My PSU is very loud. Even at idle.

Aw_Ginger_Snapz

So I recently built a new PC for myself. It has a AMD R7 1700 at stock speeds (most of the time), a Gigabyte GTX 1070, an SSD and HDD, and a Asus B350 Prime Motherboard, all of which are inside the NZXT S340 case. To power these components, I have a EVGA NEX 750B power supply that I picked up new at Microcenter. When I first powered the PC, the I instantly noticed a squeaking sound coming from the machine. After further examination, I realized that the sound is coming from my power supply. I verified that it was the power supply by switching it out with my old EVGA 500w power supply which made no sound. Additionally, the sound doesn't sound to be coil whine, and the sound becomes louder as my system goes under load. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing the squeaking sounds, and any ideas on how to remedy this problem? Has anyone had a similar problem to this? 

Is it a loud fan? If so, you can replace it. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Is it a loud fan? If so, you can replace it. 

Any suggestions on replacements or guides to fix the fan?

Sure it's not coil whine? Maybe a dodgy fan... You could get a another fan, or RMA the whole unit.

If your old EVGA is fine, why not use that one?

Does you mum know you're here?

1 minute ago, Aw_Ginger_Snapz said:

You'd just open it up and replace it. Be careful though. Or you could just replace the entire thing. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, VVoltor said:

Sure it's not coil whine? Maybe a dodgy fan... You could get a another fan, or RMA the whole unit.

If your old EVGA is fine, why not use that one?

I have to use my old EVGA PSU for another system. I can't RMA the unit because I sent in the S/N for rebates. Therefore, EVGA will not take the PSU in for RMA. Unfortunately, I bought the PSU a month before Ryzen came out, and sent the barcode in for rebates as soon as I had my hands on it. So unfortunately, RMA is out of the question.

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

You'd just open it up and replace it. Be careful though. Or you could just replace the entire thing. 

I know, but what fan would I need? Is it a 2 pin, 3pin, or 4 pin fan? Is the fan wired differently than a normal header? would it require soldering? 

2 minutes ago, Aw_Ginger_Snapz said:

I have to use my old EVGA PSU for another system. I can't RMA the unit because I sent in the S/N for rebates. Therefore, EVGA will not take the PSU in for RMA. Unfortunately, I bought the PSU a month before Ryzen came out, and sent the barcode in for rebates as soon as I had my hands on it. So unfortunately, RMA is out of the question.

Maybe a nice Noctua fan?

5 minutes ago, Aw_Ginger_Snapz said:

Google much?  There's loads of detailed guides online. 

I'd make sure it really is the fan before doing anything though, either by unplugging it, or just jamming the fan so it won't spin.

2 minutes ago, Aw_Ginger_Snapz said:

I know, but what fan would I need? Is it a 2 pin, 3pin, or 4 pin fan? Is the fan wired differently than a normal header? would it require soldering? 

Depends on the power supply. Probably no soldering needed, if the fan speed is variable it's most likely a 3 pin but just check to make sure.

Has anybody had any issues with an EVGA PSU? I've owned at least 3. The first one was a 600w and was a pile of garbage, the second one was a 500w and works awesome, and now my third one is a 750w and is loud. The only reason I keep buying from EVGA is because they provide solid features for what you pay. I would have bought a 750w 80+ Bronze Semi-modular PSU from corsair, but that would have cost at least $100 at the time. But I stuck to EVGA because I got those exact specs for about $60 at Microcenter. I will probably never buy from EVGA again after this...  Any suggestions of good brands for the future?

1 hour ago, Aw_Ginger_Snapz said:

Has anybody had any issues with an EVGA PSU? I've owned at least 3. The first one was a 600w and was a pile of garbage, the second one was a 500w and works awesome, and now my third one is a 750w and is loud. The only reason I keep buying from EVGA is because they provide solid features for what you pay. I would have bought a 750w 80+ Bronze Semi-modular PSU from corsair, but that would have cost at least $100 at the time. But I stuck to EVGA because I got those exact specs for about $60 at Microcenter. I will probably never buy from EVGA again after this...  Any suggestions of good brands for the future?

Each company has lemons and crappier production lines, could have a lemon or went with a lower Tier level then your 500w.

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

The modified Yateloon D14BH-12 that's in this FSP build NEX750B / B1 isn't the quietest of power supplies. It was also used in their NEX-G / G1 series, in which the 750w model has shown to spun up to nearly 1000RPM at low loads and this is with a Gold efficiency power supply that will generate less heat than your B1 unit.

Most companies sell products at a wide range of quality with different pros/cons. It's up to the buyer to research on the product they are purchasing to make an informed decision on what to buy. If you don't, well, you can end up being upset with any particular company - causing you to think you probably never buy from them again.

EVGA have good to excellent options, but they also have some rather mediocre / poor options as well. The NEX750B is among the latter, which is understandable if it had been priced at $60 USD for a 750w unit.