First work station

Hey everyone! My dad runs his own video filming and editing company and he is in the market for a new work station. I've never planned a build for a work station but I came up with this. Any problems with it?

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zks24C
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zks24C/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor  ($496.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Jet) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($162.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($249.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card  ($698.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($88.89 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($30.00) 
Monitor: Asus PB287Q 28.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  ($351.83 @ Jet) 
Other: AM4 Bracket ($5.00)
Total: $2364.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-21 11:48 EDT-0400

1. Wait for AIB 1080 Ti, cheaper, cooler, quieter

2. Surely you want a legit copy of Windows when spending that much money (kinguin and g2a for me is shady)

3. Only 500GB of storage?

Is he planning on overclocking? If not, you do not need the h100i.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

1. Wait for AIB 1080 Ti, cheaper, cooler, quieter

2. Surely you want a legit copy of Windows when spending that much money (kinguin and g2a for me is shady)

3. Only 500GB of storage?

1. Yeah this isn't being built really soon so I was kinda planning on it

2. Even if it is shady, I could buy 3 keys for the price of one normal copy, so at least one should work. But I see your point

3. I should bump it up to like 1 TB or something

5 minutes ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

True, recommend a good air cooler besides the 212?

5 minutes ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

1800x does not come with stock cooler

Just now, Ultra_Man52 said:

True, recommend a good air cooler besides the 212?

Get Be Quite dark rock coolers, very quite

1 minute ago, honor said:

budget?

Around $3000 I think, but I'm trying to keep it low

Looks good, though considering the cooler I'm assuming you will overclock in which case you should get a 1700, as it overclocks pretty much the same at 2/3 the price. It also comes with a stock cooler, so perhaps you could just keep that instead and save some money; should still be able to reach 3.8 ghz or so on it.

As well, as others have said, you might as well go the safe route and make sure the Windows copy you buy is legitimate.

I also assume you're going to be waiting for the AIB 1080 tis, since the founders isn't as good as them.

Also, if your dad is doing anything that requires accurate colors, I wouldn't recommend that monitor as it is TN and cheaper so color accuracy probably isn't the best. Something like this would probably be more suitable.

As well, you might want to consider 32gb RAM.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

Around $3000 I think, but I'm trying to keep it low

Do you know if the programs he uses are GPU accelerated? Because if not youll want a better CPU like a 12+ core xeon

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Get Be Quite dark rock coolers, very quite

Does be quiet have AM4 brackets yet 

Soon I guess

5 minutes ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

i would go with nactua they have am4 compatible coolers that are nice.

Here is my kinda revised version of your build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($326.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($178.98 @ Directron) 
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($214.97 @ Jet) 
Storage: Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($329.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($123.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card  ($698.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($88.89 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: LG 27UD68-W 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  ($449.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $2582.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-21 12:04 EDT-0400

You could get a custom cooler but the stock should be able to push 3.7 or 3.8. An aftermarket one should reach 3.9 or 4 ghz so it's up to you whether or not you want to spend the extra.

I switched the SSD for a 960 pro just for better reliability and whatnot. Also, once the AIB cards are out switch the 1080 ti to one of them. I also switched the monitor for a more accurate one that is IPS. Also upgraded the RAM to 32gb. Also got a legit copy of Windows just in case but if you want to just get it from Kinguin then that's up to you.

Also, if all the videos are being stored on this computer and not a server or something you may want to consider getting two HDDs and using RAID 1 on them just to be safe.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 minutes ago, Moress said:

Do you know if the programs he uses are GPU accelerated? Because if not youll want a better CPU like a 12+ core xeon

At this point wouldn't Ryzen be better than a Xeon? Also does anyone know how much a difference there is between the 1700X and 1800X? Is it worth saving the $100?

8 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Looks good, though considering the cooler I'm assuming you will overclock in which case you should get a 1700, as it overclocks pretty much the same at 2/3 the price. It also comes with a stock cooler, so perhaps you could just keep that instead and save some money; should still be able to reach 3.8 ghz or so on it.

As well, as others have said, you might as well go the safe route and make sure the Windows copy you buy is legitimate.

I also assume you're going to be waiting for the AIB 1080 tis, since the founders isn't as good as them.

Also, if your dad is doing anything that requires accurate colors, I wouldn't recommend that monitor as it is TN and cheaper so color accuracy probably isn't the best. Something like this would probably be more suitable.

As well, you might want to consider 32gb RAM.

if they went with 4 dims of ram you would get much lower memory speeds. as for the reaching 3.8 on stock coolers i would say that is way to optimistic. after 3.7ghz the voltage increase to keep the cpu stable is quite a bit and it would likely thermal throttle. most likely if you went with the stock cooler you would running it at 3.7 on all cores. 

I would get a better monitor then that ASUS one. Perhaps an LG ultrawide since he edits video.

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Here is my kinda revised version of your build:

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($326.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($178.98 @ Directron) 
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($214.97 @ Jet) 
Storage: Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($329.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($123.88 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: LG 27UD68-W 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  ($449.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $2582.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-21 12:04 EDT-0400

You could get a custom cooler but the stock should be able to push 3.7 or 3.8. An aftermarket one should reach 3.9 or 4 ghz so it's up to you whether or not you want to spend the extra.

I switched the SSD for a 960 pro just for better reliability and whatnot. Also, once the AIB cards are out switch the 1080 ti to one of them. I also switched the monitor for a more accurate one that is IPS. Also upgraded the RAM to 32gb. Also got a legit copy of Windows just in case but if you want to just get it from Kinguin then that's up to you.

Also, if all the videos are being stored on this computer and not a server or something you may want to consider getting two HDDs and using RAID 1 on them just to be safe.

I'm not very familiar with RAID anything, what kind of performance gains are there? Also, is m.2 really THAT much faster than a normal SSD?

At this point wouldn't Ryzen be better than a Xeon? Also does anyone know how much a difference there is between the 1700X and 1800X? Is it worth saving the $100?

If your program uses far more CPU power than gpu power you'll want a high core count Xeon, like 14-16 cores. Which you can fit in 3k if you're not buying a flagship gpu. Ask your dad what programs he uses.

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2680 V4 2.4GHz 14-Core Processor  ($1639.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme3 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($384.97 @ Jet)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($89.69 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($89.69 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ Video Card  ($234.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Jet)
Total: $2859.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-21 12:11 EDT-0400

This is what a CPU focussed workstation should look like

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

2 minutes ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

i get a higher score in cinebench than a 12 core xeon with the r7 1700 at 3.7 so i would say you would be better off getting the r7 as it has both good multithreaded performance and good single threaded performance. obviously the single threaded is behind the i7 and i5 but it is better than a low clocked xeon. 

5 minutes ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

if you want good performance out of your cpu you will want to overclock your cpu anyways because the frequency they advertise for the 1800x and 1700x are for one to two cores not all cores. if you want to reach their boost clock on all cores you have to overclock in which case you might as well get the r7 1700 as it can overclock just as high as the rest of them but is quite a bit cheaper. 

AMD Ryzen Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XgMhZ8

(The reason for the high price is, most of all, the monitor. If your father is earning his money with this, you might not want to go for a cheap monitor
I also went for quality over price, so ultimately it is up to you)

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

if you want good performance out of your cpu you will want to overclock your cpu anyways because the frequency they advertise for the 1800x and 1700x are for one to two cores not all cores. if you want to reach their boost clock on all cores you have to overclock in which case you might as well get the r7 1700 as it can overclock just as high as the rest of them but is quite a bit cheaper. 

I'm not understanding this right, everyone is saying that the 1700 would be just as good because it can overclocked better, but aren't the 1700X and 1800X just overall better?

26 minutes ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

yeah the h100i would be really nice to get 3.9 to 4.0 ghz on all cores as the r7 series get pretty hot around that frequency.