Personal Folding Server Rig - Project Steamroller

Alright, the individual on the other forum just stated the output he got with 1080Ti.  It is inline with the Titan X (Pascal).

Only major issue was stock cooler held back the cards.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, Nicnac said:

I'd use two gtx 1070s instead of a single 1080 on such a build

huh? Did you even look at the specs I listed?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

32 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Alright, the individual on the other forum just stated the output he got with 1080Ti.  It is inline with the Titan X (Pascal).

ok so that would mean better cooling solution. What was his hard numbers, average and such?

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Not surprising considering folding seems to scale with gaming rather than compute, but great to have confirmation!  thanks :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

huh? Did you even look at the specs I listed?

Sorry only read the first post

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

7 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

ok so that would mean better cooling solution. What was his hard numbers, average and such?

No hard numbers yet.  Hope he submits some data points to the data base.

I won't have a 1080Ti myself until the AIB ones drop (since ref don't have dual-DVI).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 hours ago, Nicnac said:

Sorry only read the first post

Ok but just to point out that if I am going to purchase a case for $1200 or $3400 why would I slack on the gpu?

In terms of folding power the 1070 doesn't hold much to the 1080TI.

The point of this project is to garner the best Folding power for cost and a 1070 would not cut it in this venue.

I am glad you want to give input but I suggest re-reviewing the post I made and give suggests based on that.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On March 23, 2017 at 0:54 AM, SansVarnic said:

Ok but just to point out that if I am going to purchase a case for $1200 or $3400 why would I slack on the gpu?

In terms of folding power the 1070 doesn't hold much to the 1080TI.

The point of this project is to garner the best Folding power for cost and a 1070 would not cut it in this venue.

I am glad you want to give input but I suggest re-reviewing the post I made and give suggests based on that.

I thought you were talking about 1080s, not 1080 tis Idk about the folding power of those but they are probably on par with the titan so in that case a 1080 ti is obviously the better choice. Last time I checked the database 1070s were outputting around 700k ppd and 1080s around 760k ppd. with such a small increase in ppd they are not worth it imo especially considering the price difference. With a 1080 ti you are in a totally different league though so that would definitely be the best choice. Again, thought you were talking about 1080s in the beginning, not 1080 tis

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

7 hours ago, Nicnac said:

I thought you were talking about 1080s, not 1080 tis Idk about the folding power of those but they are probably on par with the titan so in that case a 1080 ti is obviously the better choice. Last time I checked the database 1070s were outputting around 700k ppd and 1080s around 760k ppd. with such a small increase in ppd they are not worth it imo especially considering the price difference. With a 1080 ti you are in a totally different league though so that would definitely be the best choice. Again, thought you were talking about 1080s in the beginning, not 1080 tis

No worries, originally I was going to use 1080's instead of 1080Ti's.

I did not consider the 1070 and it's PPD as I did not look to see what its folding potential is. Your comment did not make sense to me as I was not aware of this information. If you had made that point originally I would not have been confused.

Thanks for the info. :)  It is appreciated.

*edit 

I will keep in mind this info for other future mid tier builds.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Last figures I saw were 1080s avg 850k PPD and 1070s avg 650k PPD. Based on UK pricing that puts them pretty well on a par in terms of value for money

11 hours ago, Hughesy26 said:

Last figures I saw were 1080s avg 850k PPD and 1070s avg 650k PPD. Based on UK pricing that puts them pretty well on a par in terms of value for money

So far I have been seeing about 680k avg peaking to 730k on my one 1080 but maybe I need to tweek a few things ... have to till wait until after I move though before I can work on that.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Sounds like a dodgy driver - I use 372.70 or 372.90. Anything newer will damage your PPD (including the driver windows 10 auto installs for you!). Or you could be running in a slower PCIE slot maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

So any change to the plan with the announcement of the new Titan XP? (What did Linus say we calling this now, Titan XPP? xD)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 3/29/2017 at 10:59 AM, Hughesy26 said:

Sounds like a dodgy driver - I use 372.70 or 372.90. Anything newer will damage your PPD (including the driver windows 10 auto installs for you!). Or you could be running in a slower PCIE slot maybe?

Good point, I will look into that.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So any change to the plan with the announcement of the new Titan XP? (What did Linus say we calling this now, Titan XPP? xD)

Well not yet, I spent last week moving into my new house so I have not been up on al the tech news so ididnt know the XP was announced. I will look it up.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Well not yet, I spent last week moving into my new house so I have not been up on al the tech news so ididnt know the XP was announced. I will look it up.

Yeah, I thought it was an April fool's joke at first, but it's real (Nvidia is really pulling an Ubisoft with these names... #justkeepdigging)

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/titan-xp/

Yeah, I thought it was an April fool's joke at first, but it's real (Nvidia is really pulling an Ubisoft with these names... #justkeepdigging)

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/titan-xp/

Holy Cow ... $1200.00, bit steep for the slots I will have available in this system. I will need some hard numbers before slapping down that amount of money.

Best better be worth while of a folder ... ha.

With this announcement I hope the Ti's drop in price... (one can hope hehe) most likely wont though.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Holy Cow ... $1200.00, bit steep for the slots I will have available in this system. I will need some hard numbers before slapping down that amount of money.

Best better be worth while of a folder ... ha.

With this announcement I hope the Ti's drop in price... (one can hope hehe) most likely wont though.

Yeah you'd definitely want to know the price is worth it, and I suspect it might not be, but we don't know yet.  Generally you want the best card you can get, as opposed to more weaker cards, but it is also important to consider the diminishing returns you will run into at the upper end of the spectrum.  When you do go to work it out, don't just look at total purchase cost vs performance; do a full lifetime cost calculation.  Figure out how many years you want to run this for, and how much your power costs.  With as many cards as you have, going for a couple years will be a hugely significant piece of the overall cost.

Yeah you'd definitely want to know the price is worth it, and I suspect it might not be, but we don't know yet.  Generally you want the best card you can get, as opposed to more weaker cards, but it is also important to consider the diminishing returns you will run into at the upper end of the spectrum.  When you do go to work it out, don't just look at total purchase cost vs performance; do a full lifetime cost calculation.  Figure out how many years you want to run this for, and how much your power costs.  With as many cards as you have, going for a couple years will be a hugely significant piece of the overall cost.

Agreed on all points. The plan is to have achieve a life span of about 5-8 years, 10 if I can get away with it. I know that a rig running 24/7 will be difficult for such a long lifetime but I have confidence. A good cooling setup will be the key here. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Agreed on all points. The plan is to have achieve a life span of about 5-8 years, 10 if I can get away with it. I know that a rig running 24/7 will be difficult for such a long lifetime but I have confidence. A good cooling setup will be the key here. 

Oh, that's longer than I thought.  I would be curious to see the result of a calculation comparing running this for the full 10 years, vs, selling it and building a new one 5 years in, in terms of total cost to total points earned over the 10 year span.  You might be surprised...

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh, that's longer than I thought.  I would be curious to see the result of a calculation comparing running this for the full 10 years, vs, selling it and building a new one 5 years in, in terms of total cost to total points earned over the 10 year span.  You might be surprised...

I'll have to sit down and do some math. Maybe when I have a little extra time I will post my findings, may take a few days to get it all together. I will have to take an educated guess on the ppd for the Ti and XP though.

Things to consider: initial cost of equipment, cost of electrical usage x 10 years and whatever else I am not thinking of. May have to break it down to dollar per million or so. With what I have at the moment in my current rig (1080): 700k avg daily x 365days x 10yrs x 4 (or 8) cards = 10,220,000,000 (20,440,000,000) ppd total. Now just need to figure my electric usage which I have no idea atm as I have not monitored that at all since I started using the card.

10+ trillion ppd over a 10 year span with 4 1080's sheesh. My mind is already spinning. I cant imagine the folding ppd possibility of an Xp card. O.o

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I'll have to sit down and do some math. Maybe when I have a little extra time I will post my findings, may take a few days to get it all together. I will have to take an educated guess on the ppd for the Ti and XP though.

Things to consider: initial cost of equipment, cost of electrical usage x 10 years and whatever else I am not thinking of. May have to break it down to dollar per million or so. With what I have at the moment in my current rig (1080): 700k avg daily x 365days x 10yrs x 4 (or 8) cards = 10,220,000,000 (20,440,000,000) ppd total. Now just need to figure my electric usage which I have no idea atm as I have not monitored that at all since I started using the card.

10+ trillion ppd over a 10 year span with 4 1080's sheesh. My mind is already spinning. I cant imagine the folding ppd possibility of an Xp card. O.o

Well, we can get a ball park figure using some common numbers.

Assume:

• 175 W per card (x8 cards)
  • 90% efficient PSU
  • 12 cents per kWh
  • 24/7 for 10 years

(175 x 8 / 0.9) [W] x 8765.76 [h/y] x 0.12 [$/kWh] x 0.001 [kWh/Wh] x 10 [y] = $16362.75 in power

Now you see why I say not to get too hung up on the cost of the cards themselves.  Just the electricity to run it will be considerable as well ;)

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Assume:

• 90% efficient PSU
  • 12 cents per kWh
  • 24/7 for 10 years

(175 x 8 / 0.9) [W] x 8765.76 [h/y] x 0.12 [$/kWh] x 0.001 [kWh/Wh] x 10 [y] = $16362.75 in power

Now you see why I say not to get too hung up on the cost of the cards themselves.  Just the electricity to run it will be considerable as well ;)

I will admit that even though the actual cost of electrical usage never really crossed my mind I knew getting into folding, electrical usage would part of the 'contribution' with folding. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 11.4.2017 at 7:05 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Assume:

• 90% efficient PSU
  • 12 cents per kWh
  • 24/7 for 10 years

Too bad a 1080ti actually uses more like 250watts. ;)  but damn, your electricity is cheap. I'm at like 21 Euro-cents for a kWh. 

For me that's the main point that keeps me away from such an idea. I'd be at roughly 3.5k € a year for electricity. The cost of the system is almost neglectable at that point. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

9 hours ago, FloRolf said:

Too bad a 1080ti actually uses more like 250watts. ;)  but damn, your electricity is cheap. I'm at like 21 Euro-cents for a kWh. 

For me that's the main point that keeps me away from such an idea. I'd be at roughly 3.5k € a year for electricity. The cost of the system is almost neglectable at that point. 

well it's easy enough to swap in numbers for your situation into what I've got there :)

• 3 weeks later...

This is a stretch, well quite the stretch but I came across this today and I am possibly considering adding it to my build project. I have not yet been able to fully figure out how to fit in as it is a different concept to what I am used to. If it is what it appears to be I can definitely save a lot of space and have plenty of slots to slowly upgrade the folding capacity over time in addition to the first server I build. This is the first system I have found that is designed specifically with a consumer GPU in mind instead of Tesla's and Quadro's.

http://www.onestopsystems.com/4u-compute-accelerator-geforce-gtx1080-gpus

This thing holds (I kid you not) 16 GPUs. :o

[click photo to enlarge]

Capture.JPG.c07b87aa6e750503dbaf55e296bdf5e4.JPGCapture.JPG.7ebedf641db65f5d181239895b488f82.JPG

Datasheet: http://www.onestopsystems.com/sites/default/files/pdf/454-4u_gtx1080.pdf

Supposedly if I read the data sheet correctly it either will be a stand alone machine or expands the current server setup to an additional 16 GPUs, I am leaning to the latter as it has on board IPMI &  SYSMON2 but no processor information is disclosed. I have made an inquire to the company that makes these and hopefully they will get back to me soon.

*edit

This product might be something of interest that could be reviewed by LTT  @LinusTech @Slick? Just a thought.

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER