Tons of Apple phones to be reset?!!!

http://www.securitynewspaper.com/2017/03/21/hackers-will-remotely-wipe-iphones-unless-apple-pays-ransom/

A group of hackers is threatening to reset many iPhones if they don't get paid 75000 dollars in Bitcoin or 100000 dollars in iTunes gift cards.

The hackers also uploaded a YouTube video of them allegedly logging into some of the stolen accounts. The hacker appears to access an elderly woman’s iCloud account, which includes backed-up photos, and the ability to remotely wipe the device.

Apple said that they won't reward hackers and they asked them to take down there YouTube videos.

This is really frightening and shows even apples closed ecosystem can be hacked.

2 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

A group of hackers is threatening to reset many iPhones if they don't get paid 75000 dollars in Bitcoin or 100000 dollars in iTunes gift cards.

For each iPhone  or for all? 

funy joke

apples closed bricked wall can always be opened with a cannon

pegasus

ill make sure to backup my photos though, if its not fake

but that's already a good thing, win win? (for me)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

-snip-

ill believe it when it happens

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, Fooshi said:

>in iTunes giftcards

You had all the opportunities in the world.

i have $50 in itunes and its fucking useless.

who wants $50 in itunes for some amount of money $50 in anything useful?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

To me it sounds like a bunch of idiots who don't have any data and are just hoping to make a quick buck.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I'll believe it when it happens...  Wondering if it might be people thinking they can spook Apple by saying they are going to use one of the security flaws published via Wikileaks.  If it's true, maybe I should dig out my old 3GS, boot it up and let them do a factory reset for me instead of doing it myself. xD

Could be fake, but better safe then sorry, just a warning to backup your Apple devices

It's probably fake. Even if it isn't the correct response is to ignore them, it's not apple's responsibility to pay such a ransom and doing so would encourage other scumbags to do the same.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Threats are only threats unless they make good on it.

Either way If I had an iPhone I would already have it backed-up so they can go ahead and reset it for all I care.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Itunes giftcards are often used as a form of payment in gray markets. Its why many places don't allow them to be purchased online along with other prepaid cards.

#WindowsMobilePhoneMasterRace

/s

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Such a fake.  Even if they had logins for 300 million iOS accounts, it's not like they could even remote wipe that many and Apple would probably be able to just roll back any backup deletions they do.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

#NoPhoneOSIsBetterThanAnother

On another note, this seems fucking stupid, especially with their payment preferences. Who the fuck's gonna ask for $100k in iTunes gift cards?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Well at least they are not stealing my nudes. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

"Hacking" ... Probably not a lot of hacking done. Leaked account information + old passwords + reset lost password on iCloud. 

So basically if you change your account password today, you'll be safe. 

Either way I am safe with 2-step.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

100000 dollars in iTunes gift cards.

xD WHAT!?  There are so many questions...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

Either way I am safe with 2-step.

2 factor and my password is more than 20 characters long and used nowhere but Apple.  Good luck.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

30 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

On another note, this seems fucking stupid, especially with their payment preferences. Who the fuck's gonna ask for $100k in iTunes gift cards?

Not sure if trolling or...

Oh, wait, actually I am sure.