CRT Monitor Cuts Off Edge of Picture

BristolBrick

I have a CRT. (How long since anybody said that on these forums?) I also have LCDs, but I'm experimenting with a CRT I got.

It cuts off the edges of the image, horizontally. I try to adjust it, but the wanker monitor won't let me make it any narrower. Zoom = 85% minimum and horizontal size is at minimum, I tried degausing and resetting and geometry options but nothing works. I can set the horizontal position so It only cuts off 1 side of the image, but it's far too much.

I also tried at different resolutions, but nothing works.

Using windows 7 with GTX 1060 3GB

___________________________SOLUTION_________________________________

Issue was that because it warmed up over time the gun in the back shot wider, and so all I needed was to cool it. Or generate less heat, by having it less bright.

TL;DR

Turn the brightness down.

2 minutes ago, BristolBrick said:

I have a CRT. (How long since anybody said that on these forums?) I also have LCDs, but I'm experimenting with a CRT I got.

It cuts off the edges of the image, horizontally. I try to adjust it, but the wanker monitor won't let me make it any narrower. Zoom = 85% minimum and horizontal size is at minimum, I tried degausing and resetting and geometry options but nothing works. I can set the horizontal position so It only cuts off 1 side of the image, but it's far too much.

I also tried at different resolutions, but nothing works.

Using windows 7 with GTX 1060 3GB

Your CRT - what input are you using for it?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Just now, bob51zhang said:

Your CRT - what input are you using for it?

Only thing it has, VGA. (Adapted from DisplayPort, but problems persist when adapting from DVI)

1 minute ago, BristolBrick said:

Only thing it has, VGA. (Adapted from DisplayPort, but problems persist when adapting from DVI)

This really shouldn't be the problem(but old tech is pretty unpredictable), but does it work when it's native VGA to VGA?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

It should have settings to control the top and bottom edge with, side to side movement, up and down movement, total width, total height, things like that. You've just got to really fiddle with it because it's a bitch.

Ah good old CRTs. Make sure your H and Z Positions are set correctly.

viewsonicp95fplus_menu1.jpg

2 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

This really shouldn't be the problem(but old tech is pretty unpredictable), but does it work when it's native VGA to VGA?

CRTs don't work the same way as LCD displays. They don't have auto-adjustment. You have to manually set the actual position of the picture yourself.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Haven't tested, but i will

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Ah good old CRTs. Make sure your H and Z Positions are set correctly.

viewsonicp95fplus_menu1.jpg

CRTs don't work the same way as LCD displays. They don't have auto-adjustment. You have to manually set the actual position of the picture yourself.

This doesn't work, I already set the H size to minimum and zoom to minimum, it still is too wide to not not the bezel.

4 minutes ago, BristolBrick said:

Haven't tested, but i will

This doesn't work, I already set the H size to minimum and zoom to minimum, it still is too wide to not not the bezel.

Can you show us a picture of what it currently looks like then?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Don't have a working camera, but basically like this:

Try setting your resolution to 800x600 instead of 1024x768

Try setting your resolution to 800x600 instead of 1024x768

I did, didn't work.

16 minutes ago, BristolBrick said:

I did, didn't work.

mhmmm.... is there a setting regarding size of the image within the sitting of your CRT? Fiddle around with those.

mhmmm.... is there a setting regarding size of the image within the sitting of your CRT? Fiddle around with those.

TRhe sitting of my crt? Do you mean the settings I can s=change with the buttons and knob on the front?

TRhe sitting of my crt? Do you mean the settings I can s=change with the buttons and knob on the front?

Yea. I don't know exactly how your CRT works as they're all laid out differently.

Yea. I don't know exactly how your CRT works as they're all laid out differently.

I have fiddled with all ofthe settings, and none reduced the image width by enough to fit on my screen.

Just now, Glenwing said:

Use the NVIDIA Control Panel, under Adjust Desktop Size and Position or something like that, there is a Scaling tab and a Size tab; on the Size tab there should be some adjustment options that will help.

I looked, the size tab doesn't show up for my CRT, but my LCD can see it fine.

6 hours ago, BristolBrick said:

Don't have a working camera, but basically like this:

Untitled.png

No modern phone, CRT monitor - do you actually live in the past? :D

Just now, DaMainMan said:

No modern phone, CRT monitor - do you actually live in the past? :D

How the fuck do you know I use a nokia 5110?!

Also I use LCDs mainly, just experimenting with a CRT.

Also, kinda yeah. Tablets are stupid. The cloud is stupid. I know what a musket is. Widescreen monitors are stupid too. Monarchies are better than republics.I like landlines. I hate Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

Yep, I kinda do live in the past.

9 hours ago, BristolBrick said:

wanker monitor

WTF is that, is that when your aim is bad and you hit the screen or is the screen literally wanking off onto you as you use it

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Just now, grimreeper132 said:

WTF is that, is that when your aim is bad and you hit the screen or is the screen literally wanking off onto you as you use it

No I was calling the monitor a wanker xD

14 minutes ago, BristolBrick said:

No I was calling the monitor a wanker xD

ok, so it's wanking off into your lap then as you use it, right good to know :P

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Just now, grimreeper132 said:

ok, so it's wanking off into your lap then as you use it, right good to know :P

Wanker works pretty well as a general purpose insult, like how 'gay' is used sometimes.