The best way to destory an SSD?

TheCherryKing
6 hours ago, laquine said:

I had the same problem with an ssd i bought off ebay as well. Happened to die do to the previous owner not properly cleaning the mineral oil off the inside of the drive. If you contact the seller and are nice and honest, then 9 times out of 10 they will help. If not then open a claim through ebay and theyll step in and refund.

They offered to refund or replace it. I must be able in ensure that the data is erased or corrupted beyond repair.

8 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

They offered to refund or replace it. I must be able in ensure that the data is erased or corrupted beyond repair.

I'm confused, so you bought an SSD off of Ebay and it doesn't show up as connected in any OS? If so then why are you needing to make sure information isn't recoverable off of it, since you weren't able to use it? If you were able to use it and wrote data to it and then it died then that's just what happens when you buy things used without a warranty. Sooo which is it?

5 hours ago, imreloadin said:

I'm confused, so you bought an SSD off of Ebay and it doesn't show up as connected in any OS? If so then why are you needing to make sure information isn't recoverable off of it, since you weren't able to use it? If you were able to use it and wrote data to it and then it died then that's just what happens when you buy things used without a warranty. Sooo which is it?

It worked for a few weeks. I cloned my OS from an old hard drive to the new SSD. After I tried to boot from the SSD for the first time it got permanently corrupted. I booted from the old hard drive. It still shows up in Windows but it has no drive letter and cannot be initialized. The SSD has a five year warranty. It was manufactured in 2014. Below is a screenshot of how it appears in Windows.

disk2.PNG.89603eccc288804f74b7fee8e52db6b2.PNG

11 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

It worked for a few weeks. I cloned my OS from an old hard drive to the new SSD. After I tried to boot from the SSD for the first time it got permanently corrupted. I booted from the old hard drive. It still shows up in Windows but it has no drive letter and cannot be initialized. The SSD has a five year warranty. It was manufactured in 2014. Below is a screenshot of how it appears in Windows.

Ok so it shows up in Task Manager so that means it's still there technically.

Does it show up in Disk Management as well? Can you screenshot it for me and let me know what it shows listed for the volumes?

Since it's showing up in Windows can you also try downloading CrystalDiskInfo and check the S.M.A.R.T readings on it and screenshot it for me as well.

CrystalDiskInfo can be downloaded here: http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

25 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

It shows up in Disk Management but not in CrystalDiskInfo.

Scratch that, I just noticed that in Task Manager it states that the SSD is a SCSI drive, that is your issue.

SCSI can use the SAS interface instead of SATA like most consumer/enthusiast motherboards. SAS is primarily found in the enterprise world as they offer much higher bandwidth options than SATA does. SAS has the SATA protocol built into to so SATA drives can work in a SAS controller, however the reverse is not true. This explains why it shows up in Windows but you're not able to initialize it or access any data on it as SAS can't communicate data over the SATA protocol.

In order to make this SSD work you'd need to buy an add in card to give your motherboard a SAS controller, however those aren't exactly cheap since they're used in the enterprise/workstation environment but here is what they have on Newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007607 600022629 4814 600022630 600022672&IsNodeId=1

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Scratch that, I just noticed that in Task Manager it states that the SSD is a SCSI drive, that is your issue.

SCSI uses the SAS interface instead of SATA like most consumer/enthusiast motherboards. SAS is primarily found in the enterprise world as they offer much higher bandwidth options than SATA does. SAS has the SATA protocol built into to so SATA drives can work in a SAS controller, however the reverse is not true. This explains why it shows up in Windows but you're not able to initialize it or access any data on it as SAS can't communicate data over the SATA protocol.

In order to make this SSD work you'd need to buy an add in card to give your motherboard a SAS controller, however those aren't exactly cheap since they're used in the enterprise/workstation environment but here is what they have on Newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007607 600022629 4814 600022630 600022672&IsNodeId=1

It is a SAS drive that is connected to a SAS controller. The drive worked for a couple of weeks until it was corrupted. It even had a partition and a drive letter.

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

It is a SAS drive that is connected to a SAS controller.

Ahh, I just assumed you were trying to connect it to a SATA controller since very few people on here use SAS.

Is it the only SAS drive you have connected or do your other drives use it as well?

Just now, imreloadin said:

Ahh, I just assumed you were trying to connect it to a SATA controller since very few people on here use SAS.

Is it the only SAS drive you have connected or do your other drives use it as well?

This is the only SAS SSD I have. The other SAS drives connected to the SAS controller are hard disk drives.

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

This is the only SAS SSD I have. The other SAS drives connected to the SAS controller are hard disk drives.

Ok, have you tried cleaning/formatting it via diskpart through the command prompt?

Just now, imreloadin said:

Ok, have you tried cleaning/formatting it via diskpart through the command prompt?

Yes I have. I get Data Error(Cyclic Redundancy Check).

11 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Yes I have. I get Data Error(Cyclic Redundancy Check).

Based off of what I could find via Google the only other thing you can try is to clean the contacts on the SSD and SAS controller itself to see if maybe it has a bad connection.

Other than that since you can't actually access the drive to initialize it via diskpart/diskmgr/anything else it sounds like the drive itself is dead so there isn't anyway the seller could recover the data. They'd have to unsolder the NAND chips from the drive itself and that's some like CIA level shit right there lol.

If the seller cannot recover data in anyway I guess it is okay to send the drive back to them as-is.