Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Performance Previewed

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11201/qualcomm-snapdragon-835-performance-preview/6

It seems that recently Qualcomm invited many reviewers to its San Diego HQ to test phones built around its Snapdragon 835 SoC. These are development phones made by Qualcomm for hardware and software testing, so don't get too excited.

In what has become an annual tradition going all the way back to Snapdragon 800, Qualcomm invited the media to its headquarters in San Diego for some feature demonstrations and limited testing using the company's Mobile Development Platform (MDP) devices. These are fully functional tablets or smartphones in a slightly oversized, utilitarian chassis used for hardware testing and software development. The MDP for Snapdragon 810 took the form of a tablet, while Snapdragon 820 came inside a large smartphone with a 6.2-inch display. This downsizing trend continues for Snapdragon 835, whose MDP/S is a smartphone with 6GB of RAM, a 5.5-inch 2560x1440 display, and a small 2850 mAh battery. The use of a smaller chassis is encouraging, because it has less mass and surface area to absorb and dissipate heat. This suggests a lower TDP for the 835, but we'll need to measure power consumption to be sure.

The new Snapdragon 835 is an octa core big.LITTLE CPU based on Samsung's new 10 nm LPE lithography, with the power cluster containing 4 Kryo 280 cores at 2.45 ghz and the efficiency core containing 4 Kryo 280 cores at 1.90 ghz. These cores aren't completely new designs, as evidenced by the shared "Kryo" name, but they have some improvements that should bring about higher IPC. It also has a new GPU, the Adreno 540, which should bring a pretty substantial performance improvement compared to the Adreno 530 from the Snapdragon 820 and 821.

Anandtech was able to perform quite a few tests. Naturally, I'm not gonna put everything here, but I'll put a few of the benchmarks in order to give you a good idea of how the 835 performs.

First up is Geekbench 4's single threaded integer performance.

Geekbench 4 - Integer Performance
Single Threaded
  Snapdragon 835 Snapdragon 821
(% Advantage)
Snapdragon 810
(% Advantage)
AES 905.40 MB/s 559.10 MB/s
(61.9%)
714.47 MB/s
(26.7%)
LZMA 3.13 MB/s 2.20 MB/s
(42.3%)
1.92 MB/s
(63.0%)
JPEG 16.80 Mpixels/s 21.60 Mpixels/s
(-22.2%)
12.27 Mpixels/s
(36.9%)
Canny 23.60 Mpixels/s 30.27 Mpixels/s
(-22.0%)
23.63 Mpixels/s
(-0.1%)
Lua 1.84 MB/s 1.47 MB/s
(25.2%)
1.20 MB/s
(53.3%)
Dijkstra 1.73 MTE/s 1.39 MTE/s
(24.5%)
0.91 MTE/s
(90.1%)
SQLite 53.00 Krows/s 36.67 Krows/s
(44.5%)
33.30 Krows/s
(59.2%)
HTML5 Parse 8.67 MB/s 7.61 MB/s
(13.9%)
6.38 MB/s
(35.9%)
HTML5 DOM 2.26 Melems/s 0.37 Melems/s
(510.8%)
1.26 Melems/s
(79.4%)
Histogram Equalization 52.90 Mpixels/s 51.17 Mpixels/s
(3.4%)
53.60 Mpixels/s
(-1.3%)
PDF Rendering 50.90 Mpixels/s 52.97 Mpixels/s
(-3.9%)
43.70 Mpixels/s
(16.5%)
LLVM 196.80 functions/s 113.53 functions/s
(73.3%)
108.87 functions/s
(80.8%)
Camera 5.71 images/s 7.19 images/s
(-20.6%)
4.69 images/s
(21.7%)

The Snapdragon 835’s Kryo 280 CPU shows a noticeable improvement in integer IPC relative to the 820/821’s Kryo core. This is not unexpected, however, considering integer performance was not one of Kryo’s strengths. While most workloads see large increases, there are a few regressions too, notably in JPEG, Canny, and Camera. We saw this same performance pattern from Kirin 960’s A73 CPU as well. These integer results, along with L1/L2 cache behavior, match the A73’s unique performance fingerprint, confirming that Kryo 280’s performance cores are based on ARM’s latest IP.

Quickly comparing Snapdragon 835 and Kirin 960 Geekbench 4 Integer results also shows performance variations that cannot be fully explained by differences in frequency or normal testing variance. The differences only occur in a few specific tests and range from 9% to -5%, which again is not completely unexpected given the limited number of modifications the BoC license allows for semi-custom designs.

It's quite apparent integer performance was something Qualcomm focused on for Kryo 280. While the improvement over Snapdragon 820 varies from test to test, it's quite apparent Qualcomm definitely has improved. Kryo's integer performance was relatively weak compared to other SoCs, so it's nice to see that Qualcomm has caught up with the rest of the market here.

Moving on, we have Geekbench 4's Floating Point Performance.

Geekbench 4 - Floating Point Performance
Single Threaded
  Snapdragon 835 Snapdragon 821
(% Advantage)
Snapdragon 810
(% Advantage)
SGEMM 11.5 GFLOPS 12.2 GFLOPS
(-5.7%)
11.0 GFLOPS
(4.2%)
SFFT 2.9 GFLOPS 3.2 GFLOPS
(-9.7%)
2.3 GFLOPS
(25.2%)
N-Body Physics 879.6 Kpairs/s 1156.7 Kpairs/s
(-24.0%)
580.2 Kpairs/s
(51.6%)
Rigid Body Physics 6181.7 FPS 7171.3 FPS
(-13.8%)
4183.4 FPS
(47.8%)
Ray Tracing 232.6 Kpixels/s 298.7 Kpixels/s
(-22.0%)
130.1 Kpixels/s
(78.7%)
HDR 7.8 Mpixels/s 10.8 Mpixels/s
(-27.6%)
6.4 Mpixels/s
(21.9%)
Gaussian Blur 23.4 Mpixels/s 48.5 Mpixels/s
(-51.8%)
21.9 Mpixels/s
(6.7%)
Speech Recognition 13.9 Words/s 10.9 Words/s
(27.5%)
8.1 Words/s
(71.4%)
Face Detection 513.8 Ksubs/s 685.0 Ksubs/s
(-25.0%)
404.4 Ksubs/s
(27.0%)

Snapdragon 835’s Kryo 280 takes two steps backwards when running Geekbench 4’s floating-point workloads, finishing well behind Snapdragon 820/821’s Kryo core and even a little behind SoCs using the A72 core. Its IPC is on par with the Kirin 960’s A73 core, with even less variation between individual scores than we saw when running the integer workloads.

The A73’s slight performance regression relative to the A72, which also applies to the semi-custom Kryo 280, is a bit surprising, because their NEON execution units are relatively unchanged from the A72’s design. If anything, the A73’s lower-latency front end and improvements to its fetch block and memory system should give it an advantage, but that’s not the case. The A73’s narrower decode stage could limit performance for some workloads but not all. Both the Kirin 960’s A73 and Snapdragon 835’s Kryo 280 show reduced L2 cache read/write bandwidth (and lower L1 write bandwidth) relative to A72, which could also negatively impact performance.

Strangely enough, floating point performance seems to have regressed relative to Kryo. This shouldn't be too bad, since Kryo had very strong Floating Point performance, but it still is definitely a strange thing to see.

I'll skip the PCMark and Java Script tests, but the 835 is essentially near if not at the top in PCMark and is consistently number 1 or 2 out of the non-Apple SoCs in the JavaScript tests.

Now for the GPU tests.

Snapdragon 835’s updated Adreno 540 GPU shares the same basic architecture as Snapdragon 820’s Adreno 530, but receives some optimizations to remove bottlenecks along with some tweaks to its ALUs and register file. The Adreno 540 also reduces the amount of work done per pixel by using improved depth rejection, which could further improve performance and reduce power consumption.

Qualcomm is claiming a general 25% increase in 3D rendering performance relative to the Adreno 530 in S820. While not officially confirmed, it appears that Qualcomm is using the move to 10nm to increase peak GPU frequency to 710MHz, a roughly 14% increase over S820’s peak operating point, which would account for a significant chunk of the claimed performance boost.

I won't bore you guys with all the test. Here's one that's relatively representative of the other tests:

494715BA-3DF8-4D13-A8E7-DC09E470FC2B-7462-000010C8D3D75124_tmp.png.133246e53efa908244b0a5781f4d88c5.png

As you can see, the new Adreno 540 GPU is now probably the most powerful smartphone GPU, beating out last year's Adreno 530 as well as the PowerVR GPU used in the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.

Now, onto something a bit more interesting... Power consumption!

Given that Qualcomm’s meeting room for press testing was only setup to test performance and not power consumption, it was only fitting that the company’s tour started at their power lab. Here, director of product management Johnny John had setup a demo comparing the power consumption of Snapdragon 820 versus 835. While the usual caveats apply – mainly, that this was a prearranged demo that we didn’t control – it none the less suitably highlights both the power consumption improvements of 835, and Qualcomm’s direction with balancing power consumption with performance for the new SoC.

For this demo, Qualcomm set up otherwise identical development phones running the SD820 and SD835 respectively. Both were running the same fixed VR workload as an example of a high power consumption task. Since this was a fixed workload, the faster SD835 phone in turn gets to bank the entirety of its advantage in power savings. Meanwhile to measure power consumption, Qualcomm’s power measurement gear tapped into the phones at the battery level, so these are phone-level measurements.

Qualcomm Power Testing - Device Level w/Fixed Workload
  Power Consumption
SD820 Reference Phone 4.60W
SD835 Reference Phone

3.56W

The Snapdragon 810 really failed hard at power consumption. More insight was recently provided in Anandtech's Kirin 960 review, which you can find here.

It showed, the 810 consuming around double the power of other SoCs at the same number of cores utilized (It was consuming 8 watts of power at 3 cores utilized). Snapdragon 820 was a huge jump from this, and it seems Qualcomm has further improved power efficiency with the 835. This is definitely a good step forward.

As noted earlier, all of these results came from pre-production hardware and software that’s under Qualcomm’s control, so performance could still go up or down once retail units begin shipping; however, based on these preliminary numbers and feature additions, the Snapdragon 835 looks like a solid evolutionary upgrade over the S820.

The Snapdragon 835 is looking like a great evolutionary upgrade to the 820. I look forward to seeing the next generation of smartphones utilizing this SoC.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, Ezio Auditore said:

'previewed'........... 

Hey, it's not a complete hands on test in all aspects, though I do admit Anandtech seems to have been able to run all the test the normally do so it seems like a bit more than a preview :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Tataffe said:

That's what you call a preview.

C'mon this is Anandtech we're talking about. Everyone knows Anandtech preview = 0.95*Anyone Else's Review!

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hmm looks decent. Interesting to see the regressions, wonder why Qualcomm chose to not develop their own core this time around as they did for 820/821.

Definitely an evolutionary upgrade, hoping for something more revolutionary in the 2018 flagship generation driven by AR/VR pushes.

It'll be interesting to see how much of the efficiency gains are from the shrink to 10nm as opposed to the architecture change.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

29 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

Hmm looks decent. Interesting to see the regressions, wonder why Qualcomm chose to not develop their own core this time around as they did for 820/821.

Probably because the performance and power efficiency was worse than what ARM designs offer. The custom Kryo cores only had floating point going for it; the rest was pretty mediocre if not bad.

They probably needed more time (or didn't want to spend the resources) to bring Kryo to the top.

So a semi-custom A73/A53 design was the best solution, which is why it regressed in floating point performance. This is also why it mirrors the Kirin 960. It's largely the same design.

I'm wondering why no one has a A35 cluster out yet. It seems everyone except Mediatek avoids it. This was a golden opportunity to get it out in a Qualcomm chip.

A53 is getting old and the replacement will probably be announced at the end of the year at which point it'll take at least another year before a chip implementation will ship.

The A35 should be a better fit until then. Lower power, similar performance and less area. 

57 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

C'mon this is Anandtech we're talking about. Everyone knows Anandtech preview = 0.95*Anyone Else's Review!

That was probably aimed at LTTs Ryzen 3 and 5 videos. 

What I'm interested is 835 vs new Exynos in multi threaded performance. I don't need huge graphics power, I want more multitasking power and that's the real winner here. Same how 820 had better graphics but 8890 (was that zhe name?) was better for multitasking. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

performance seems good, but too bad i'm avoiding qualcomm like the plague, until they sort out their lazy driver updates and support their products for longer than 18 months.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

2 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

'previewed'........... 

2 hours ago, Tataffe said:

That's what you call a preview.

pre·view

ˈprēˌvyo͞o/

noun

an inspection or viewing of something before it is bought or becomes generally known and available.

How is this not? Did you expect a video or a picture of the processor just sitting there? Or maybe a video of the S8 running, which would be an S8 preview not a 835 preview. What's shown here is far more important than the former.

I'm not trying to criticize you, I just don't understand what you expected from a processor preview besides benchmarks before the processor is available.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

pre·view

ˈprēˌvyo͞o/

noun

an inspection or viewing of something before it is bought or becomes generally known and available.

How is this not? Did you expect a video or a picture of the processor just sitting there? Or maybe a video of the S8 running, which would be an S8 preview not a 835 preview. What's shown here is far more important than the former.

I'm not trying to criticize you, I just don't understand what you expected from a processor preview besides benchmarks before the processor is available.

What they're saying is this preview goes pretty deep into the benchmarks, performance, and IPC of the 835. It goes as far into the 835 as most reviewers would with their full on reviews. Of course it is technically still a preview, but it goes pretty deep in and shows some pretty nice numbers as well as does a good bit of analysis about what exactly is under the hood in the 835. 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

pre·view

ˈprēˌvyo͞o/

noun

They're meme'ing the LTT Ryzen 5 and 3 video.

2 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Those Bastards.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

3 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I get the slight confusion xD

2 hours ago, Kloaked said:

He's correct. I just had to mock it :)

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

4 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Same how 820 had better graphics but 8890 (was that zhe name?) was better for multitasking. 

Its the Exynos 8890 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

16 minutes ago, Tataffe said:

I get the slight confusion xD

He's correct. I just had to mock it :)

YOU"VE FOOLED ME FOR THE LAST TIME!

Seems like just a modest upgrade in performance, but okay it is smaller and that is a good thing.

Groomlake Authority

11 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Seems like just a modest upgrade in performance, but okay it is smaller and that is a good thing.

And more power efficient ;)

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

It's very decent upgrade yeah. Wish to see new Exynos too :)
Though on a sidenote, how come only Apple is going with 2 massive performance cores, hence single threaded score (and lately added 2 efficient) while for Android phones It's more cores but smaller and weaker as far as single threaded performance. There's even that 10 core SoC with 3 clusters.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

51 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Though on a sidenote, how come only Apple is going with 2 massive performance cores, hence single threaded score (and lately added 2 efficient) while for Android phones It's more cores but smaller and weaker as far as single threaded performance. There's even that 10 core SoC with 3 clusters.

Money. Apple doesn't mind spending on big dies which costs a lot more to produce. That and iOS is a very different beast, so it's still not entirely fair to do a straight comparison.

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

No idea, my best guess is "Oh look at our phone's CPU!!! It has 8 cores!!!" but I'm not sure.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Don't care about the 835, I want to see the 660.

With how good the 650 was and the phones it was in costing roughly $200, there's no shitting reason to be excited for an 835.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Skimming through this I can't seem to tell, but was it going to be exclusive to Samsung as it had seemed or is it just a sorta Samsung gets first dibs on it then other OEMs can get it too? Or what's the deal with that? Because like the LG G6 is still on pre-orders so like it could be possible for LG to revise it with a Snapdragon 835?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

54 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Skimming through this I can't seem to tell, but was it going to be exclusive to Samsung as it had seemed or is it just a sorta Samsung gets first dibs on it then other OEMs can get it too? Or what's the deal with that? Because like the LG G6 is still on pre-orders so like it could be possible for LG to revise it with a Snapdragon 835?

According to rumors, Samsung gets first dibs. LG could have announced the G6 with a Snapdragon 835 if they wanted, but then they'd have to delay it for quite some time and they did not want that.

And they won't change from the 821 to the 835 in the middle of production.

If you order the G6, you will get a 821.