Computer trips breaker when upon startup from sleep mode.

Minorika

I think that i tripped a breaker when i started my pc just a couple of minutes ago.

I was tired and put my pc to sleep mode and slept for about 2 hours after which i turned it on again and the breaker immediately tripped.

Could it be from my pc,s PSU?

I also noticed that the little green LED from my surge protector power strip is not glowing anymore.

Could the PSU have done that to?

My PSU is a Rhombutech 500w with 164 amazon.de reviews totaling 4 stars.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00O0UFD5I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 hours ago, Minorika said:

I think that i tripped a breaker when i started my pc just a couple of minutes ago.

I was tired and put my pc to sleep mode and slept for about 2 hours after which i turned it on again and the breaker immediately tripped.

I also noticed that the little green LED from my surge protector power strip is not glowing anymore.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00O0UFD5I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, sounds possible especially if the protection light is no longer on.

That light is connected to a type of fuse, but now that the fuse is burnt out the circuit is no longer complete. Hence no light.

It's not a race to the bottom.

19 hours ago, 0x1e said:

Yes, sounds possible especially if the protection light is no longer on.

That light is connected to a type of fuse, but now that the fuse is burnt out the circuit is no longer complete. Hence no light.

so should i buy a new psu?

I,ve also been thinking in getting a UPS.

3 hours ago, Minorika said:

so should i buy a new psu?

I,ve also been thinking in getting a UPS.

I would. It could be a one time thing, or it could be serious. I wouldn't take the risk.

Getting a UPS is the best idea. No harm can come from it.

It's not a race to the bottom.

On 3/22/2017 at 6:43 PM, Minorika said:

How many things do you have plugged into the power strip?

If you're drawing too much power from one power socket you can trip the breaker that way.

Make sure you're not trying to pull a ton of watts from a single wall outlet.

1 hour ago, 0x1e said:

I would. It could be a one time thing, or it could be serious. I wouldn't take the risk.

Getting a UPS is the best idea. No harm can come from it.

Ok and which one should i get?

It has to be for european outlets.

22 minutes ago, Eric The Tech Guru said:

If you're drawing too much power from one power socket you can trip the breaker that way.

Here,s the thing: i had my pc, monitor, printer, and my router plugged in the same power strip for over a month without trouble. I don,t think its too much power draw, but my PSU is a little over a year old now so it could be that. But as of right now my system is stable again. Should i get a UPS and new PSU? I would need to wait about 2 weeks until i have enough money.

1 minute ago, Minorika said:

Ok and which one should i get?

It has to be for european outlets.

Here,s the thing: i had my pc, monitor, printer, and my router plugged in the same power strip for over a month without trouble. I don,t think its too much power draw, but my PSU is a little over a year old now so it could be that. But as of right now my system is stable again. Should i get a UPS and new PSU? I would need to wait about 2 weeks until i have enough money.

I would try using a different power strip and seeing if you have similar issues, if you do, try an different PSU, if you still have issues, try a UPS, if the UPS doesn't work, return it and try a new PSU.

38 minutes ago, Eric The Tech Guru said:

probably nothing to do with the PSU, this guy has pointed out the obvious that OP probably just has too many thing plugged into one socket. I tripped my house once when i stupidly put 2 gaming rigs on a 4-way extension from one outlet, plus a mixer and speakers :P

gotta spread that shit out

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

1 minute ago, DnFx91 said:

probably nothing to do with the PSU, this guy has pointed out the obvious that OP probably just has too many thing plugged into one socket. I tripped my house once when i stupidly put 2 gaming rigs on a 4-way extension from one outlet, plus a mixer and speakers :P

gotta spread that shit out

on a serious note though does the psu arc when you jam the IEC in ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

The thing with breakers tripping, it generally means that you are drawing more than 15a /1500~1600W from it.(unless it's a 20a/30a one, which isn't really used for a typical outlet, unless it's a dedicated one for ACs/oven)

There's a good chance that multiple wall outlets are connected to the same breaker. Even more so if this is an older house.

If you've recently plugged in something like a small space heater or an Air conditioner in a different outlet, it could be on the same breaker as your computer, so when your PC starts up it trips the breaker because you are drawing more power than it is capable of.

I would suggest closing the breaker and going around the house to see if there's anything else that no longer gets any power.

If this is a very old breaker box, it might have fuses in it that are burnt out and you should change them ASAP. Though it's more likely to just use a circuit breakers. Those can also fail overtime, especially if they trip often.

As for the "green LED" on your surge protector, it depends what that LED means. On my surge protector I have 2 LED, one that lights up if a Ground wire exist and one that shows it has power.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

58 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

on a serious note though does the psu arc when you jam the IEC in ?

No, not that i ever remember.

58 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

The thing with breakers tripping, it generally means that you are drawing more than 15a /1500~1600W from it.(unless it's a 20a/30a one, which isn't really used for a typical outlet, unless it's a dedicated one for ACs/oven)

There's a good chance that multiple wall outlets are connected to the same breaker. Even more so if this is an older house.

If you've recently plugged in something like a small space heater or an Air conditioner in a different outlet, it could be on the same breaker as your computer, so when your PC starts up it trips the breaker because you are drawing more power than it is capable of.

I would suggest closing the breaker and going around the house to see if there's anything else that no longer gets any power.

If this is a very old breaker box, it might have fuses in it that are burnt out and you should change them ASAP. Though it's more likely to just use a circuit breakers. Those can also fail overtime, especially if they trip often.

As for the "green LED" on your surge protector, it depends what that LED means. On my surge protector I have 2 LED, one that lights up if a Ground wire exist and one that shows it has power.

Well it is an older house. (old military barracks which where converted into apartments)

And i don,t own a space heater or an air conditioner.

The fuses have been checked recently and the whole system is new and very sensitive so it springs into action very quickly.

And the green LED was the surge protection, i,m currently using the power strip like normal until i get a new one.