Google Announces Android O Developer Preview

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/21/14990876/google-android-o-8-update-developer-preview-release-battery-life-notifications-api

Developer preview can be found here: https://developer.android.com/preview/index.html

jbareham_170321_1552_0034_v02.1490112501.jpg

From the Google developer page:

What is Android O?

The next version of Android, with new power and performance optimizations and many new ways to extend your apps.

NOTIFICATION CHANNELS 

PICTURE-IN-PICTURE 

AUTOFILL 

ADAPTIVE ICONS

From the verge:

Battery life

Google isn’t yet telling us everything that’s coming in O, but the marquee feature is meant to address a perennial smartphone problem that has seen equally perennial attempts at fixing it: battery life.

For O, Google is continuing its trend toward aggressively managing what apps can do in the background (as iOS has long done) to ensure that runaway processes don’t destroy your battery. As Android VP of engineering, Dave Burke, puts it: “We've put additional automatic limits on what apps can do in the background, in three main areas: implicit broadcasts, background services, and location updates.”

Notification Channels

Easier to judge: changes in the notification system in Android. It seems like notifications get tweaked with every iteration of smartphone software, but Android’s approach has generally been better than the competition’s. For O, the big change is that apps can “group” their notifications into categories called “channels.”

Picture in Picture

The update will allow users to continue watching a video on a corner of the screen while simultaneously using another app. For example, you can continue watching YouTube while also watching where your Lyft driver is on a map without swapping between the two. The feature is similar Samsung’s multi-window support, but Android O will let users set their own aspect ratios, and you’ll get custom interaction buttons like play / pause to directly support video display. “Other new windowing features include a new app overlay window for apps to use instead of system alert window, and multi-display support for launching an activity on a remote display,” Google says.

Autofill

Autofill APIs, which will make it easier for password managers to register themselves as the official autofill app for punching in your oft-entered yet still-sensitive information into other apps

Adaptive Icons

Google is also letting app developers create “adaptive icons,” which will change their look and shape depending on what home screen theme the user has opted for. That’s either a sign that theming is going to be a bigger deal than it used to be on Android, or it’s a sign that all those Android icon packs are getting popular but are still too confusing to set up for most users. Let’s go with both.

Miscellaneous Extras

• I’ve been told that the plan is not to allow Android on Chrome OS to stay a generation behind, but that after it exits beta this spring, it will be kept at parity with the current phone release.
  • A new pop-up window that apps can use instead of the system alert window (actually that sounds terrible)
  • New ways to support keyboard navigation, including especially arrow and tab button navigation
  • Support for fonts as full Android resources, so they can be used and defined more simply in XML layouts.
  • “Wide-gamut color for apps,” so that they can take full advantage of the stupid-good screens on flagship phones
  • A “telecom framework” so third-party VOIP apps can act like first-class phone apps as far as the OS is concerned
  • WebView (the thing that lets apps use the Chrome rendering engine to display web content) is going to work a little more smoothly because apps will have “multiprocess mode” enabled by default and handle crashes themselves. They can also use Google’s Safe Browsing verification to ensure users aren’t caught on phishing sites.
  • New Java stuff, including “Java 8 APIs and runtime optimizations” and “the new java.time API.” Google also claims the “Android Runtime,” the code behind the code that runs your apps, will be “faster than ever before, with improvements of up to 2x on some application benchmarks.”
  • Something called “Network Aware Networking,” which should allow Android devices to communicate directly with each other over Wi-Fi, even if the network isn’t connected to the internet
  • Google is aiming to improve sound quality with wireless headphones with “high-quality Bluetooth audio codecs,” as well as Sony’s LDAC codec.

Thoughts:

Looks pretty cool, lots of interesting new stuff as Google looks to be laying the groudwork for a merge between ChromeOS and Android. I'm especially excited about the wide colour gamut support and battery life push. Hopefully this means more apps will take advantage of some of the incredible screens out there and solve many of the 'Android OS' battery drain issues.

I've probably missed stuff, let me know if you spot anything and I'll add it to the OP.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

Any guesses what O means? 

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

This is really interesting! Is it for all phones or only for specific devices such as Pixel because I have a OnePlus 3T.  Looking great, have they announced a name and has Lineage said anything about Lineage 15?

When your contract gave you an non-google phone so you can't install the developer previews anymore ;(

2 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Any guesses what O means? 

Awesome-O

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

And I'm still running Gingerbread and Jelly Bean. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Android Oreo... LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Any other dessert or sweets that starts with the letter O, besides Oreo?

Next build P, probably won't be Pizza.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

If they were able to use Kit Kat with no legal trouble Oreo is probably correct.

Oatmeal Cookie is the only other feasible option I've heard, but it easily takes a back seat to oreo. Orange slice is another candy but even less feasible.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

What's funny is my Shield Tablet & Shield TV have both had Nougat for months and both have had multiple N updates too while my phone is still rocking Marshmallow with no Nougat in sight.

By the time my S6 gets N it will already have been superseded. Great job Samsung *slow clap*

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

What's funny is my Shield Tablet & Shield TV have both had Nougat for months and both have had multiple N updates too while my phone is still rocking Marshmallow with no Nougat in sight.

By the time my S6 gets N it will already have been superseded. Great job Samsung *slow clap*

I was just about to comment that. Im like GJ Samsung, whats worse is that while having Samsung's slow updates I also have to deal with the reluctance of AT&T to give updates as well. 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

14 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

If they were able to use Kit Kat with no legal trouble

That's because they licensed KitKat from Nestlé.

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I could make this up, literally as I pressed save on this ^ post my phone went off, the update to N has just been pushed by Vodafone UK and I'm downloading it right now!!

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

I could make this up, literally as I pressed save on this ^ post my phone went off, the update to N has just been pushed by Vodafone UK and I'm downloading it right now!!

Big Brother is listening.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Big Brother is listening.

TMuiJgS.jpg?fb

20 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

If they were able to use Kit Kat with no legal trouble Oreo is probably correct.

Oatmeal Cookie is the only other feasible option I've heard, but it easily takes a back seat to oreo. Orange slice is another candy but even less feasible.

Everyone was expecting Nutella for "N", so don't be so confident about oreo, pretty sure there's more sweets from "O" letter.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

TMuiJgS.jpg?fb

attachment.php?attachmentid=17900&d=1345

Just now, JuztBe said:

Everyone was expecting Nutella for "N", so don't be so confident about oreo, pretty sure there's more sweets from "O" letter.

None that are English. Google it if you don't believe.

7 minutes ago, JuztBe said:

Yeah but Oreo's are Nabisco, owned by Kraft Foods, owned by Nestle who makes Kit Kat. So it's essentially a company that's already done this with android in the past.

Not saying it's set in stone, but it just makes Oreo even more likely of a choice.

Hopefully this means Bluetooth 5 in most new mobile devices including in-ear monitors by the end of the year. Am excite.

15 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Yeah but Oreo's are Nabisco, owned by Kraft Foods, owned by Nestle who makes Kit Kat. So it's essentially a company that's already done this with android in the past.

Not saying it's set in stone, but it just makes Oreo even more likely of a choice.

Wouldn't Google only have to go through Nabisco. I mean either way it's totally possible that because of Nestle they may do it again. I'd love to see there be some sort of promotion done with oreos and android.

Like either a free year of Youtube red or some Google play gift cards and maybe like a pixel and pixel xl giveaway that's be cool

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, wcreek said:

Wouldn't Google only have to go through Nabisco. I mean either way it's totally possible that because of Nestle they may do it again. I'd love to see there be some sort of promotion done with oreos and android.

Like either a free year of Youtube red or some Google play gift cards and maybe like a pixel and pixel xl giveaway that's be cool

Or a free year of Oreo's with a Galaxy S8 purchase