Build help

I'm about to build my first computer but I'm not sure about all the safety procedures I should take. I got an anti static wrist strap and I know I should attach the clip to the metal vent thing on the psu but do I need other protection as well? I am going to try to use the motherboard box as a sort of test bench but if I put the motherboard on carpet is that going to possibly hurt it?

To be honest just clip it to ANY metal part of the case (when the power supply is in) and then plug the power supply in (don't turn it on), then the entire case should be grounded.

Just now, TheNewPCMan said:

t if I put the motherboard on carpet is that going to possibly hurt it?

yes, build it on a table 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

yes, build it on a table 

A wooden table won't hurt it? Then why does Luke recommend to put it on the box instead?

Just now, TheNewPCMan said:

A wooden table won't hurt it? Then why does Luke recommend to put it on the box instead?

..... build your computer on the box on top of a table instead of carpet.

3 minutes ago, TheNewPCMan said:

I'm about to build my first computer but I'm not sure about all the safety procedures I should take. I got an anti static wrist strap and I know I should attach the clip to the metal vent thing on the psu but do I need other protection as well? I am going to try to use the motherboard box as a sort of test bench but if I put the motherboard on carpet is that going to possibly hurt it?

Best to build on a solid non-conductive surface.  If you don't have a table, grab a wooden plank or small sheet of plywood.

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

..... build your computer on the box on top of a table instead of carpet.

Oh thank you!!

Sounds like you've got a pretty good procedure already. Just plug your power supply in and attach your wrist strap. Using the motherboard box is absolutely fine but I would avoid being in a room with carpet. Build it on your kitchen table or something.

I wouldn't worry too much though!

4 minutes ago, TheNewPCMan said:

Oh thank you!!

He probably said to use the box so you won't scratch the table.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

6 minutes ago, TheNewPCMan said:

They say put it on the box just for extra safety and so if something happens like it explodes or whatever they can say "we told you to build it on the box it's your fault" so you can't get a refund or sue or anything

By the box he means the box the motherboard comes in. Its free! Use it!

Honestly parts built more recently are built quite strong and fairly resilient to most damage, some personal advise though is don't grab the motherboard by the cpu heat-sink it can and more than likely will bend the cpu pins especially if its intel

Some table finishes attract static charges.

Motherboard always on the box. You don't need it there very long. Just long enough to put cpu in its socket. If your case has a motherboard cut out, the cooler can be mounted once the motherboard is in the case.

Before starting assembly, think out the order in which you are going to do things. It is not always the same. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.