Personal Folding Server Rig - Project Steamroller

**Disclaimer** This is a long duration project, I dont plan to produce a finished build until at least end of year earlier next if things work out well.

This Project Has Been Revived, Please click the link below to go to current on-goings. 👍

I will update link appropriately... unless you want to read the whole thing then you are very much welcome to do so 😉.

11SEPT2020

*Edit: Another Update 31AUG2022

Current revival!  18SEPT2022 Its almost alive!!

Man I think life is telling me not to complete this project, anyhow new update.

Possible future Folding/BOINC rig, I have been working on this idea for a bit over a 1 1/2 years now. 

All prices are USD and are current with the re-sellers I have researched so far as of 21March2017.

Specs;

Original Idea was to use a higher end CPU [previous cpu had hyper threading, I did not realize this then and changed to one with no hyper threading] and 980 TI's  but this is a better build I believe, much cheaper as well. The original price was upwards in the $10k.

Case: ASUS ESC4000 G3S (Includes MB & PSU)

x1

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2603 V4 1.7GHz 6-Core Processor

x2

Mem: Crucial 64 16GB (4 x 16 4GB) Registered DDR4-2133

x4

SSD: WD Blue PC SSD 250GB M.2 2280 SATA III 6GB S

x1

GPU: Asus TURBO-GTX1080-8G

x4

$4,089.14

This is my more recent idea but this one will be a bit harder to accomplish.

Case: ASUS ESC8000 G3 (Includes MB & PSU)

x1

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2603 V4 1.7GHz 6-Core Processor

x2

Mem: Crucial 64 16GB (4 x 16 4GB) Registered DDR4-2133

x4

SSD: WD Blue PC SSD 250GB M.2 2280 SATA III 6GB S

x1

GPU: Asus TURBO-GTX1080-8G

x8

$7,943.26

Thing is I can increase the core count with a different CPU and use either machine in double duty as either a home server or email server in addition to the Folding/BOINCing. The idea is there but I am still working on the details. I believe with the gpu I selected I can modify the cooler shroud for better flow of air.

Any solid and useful ideas or comments to improve on this would be appreciated.

Please be mindful that specs are to meet folding/boinc needs and and not high end top of the line specs, this would only be used/accessed by only me.

Edited by SansVarnic
Updated Information 05Nov2023

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Oh just wanted to point out the Server Case I chose and the GPU's both being ASUS is purely a coincidence, I chose the gpu for the shroud style and the obvious factory overclock. My second choice for the GPU's is EVGA.

*Edit #1 Changes

Memory from 64GB to 16GB (4 x 4GB) 2 modules per Processor.

Upgrade from ASUS TURBO-GTX1080-8G to ASUS TURBO-GTX1080TI-11G GPU's

Edited by SansVarnic

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Might consider waiting for Naples CPU to drop.  

Also, have you considered Supermicro? Example linked.  I've owned Asus server boards and had nothing but trouble with them.  That was 10 years ago, so it might habe cahnged.  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2NS-000A-00093&cm_re=7048GR-_-2NS-000A-00093-_-Product

Also, if you're going for 4x 1080's because of the cores available, consider the 1080ti. 3,584 vs 2,560 core count as well as faster memory bandwidth and 3 GB more.

1 minute ago, Evanair said:

Might consider waiting for Naples CPU to drop.  

Also, have you considered Supermicro? Example linked.  I've owned Asus server boards and had nothing but trouble with them.  That was 10 years ago, so it might habe cahnged.  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2NS-000A-00093&cm_re=7048GR-_-2NS-000A-00093-_-Product

Also, if you're going for 4x 1080's because of the cores available, consider the 1080ti. 3,584 vs 2,560 core count as well as faster memory bandwidth and 3 GB more.

I did not consider AMD when I first started this project with having no idea how AMD was going to tackle the market with it new processors. I may take a renewed look and see what I like. Thing is I am hoping to get started on making this project a reality by end of year this year. I am working on the funding portion at the moment.

Yeah I considered the Supermicro variant. When Linus did his 8 gpu thing last year I looked into SuperMicro. That tower you linked looks pretty nifty, though I was looking to stick with rack mount setup. I will continue to look and see what I find. If the tower setup deems the better build I am willing to go that route.

As for the 1080's I have considered the TI variant as well but for the moment I was considering price as a motivator but I will consider changing the build to include them instead of the non- ti's.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

That tower you linked looks pretty nifty, though I was looking to stick with rack mount setup

Most (and this included) Supermicro tower cases are 4U and can be mounted with the kit you can buy from them.

1 minute ago, Evanair said:

Most (and this included) Supermicro tower cases are 4U and can be mounted with the kit you can buy from them.

Ah, gotcha, good to know. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Can't speak to BOINC but folding is basically useless on the CPU.  A relatively weak and old GPU like a GTX 750 Ti will score north of 50k PPD, where as even a good (consumer) i7 will only net around 10 - 12k.  A good GPU could easily get 300k+ PPD, even breaking 1M with something like a 1080 Ti / Titan XP.

Also, that is an insane amount of RAM.  I don't know what exactly you'll be using it for in terms of a home server, but it better be memory hungry to make use of that since Folding sure won't :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Can't speak to BOINC but folding is basically useless on the CPU.  A relatively weak and old GPU like a GTX 750 Ti will score north of 50k PPD, where as even a good (consumer) i7 will only net around 10 - 12k.  A good GPU could easily get 300k+ PPD, even breaking 1M with something like a 1080 Ti / Titan XP.

Also, that is an insane amount of RAM.  I don't know what exactly you'll be using it for in terms of a home server, but it better be memory hungry to make use of that since Folding sure won't :P 

Well I know the folding will not use the memory but I am not positive how many of the slots I need to populate for this system. I want to take it down to 4 sticks (2 each cpu)  of 2GB each stick but at the moment this is the smallest I found for the price. That is available.

I have no plans to fold on the CPU's. It would be a waste I know.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I have no plans to fold on the CPU's. It would be a waste I know.

In that case just make sure you have a use for the CPUs :P  If I recall correctly, certain BOINC apps do use them, and can only use them, so that might be an option... contribute to both at once :D 

Also, iirc, folding likes to have 1 core free per GPU when using Nvidia, and just one core overall when using AMD, so you should be good on that front.  8 1080s will immediately put you to the top of the "top producers" list I believe, and should rocket you to a high rank in short order :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

In that case just make sure you have a use for the CPUs :P  If I recall correctly, certain BOINC apps do use them, and can only use them, so that might be an option... contribute to both at once :D 

Also, iirc, folding likes to have 1 core free per GPU when using Nvidia, and just one core overall when using AMD, so you should be good on that front.  8 1080s will immediately put you to the top of the "top producers" list I believe, and should rocket you to a high rank in short order :)

Yeah the plan atm is to have for the 8gpu build is one core per gpu and leaves me 4 left over so I can utilize the others for other purposes in the future or boincing or personal server etc....

I have done some estimated figures already using just 1080's (non ti) and the 8gpu build would produce roughly;

1080 est ppd being 700,000 p/day based on my 1 1080 card I own and fold on now.

Day: 5,600,000

Week: 39,200,000

Month: 156,800,000

Year: 2,038,400,000  <-- with this I would dominate the team in 6 or less months. :o

Using 1080 TI's;

1080 TI est ppd being 1.5mil p/day based on others saying they get from the Titan X

Day: 12,000,000

Week: 84,000,000

Month: 336,000,000

Year: 40,32,000,000

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Yeah the plan atm is to have for the 8gpu build is one core per gpu and leaves me 4 left over so I can utilize the others for other purposes in the future or boincing or personal server etc....

Spoiler

I have done some estimated figures already using just 1080's (non ti) and the 8gpu build would produce roughly;

1080 est ppd being 700,000 p/day based on my card.

Day: 5,600,000

Week: 39,200,000

Month: 156,800,000

Year: 2,038,400,000

Using 1080 TI's;

1080 TI est ppd being 1.5mil p/day based on others saying they get from the Titan X

Day: 12,000,000

Week: 84,000,000

Month: 336,000,000

Year: 40,32,000,000

Hm, it's hard to believe but if you really can more than double your output by using 1080tis, wouldn't that make more sense?  You could either get far more performance (if you stick with 8) or, if that's a bit too expensive, get the same performance with fewer cards.  This would free more CPU cores and would use less power too.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm, it's hard to believe but if you really can more than double your output by using 1080tis, wouldn't that make more sense?  You could either get far more performance (if you stick with 8) or, if that's a bit too expensive, get the same performance with fewer cards.  This would free more CPU cores and would use less power too.

Honestly to invest in the TI's I need some hard numbers first before buying that many. Shoot 8 non ti's will run me atm about $3,700 as it is. O.o

In addition I need both a price point and a hard ppd number to go by to get say the  Asus TURBO-GTX1080TI-11G or EVGA's version.

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I have time to work this out though. I figured this would take some time to iron out the particulars. :) 

This is why I made this post.

This or both rigs are my dedicated contribution because well I am dedicating the rigs in my Grandfather's name as he passed away due to cancer 2 years ago, I want to help more than I am now.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

40 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Um, CPU PPD has greatly improved with the A7 units.

One individual over on a different forum is pulling 150K out of a 6950X.

The next event on other forum board I will be testing out my 4770K on the new A7 units.

11 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Honestly to invest in the TI's I need some hard numbers first before buying that many. Shoot 8 non ti's will run me atm about $3,700 as it is. O.o

I think I seen one individual folding on 1080Tis.  Have to re find the post.  Since the monthly event is going on the other forum, the folding area is on fire at the moment.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Just now, Ithanul said:

The next event on other forum board I will be testing out my 4770K on the new A7 units.

I know but think of the cooling I would have to do with this server to pull that off.

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

I think I seen one individual folding on 1080Tis.  Have to re find the post.

That would be great if you find it. I will look as well.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

In addition I need both a price point and a hard ppd number to go by to get say the  Asus TURBO-GTX1080TI-11G or EVGA's version.

Yeah definitely wait and see when talking about this much money.  I wonder, if you drop the home server idea and use it exclusively for folding/BOINC, could you write off the cost of the machine and the electricity it consumes as a charitable donation on your taxes?  I would :P Seem fair to me...

At any rate, I just know that the best option is generally to get the highest performance card you can, assuming it isn't insanely expensive.  You'll make up the extra cost in other ways, including but not limited to reduced resource usage (CPU, PCIe slot count, etc.) and power over the course of a few years.

Just now, Ithanul said:

:o oh, I hadn't tried it in a while... good to know.  Still, if we compare the cost of a 6950X vs the cost of a GPU that will score that, still looks pretty shitty :P 

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I know but think of the cooling I would have to do with this server to pull that off.

That would be great if you find it. I will look as well.

True.  Water cooling would  definitely be required.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

:o oh, I hadn't tried it in a while... good to know.  Still, if we compare the cost of a 6950X vs the cost of a GPU that will score that, still looks pretty shitty :P 

Yep, I think some others on the other forum are doing some comparisons at the moment between their CPUs.

The monthly folding event is going on, so peeps tend to get talkative during it.

Though, the big folding war is already over.  Was a blast though.  Now to wait for the BOINC Pentathlon.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah definitely wait and see when talking about this much money.  I wonder, if you drop the home server idea and use it exclusively for folding/BOINC, could you write off the cost of the machine and the electricity it consumes as a charitable donation on your taxes?  I would :P Seem fair to me...

At any rate, I just know that the best option is generally to get the highest performance card you can, assuming it isn't insanely expensive.  You'll make up the extra cost in other ways, including but not limited to reduced resource usage (CPU, PCIe slot count, etc.) and power over the course of a few years.

I had not considered  the tax advantage ... I do my own taxes anyhow, I will do the research and see what I find. Great idea :D 

8 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

True.  Water cooling would diffidently be required.

Water cooling is a definite option I can do. Thing with space being a premium I would have to run the loop out of the box.... @LinusTech whole room cooling comes to mind here..... yes this could work.

Edited by SansVarnic
tagged Linus to give proper credit to the idea I just had.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Water cooling is a definite option I can do. Thing with space being a premium I would have to run the loop out of the box.... Linus' whole room cooling comes to mind here..... yes this could work.

Also keeps the computer from sounding like a blow dryer too. (Considering my two computers are by the living room)

Well, on the other forum board there is a peep with two 1080Tis folding in the event.  Hopefully tomorrow the person post some PPD numbers for the cards.

Just now, Ithanul said:

Also keeps the computer from sounding like a blow dryer too. (Considering my two computers are by the living room)

Well to help with cooling  this will be kept in the basement anyhow. I plan to keep this in an enclosed server rack that is filtered to ease dust maintenance as well.

Yeah I have put a lot of thought into this idea.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@LinusTech whole room cooling comes to mind here..... yes this could work.

You remember that that project actually ended in failure right? :P 

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You remember that that project actually ended in failure right? :P 

I do and I know why it did. I figured it out before the "series" ended. The idea is sound it just need to be applied correctly.

While waiting for each episode to air I would mentally work on the project myself to see what Linus was going to do next. By watching what he did and seeing what failed I have been able to determined what should have happened instead. I learned from his failure. :) 

*But for now I just need to work out the builds and get moving on those first. I will focus on the water cooling aspect at a later time.

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I do and I know why it did. I figured it out before the "series" ended. The idea is sound it just need to be applied correctly.

While waiting for each episode to air I would mentally work on the project myself to see what Linus was going to do next. By watching what he did and seeing what failed I have been able to determined what should have happened instead. I learned from his failure. :) 

*But for now I just need to work out the builds and get moving on those first. I will focus on the water cooling aspect at a later time.

It was a failure for 2 reasons imo:

1. the primary purpose of it was to keep the room cool by ejecting heat outside, which it did not accomplish because the masses of copper piping just radiated all the heat into the room anyway before even reaching the rad.
  2. the loop got polluted with crap which ruined all the piping, tubing and blocks

If you've got the system in your basement, normal cooling of any kind should be fine (assuming it's sufficient) since (presumably) noise won't be an issue, and it's probably cold down there anyway so you don't really need to set up an external rad like he did imo.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It was a failure for 2 reasons imo:

1. the primary purpose of it was to keep the room cool by ejecting heat outside, which it did not accomplish because the masses of copper piping just radiated all the heat into the room anyway before even reaching the rad.
  2. the loop got polluted with crap which ruined all the piping, tubing and blocks

If you've got the system in your basement, normal cooling of any kind should be fine (assuming it's sufficient) since (presumably) noise won't be an issue, and it's probably cold down there anyway so you don't really need to set up an external rad like he did imo.

Yup.

I never understood why they used copper piping, I mean Luke's dad who did the plumbing should have told them it would radiate the heat (that is if he had we weren't told if he did) they should have used anti-bacterial/fungal pvc which is a bit more expensive but worth it in the long run, and pvc can be easily insulated even though it does have some insulating properties already naturally.  As for the radiator the ones they used were not enough to successfully accomplish the task.

So yeah I am prepared to do better and succeed. B|

Either it is a secondary goal at this point so plenty of time to work out the kinks. ;) 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER