Which headphones to buy?

Vishvas Sudarshan

I want to buy a pair of headphones, which I'm gonna wear everyday, so I'm looking for ones which don't cause any pain even after wearing for a long time.

Open or closed, you guys please tell which will best suit me, as I have no idea about how they differ in their sound.

My budget is  $100 (max) ~ ₹6500. I would really love it if your suggested pair is available on amazon.in , even if it isn't, please suggest, I'll try to find it elsewhere.

Thanks in advance! :) 

Edit: I'll need one with a mic! and I'll also be using it for gaming!

If you game, or really like music with more bass, the HyperX Cloud is good. It is very comfortable but a bit big.

From what I know, the Audio Technica ATH M40X is a good choice for an all round pair of headphones for that price. 

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

From what I know, the Audio Technica ATH M40X is a good choice for an all round pair of headphones for that price. 

They are perfect, except it doesn't have a mic. I'm extremely sorry that I for to mention that! :( 

Any other pair you know of? :) 

Just now, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

They are perfect, except it doesn't have a mic. I'm extremely sorry that I for to mention that! :( 

M40X is fairly flat, not good for music. The clouds have a decent mic that I would compare to the Modmic

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

M40X is fairly flat, not good for music. The clouds have a decent mic that I would compare to the Modmic

I listen to music too, there are many Hyper X 'Clouds', can I just pick any which is in my budget? Or do you suggest any particular one?

2 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

Any other pair you know of? :) 

You could look at adding a mic to them rather than buying a headset. Have a look at something like a Modmic from Antlion, though it may knock the price up a bit too much for you. It does allow you to detach the mic though, so if you want to take the headphones out for mobile listening, you don't have to have a mic on them. 

Just now, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

I listen to music too, there are many Hyper X 'Clouds', can I just pick any which is in my budget? Or do you suggest any particular one?

Get the original HyperX Cloud, they are cheapest and almost as good as the rest.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You could look at adding a mic to them rather than buying a headset. Have a look at something like a Modmic from Antlion, though it may knock the price up a bit too much for you. It does allow you to detach the mic though, so if you want to take the headphones out for mobile listening, you don't have to have a mic on them. 

Modmic isn't very good.

9 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

yes

Is the Cloud II worth its price? Do I get any additional comfort or is it just the 7.1 surround and noise cancellation?

And what about the Cloud Core? Its almost half the price, huge performance and comfort cut ?

:) 

the cold and hard truth is: there is no good headset (that's what you actually meant, not headphone) below 100 bucks. Go get something from Sennheiser (like GSP 300 / PC 320).

I will get hate for what I say now but so be it: Avoid HyperX, total garbage. Also avoid any 7.1 stupidity, it just doesn't work, decent stereos will sound much better. If you can save up: have a look at Byerdynamic Custom One Pro (not pro plus) + modmic.

7.1 surround is mostly marketing bullsh*t. Also, yes, 100$ is pretty low for headphones, 

I'd refer you to the Audio Board's Recommanded Gear (pinned topic) for more advice, select something with a sound signature that sound fun to you, and see if there's other additions (mic, foldable, detachable...) you'd want.

I haven't tried HyperX Cloud yet because I avoid gaming brands for headphones, but it gets recommended a lot around here. With reason?

As for my personal recommendation, I like my ATH-PDG1 for gaming for its built-in mic, but there's no comparison with my audiophile-grade Fidelio X1 that I sometime use with my PC. Both are around $150.
If you really want a mic but don't want to sacrifice sound quality, I'd recommend Audio Technica (ATH) or Sennheizer gaming series.

[Insert smart comment here]

6 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

the cold and hard truth is: there is no good headset (that's what you actually meant, not headphone) below 100 bucks. Go get something from Sennheiser (like GSP 300 / PC 320).

I will get hate for what I say now but so be it: Avoid HyperX, total garbage. Also avoid any 7.1 stupidity, it just doesn't work, decent stereos will sound much better. If you can save up: have a look at Byerdynamic Custom One Pro (not pro plus) + modmic.

I understand what you want to convey, the modmic takes up half my budget, so I have $50 left for the headphones. Can I get a decent pair within this budget?

Also I don't want 7.1 or anything like that. And I don't hate you! xD

4 minutes ago, jldjul said:

7.1 surround is mostly marketing bullsh*t. Also, yes, 100$ is pretty low for headphones, 

I'd refer you to the Audio Board's Recommanded Gear (pinned topic) for more advice, select something with a sound signature that sound fun to you, and see if there's other additions (mic, foldable, detachable...) you'd want.

As for my personal recommendation, I like my ATH-PDG1 for gaming for its built-in mic, but there's no comparison with my audiophile-grade Fidelio X1 that I sometime use with my PC. Both are around $150

I understand that $100 is low. But I just can't spend more on headphones. Anything I buy for $100 will definitely be better than what I have now ( <$40).

15 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

How is HyperX garbage? They sound great for such a low price

5 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

I understand what you want to convey, the modmic takes up half my budget, so I have $50 left for the headphones. Can I get a decent pair within this budget?

Also I don't want 7.1 or anything like that. And I don't hate you! xD

modmic is trash even compared to HyperX cloud 2 mic. The 7.1 in the Cloud 2 is terrible and useless. The main advantage of the 2 is that it has a better mic. My audio setup was so cheap lol, the Snowball iCE was 40 CAD on amazon, the HyperX cloud was from NCIX tech fair giveaway. For music and gaming, there isn't much better than the HyperX cloud and a Snowball (iCE) but you need a portable mic.

3 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

modmic is trash even compared to HyperX cloud 2 mic. The 7.1 in the Cloud 2 is terrible and useless. The main advantage of the 2 is that it has a better mic. My audio setup was so cheap lol, the Snowball iCE was 40 CAD on amazon, the HyperX cloud was from NCIX tech fair giveaway. For music and gaming, there isn't much better than the HyperX cloud and a Snowball (iCE) but you need a portable mic.

Yeah gonna have to disagree with you there. I'm 110% sure the Modmic sounds miles better in terms of audio fidelity than the one on the Clouds.

Also, if you're on a budget, sure, the HyperX Clouds are an okay "all in one" solution. However, there are other options that also fit in that budget which would arguably get you more for your money.

@Vishvas Sudarshan what I would suggest for gaming are a pair of open back headphones (they generally get you a wider sound stage, which is more "immersive") and a separate desktop mic, not a modmic as I don't personally feel that the modmic is worth the money.

For example, I would suggest a Beyerdynamic DT 910 and something like a Blue Snowball. This may be a tad over budget though, but you may be able to shop around and be able to get them both.

5 hours ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

Is the Cloud II worth its price? Do I get any additional comfort or is it just the 7.1 surround and noise cancellation?

And what about the Cloud Core? Its almost half the price, huge performance and comfort cut ?

:) 

They are all the same headphones, take whichever is the cheapest.

Cloud 2 has an included soundcard. 

Cloud Core has no in-line volume control if i remember correctly.

5 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

M40X is fairly flat, not good for music.

flat =/= bad for music. It just means they're versatile and not specializing.

4 hours ago, jldjul said:

it gets recommended a lot around here. With reason?

They're a rebrand of the Takstar Pro 80. They sound pretty good, has bass but seems to lack some clarity and treble sparkle (personal analysis). 

headsetsFP4-6.png

2 hours ago, Kloaked said:

For example, I would suggest a Beyerdynamic DT 910 and something like a Blue Snowball. This may be a tad over budget though, but you may be able to shop around and be able to get them both.

the Blue Snowall is pretty awesome. I bought it as a solution for a two-gamer environment (me and my roomate) and it is wonderful. Damn ugly though, so if you find something at the same price/performance don't hesitate.

Also, it's a pleasure to not have a side mic on my face.

[Insert smart comment here]

8 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Yeah gonna have to disagree with you there. I'm 110% sure the Modmic sounds miles better in terms of audio fidelity than the one on the Clouds.

Also, if you're on a budget, sure, the HyperX Clouds are an okay "all in one" solution. However, there are other options that also fit in that budget which would arguably get you more for your money.

@Vishvas Sudarshan what I would suggest for gaming are a pair of open back headphones (they generally get you a wider sound stage, which is more "immersive") and a separate desktop mic, not a modmic as I don't personally feel that the modmic is worth the money.

6 hours ago, jldjul said:

the Blue Snowall is pretty awesome. I bought it as a solution for a two-gamer environment (me and my roomate) and it is wonderful. Damn ugly though, so if you find something at the same price/performance don't hesitate.

Also, it's a pleasure to not have a side mic on my face.

Well I searched many websites, but if I buy headphones and a mic it does cost me more than a headset. Yes I really like your ideas but I just can't do it now (Considering I'm not earning now (16), so I don't want to spend a tonne of my parent's money). :) I'll surely do this for my next pair later down the line!

7 hours ago, HydraGaming said:

They are all the same headphones, take whichever is the cheapest.

Cloud 2 has an included soundcard. 

Cloud Core has no in-line volume control if i remember correctly.

flat =/= bad for music. It just means they're versatile and not specializing.

They're a rebrand of the Takstar Pro 80. They sound pretty good, has bass but seems to lack some clarity and treble sparkle (personal analysis). 

Okay I'm kinda settling on the Cloud now. Should I go for it?

5 hours ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

Okay I'm kinda settling on the Cloud now. Should I go for it?

They're pretty good, i would like to warn you however that the pads are quite shallow. Investing in a pair of new HM5 pads might be something you want to look into.
(The clouds have ~5mm of foam inside the cup to prevent direct contact with hard plastic).

@Daniel Z. @Oshino Shinobu @jldjul  @Kloaked @HydraGaming

Hello guys! I got the HyperX Cloud. Its amazing (at least, compared to my previous headphones).

Yes its not the best, but it does what it says pretty darn well !

I wanted to thank all of you for helping me make my decision! xD