Looking for a new Router/Modem

So recently my PC has been disconnecting from internet (via Ethernet). 

Right now I have a "MOTOROLA SURFboard aXtreme Cable Modem & Wi-Fi AC Router"

So yea its been disconnection from my PC like crazy and I just decided to get a new one (or if one of you people know how to fix it)

I am getting about 54 up and 6 down

For the new router and modem I can't go above $200 and need at least 4 Ethernet ports. 

Thanks for the help

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x
CPU Cooler- Artic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm
GPU-  EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC ULTRA
RAM- CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB 3200Mhz 
PSU- Cooler Master MasterWatt 650 Watt
HDD- WD Blue 4TB
SSD- SanDisk Ultra II 500GB SATA III
Case- Custom Made Desk
Motherboard- ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming

Microphone- Blue Snowball Ice
Headphones- Razer Nari Ultimate
Webcam- Logitech c270
Monitors- MSI Optix MAG24C and Acer KA240HQ Abid
Mouse- Corsair Nightsword RGB
Keyboard- Corsair K95 RGB Platinum MX Speed

do not get a wifi combo modem/router, they are 100% junk. I deal with them everyday with my work as a network engineer and think they are the worst thing imaginable and would throw them all in the fire if it were up to me. 

First, what is the internet speed you get from your ISP? Do you know how many downstream channels they offer? 8, 16, 24, 32.. Do they run Docsis 3.0 or 3.1?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

13 minutes ago, DevilsHand676 said:

So recently my PC has been disconnecting from internet (via Ethernet). 

Right now I have a "MOTOROLA SURFboard aXtreme Cable Modem & Wi-Fi AC Router"

So yea its been disconnection from my PC like crazy and I just decided to get a new one (or if one of you people know how to fix it)

I am getting about 54 up and 6 down

For the new router and modem I can't go above $200 and need at least 4 Ethernet ports. 

Thanks for the help

I've put in the Arris Surfboard SB6190 which was phenomenal for my clients. they went from 56D/6U to 129D/15U which was what they were paying for. but they also got a AC Router to compensate for the Wifi Access, Typically you don't want an All in one to do it. Hope my input helped

5 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

do not get a wifi combo modem/router, they are 100% junk. I deal with them everyday with my work as a network engineer and think they are the worst thing imaginable and would throw them all in the fire if it were up to me. 

First, what is the internet speed you get from your ISP? Do you know how many downstream channels they offer? 8, 16, 24, 32.. Do they run Docsis 3.0 or 3.1?

We are paying for 50 down and i don't know what the downstream or Docsis is 

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x
HDD- WD Blue 4TB
Case- Custom Made Desk

Webcam- Logitech c270

1 minute ago, Adam Crow said:

I've put in the Arris Surfboard SB6190 which was phenomenal for my clients. they went from 56D/6U to 129D/15U which was what they were paying for. but they also got a AC Router to compensate for the Wifi Access, Typically you don't want an All in one to do it. Hope my input helped

do you have a router you would recommend to go with the modem?

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x
HDD- WD Blue 4TB
Case- Custom Made Desk

Webcam- Logitech c270

2 minutes ago, DevilsHand676 said:

do you have a router you would recommend to go with the modem?

i would say Asus make pretty good routers. i've installed 5 at businesses and residential alike and have no problem. it's the budget you're willing to spend is the case. the Arris is solid but it typically sells for $120-$130. now for asus it depends on the surroundings. and how big of a home you have AC1900 minimum i would honestly suggest unless you can fork out for the premium AC3200. but like i said its all how you use the internet. how many people are on it (including idle devices just connected)  AC3200 isn't needed if you light game and youtube watching etc. but if you have 32 devices hooked up to it. streaming 4k video multitasked workflow and needing that large radius than yes its applicable. 

6 minutes ago, Adam Crow said:

i would say Asus make pretty good routers. i've installed 5 at businesses and residential alike and have no problem. it's the budget you're willing to spend is the case. the Arris is solid but it typically sells for $120-$130. now for asus it depends on the surroundings. and how big of a home you have AC1900 minimum i would honestly suggest unless you can fork out for the premium AC3200. but like i said its all how you use the internet. how many people are on it (including idle devices just connected)  AC3200 isn't needed if you light game and youtube watching etc. but if you have 32 devices hooked up to it. streaming 4k video multitasked workflow and needing that large radius than yes its applicable. 

yea we have a family of 5 (with 3 desktops and 2 laptops (but only 2 of them do heavy gaming and they are both connected with Ethernet)) I was looking at routers and I would like your input on what you think is best (if you have the time) 

ASUS AC1750 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ABOJKS/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=them046f-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B008ABOJKS&linkId=d29fbc40fc5bb1f0abf1a9a21a7b7cd5

ASUS RT-ARCH13 https://www.amazon.com/RT-ACRH13-Dual-Band-AC1300-4-port-Gigabit/dp/B01LXL1AR8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1490139947&sr=1-1&keywords=AC+Router

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC 1750 https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1750-Smart-Router/dp/B00R2AZLD2/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1490139947&sr=1-2&keywords=AC+Router

ASUS RT-AC55U https://www.amazon.com/RT-AC55U-802-11ac-Dual-Band-wireless-AC1200-Gigabit/dp/B00TZ7GZ7Q/ref=sr_1_33?s=pc&dd=UuWTnGpsjnpq_GGGQDiD9g%2C%2C&ddc_refnmnt=pfod&ie=UTF8&qid=1490140982&sr=1-33&keywords=AC+Router&refinements=p_97%3A11292772011

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x
HDD- WD Blue 4TB
Case- Custom Made Desk

Webcam- Logitech c270

5 minutes ago, DevilsHand676 said:

just from my experience i have not had a good experience with Netgear. the Asus 1750 is appealing if buying from amazon but i would highly recommend to you that you may trying and sign up for fry's daily/weekly sales promotions. they usually sell routers for dirt cheap and you could use the promocode they give you on online purchases aswell (unless you live close to one). also, newegg is also a place to check deals. example, that nighthawk is on sale for 89.99 at Fry's. and newegg has 15% of routers till tomorrow but its usually a weekly ordeal

router.PNG

R2.PNG

1 hour ago, DevilsHand676 said:

We are paying for 50 down and i don't know what the downstream or Docsis is 

with 50 down you will be fine with a standard Docsis 3 modem that does 8 channels down, as this is likely what your ISP offers at a minimum. Something like a Motorola SB6141 would be ideal for you. 

For router, the adage of you get what you paid for is true. Try and get a good, quality router, not the cheapest you can find as it will cause all types of problems. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

33 minutes ago, Adam Crow said:

just from my experience i have not had a good experience with Netgear. the Asus 1750 is appealing if buying from amazon but i would highly recommend to you that you may trying and sign up for fry's daily/weekly sales promotions. they usually sell routers for dirt cheap and you could use the promocode they give you on online purchases aswell (unless you live close to one). also, newegg is also a place to check deals. example, that nighthawk is on sale for 89.99 at Fry's. and newegg has 15% of routers till tomorrow but its usually a weekly ordeal

router.PNG

R2.PNG

Okay I was told by another user that a Motorola SB6141 would be good for my current speed (50 down). It is cheaper to go with that one but is the ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 worth the extra $50-100 (depending on the store) 

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x
HDD- WD Blue 4TB
Case- Custom Made Desk

Webcam- Logitech c270

1 minute ago, DevilsHand676 said:

Okay I was told by another user that a Motorola SB6141 would be good for my current speed (50 down). It is cheaper to go with that one but is the ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 worth the extra $50-100 (depending on the store) 

well i suggest only for investment wise #1 you own it #2 its updated (see picture below) i left the article for you just if you desired to read. and #3 it's the one model ive used extensively that works with no problems.like i said it is your investment and they say it's good. i just threw in the factor of intense gaming to the mix and my personal experience with the model i suggested.

Article https://stickystatic.com/tech/sb6141-vs-sb6183-vs-sb6190-comparison-chart

router.PNG

The 6190 has issues from last a heard with the PUMA Chip that runs the modem. Some kind of Ping spike issues. Last I heard they were working on a firmware update, but I havent seen if they have issued the patch yet. 

I have the 6141 on Comcast. It works great. Only issue is, Comcast has it EOL for rented modems. Its fine for Retail use but some CSR's are fucking retarded and think its just EOL period and wont provision it. 

Id probably go with the 6183 just because its good with most Speed tiers. I dont know many ISPs that offer 1Gbps speeds on Docsis 3.0 most ISP's will wait till they upgrade to Docsis 3.1 to offer those speeds. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 3/21/2017 at 6:16 PM, Adam Crow said:

well i suggest only for investment wise #1 you own it #2 its updated (see picture below) i left the article for you just if you desired to read. and #3 it's the one model ive used extensively that works with no problems.like i said it is your investment and they say it's good. i just threw in the factor of intense gaming to the mix and my personal experience with the model i suggested.

Article https://stickystatic.com/tech/sb6141-vs-sb6183-vs-sb6190-comparison-chart

router.PNG

Thank you for the suggestions! I now have another question. What do I do with the old router? Can I just sell it on eBay (if so do I need to clear some information or something)

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x
HDD- WD Blue 4TB
Case- Custom Made Desk

Webcam- Logitech c270

1 hour ago, DevilsHand676 said:

Thank you for the suggestions! I now have another question. What do I do with the old router? Can I just sell it on eBay (if so do I need to clear some information or something)

sorry for the late response. i guess you could try searching your model and seeing what the price would be,,, i don't exactly know if you could. but in any case if they purchased it they would have to call up their ISP to configure it to theirs (as you would have to when you purchase a new router and installed it)

11 hours ago, DevilsHand676 said:

If the router is too old no one may want it. Generally you would reset the router before you sell it. This way it clears everything and sets it back to factory default. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.