayer1 - https://www.wired.com/2012/06/opinion-google-is-evil/

I would argue, you would have to go out of your way to avoid google. 
By the way, just curious, what phone do you have? 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Just now, Being Delirious said:

That post is all the way from 2012.

Google are still a bunch of dumb smart people who have no grasp on what a final product should be, what a communication platform is, how their own UI guidelines work, and so on.

Even though I like my Pixel, I will be moving to the iPhone when the 8 (or whatever it'll be called) comes out. I'm tired of being a beta tester.

Just now, Kloaked said:

Google are still a bunch of dumb smart people who have no grasp on what a final product should be, what a communication platform is, how their own UI guidelines work, and so on.

Even though I like my Pixel, I will be moving to the iPhone when the 8 (or whatever it'll be called) comes out. I'm tired of being a beta tester.

eww apple.

The geek himself.

Just now, spiralfuzion said:

should i use bing? How about yahoo?

gonna throw up.

The geek himself.

1 who the fuck are you quoting

2. thats true for the most part

3. Google has good products 

4. i myself dont really care about the updates

2 minutes ago, JuztBe said:

what phone do you have?

Nortel Networks

eww apple.

I used to feel like that, but i've been considering jumping ship, as unless you get a pixel all OEMs drop the ball when it comes to support, and apple seems to be on top of it, and actually offers decent long term support for devices instead of 2 years if you're lucky.

Just now, ashypanda said:

I used to feel like that, but i've been considering jumping ship, as unless you get a pixel all OEMs drop the ball when it comes to support, and apple seems to be on top of it, and actually offers decent long term support for devices instead of 2 years if you're lucky.

Yeah, but to be honest, I jump from phone to phone anyways. And I have made custom ROMs for my 3rd gen Moto G so I can run 7th gen android.

The geek himself.

Yeah, but to be honest, I jump from phone to phone anyways. And I have made custom ROMs for my 3rd gen Moto G so I can run 7th gen android.

I've tried CM14.1 and LOS but i have to stick to stock because i use android pay. and i did get my hopes up with LOS as that actually let me register my bank card, but didn't work when i tried to make a transaction.

Just now, ashypanda said:

I've tried CM14.1 and LOS but i have to stick to stock because i use android pay. and i did get my hopes up with LOS as that actually let me register my bank card, but didn't work when i tried to make a transaction.

Yeah but I don't use Android Pay so it doesn't really matter to me.

The geek himself.

19 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I hate that I agree with you on this.  Really not keen on apple myself, as I've been down that road with them and it ain't much better.

BB OS, why have you forsaken me!?

That's great. But would also be nice to see faster release of newer Android version to devices.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |