680i Sli+Q6600 won't boot with 8gb of RAM

So I recently refurbished an old Q6600 PC. I added 4gb of RAM and a 1050 to it. When I tried to boot it gave an error code 06. I tried to troubleshoot thinking it was the graphics card, but nothing happened. I removed all added parts and it booted, so i tested each dimm of RAM and it would boot. Finally I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't boot with 8gb of RAM. I have a 1gb dimm of ddr2 and with all 4 slots filled with a total of 7gb, it magically booted. I have no idea what to do to get this thing up to 8gb of ram, i want to sell it for light gaming, but i would like to use 8gb in it rather than 7.

Just now, Jskn said:

Ssssshhhh it's 8 if you believe

should I download more?

Just now, frozeNNN said:

So basically you know the problem? 

no, i dont know why it wont boot with 8

Just now, frozeNNN said:

Dead RAM stick or slot,that's the problem

if i try the extra stick in other positions they still work- it just wont boot with 8 any other configuration of 7 will boot.

Have you tried putting one of the other sticks  in that slot and it boots = the slot works.

Have you tried putting that last one stick in another slot and it boots = ram stick works.

1 minute ago, casbro11 said:

if i try the extra stick in other positions they still work- it just wont boot with 8 any other configuration of 7 will boot.

BUT have you tried other sticks in the slot where you tried the extra stick?

Just now, Stefken89 said:

Have you tried putting one of the other sticks  in that slot and it boots = the slot works.

Have you tried putting that last one stick in another slot and it boots = ram stick works.

yes i have. But if there is a total of 8 gigs in the system=no boot (no matter the configuration) 

if 1 is replaced by a single gig= boot (No matter configuration)

1 minute ago, frozeNNN said:

BUT have you tried other sticks in the slot where you tried the extra stick?

yes

ive tried every configuration possible

it just wont boot with 8

Just now, casbro11 said:

yes

it just wont boot with 8

Maybe it doesn't want to have different sticks at the same time

1 minute ago, casbro11 said:

yes

it just wont boot with 8

Have the 2 in there like under the mobo and say it's nine gigabytes of ram

Maybe there is a compatibility issue with that one stick versus the other one in the corresponding dual channel slot?

Just now, frozeNNN said:

Maybe it doesn't want to have different sticks at the same time

I have 4 kits

kit 1 [ 2 are identical

kit 2 [2 are identical

extra 1 [1 is 2gb

extra 2 [1 is the 1gb

kit 1 and 2 are the same, just without heat spreaders

extra 1 and extra 2 are the same speed as the 2 kits

3 minutes ago, Stefken89 said:

Maybe there is a compatibility issue with that one stick versus the other one in the corresponding dual channel slot?

maybe but i dont think so, each stick swapped out still worked

Kit 1 [ XY

Kit 2 [AB

Worked:

X   A   Y

X   B   Y

Y   A   X

Y   B   X

A   Y   B

A   X   B

B   Y   A

B   X   A

Any of those + 1gb = worked

any of those + any other 2gb dimm = didnt work

Any of those replaced with another 2gb dimm= worked

memory controller or whatever it is that handles that might be a pussy when it comes to RAM and 8GB just pushes it to its limits for that speed, try running it a bit slower or/and with looser clocks

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Try boot with a lower FSB speed. 

do you know any guides or videos on that?

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

memory controller or whatever it is that handles that might be a pussy when it comes to RAM and 8GB just pushes it to its limits for that speed, try running it a bit slower or/and with looser clocks

i have no idea how to change that

Just now, casbro11 said:

i have no idea how to change that

go into the BIOS and there should be a memory tab, you should be able to tweek things in there, for FSB there should be a similar menue in the CPU or memory section depending on the motherboard. make sure you take note of what its at now though in case you mess something up or want to return back to this

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

go into the BIOS and there should be a memory tab, you should be able to tweek things in there, for FSB there should be a similar menue in the CPU or memory section depending on the motherboard. make sure you take note of what its at now though in case you mess something up or want to return back to this

thanks, ill try when i get home

Just now, casbro11 said:

thanks, ill try when i get home

hope you can get it working :) 

Builds:

Spoiler