[UPDATE: More specs] Apple replaces iPad Air 2 with new iPad

19 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

People do legit work on tablets still? That's got to be some what painful. 

It depends on what you consider work. I'm pretty sure a lot of teachers use iPads especially for visual aids since it can run either Keynote or PowerPoint. It has way better battery life than most laptops and it has Exchange support as well as MDM vendor support. An iPad can do light editing of documents on the go and it will save changes in the cloud. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

53 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

According to the updated spec sheet, it gets more storage. So, I guess it's more reasonable now.

I suppose... but it's still a pretty big price jump.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

More efficient architecture does not automatically mean more performance.

Most of the perf improvement from A8 to A9 came from clockspeed bumps with a minor IPC improvement.

A8X was a 1.4/1.5GHz triple core SOC.

A9 would be slightly slower than the A8X without architecture IPC improvement as shown below.

This assumes IPC is the same.

2x 1.86GHz = 3.72

3x 1.4GHz = 4.2

The A9 has a 30% higher single core Geekbench score and about the same multicore score while being more efficient. I don't see that as being a bad upgrade considering they lowered the cost.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Where are you getting these numbers? 

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm effectively multiplying the amount of cores by their clock speed.

The A8X has been known to run at between 1.4GHz and 1.5GHz.

A9 is not a "upgrade" from A8X. It's a side grade. It's like going from a GTX 770 to a GTX 1050.

Sure, some areas are better but others are worse.

@AluminiumTech take a look at these numbers from the iPhone 6s and iPad Air 2 review.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8666/the-apple-ipad-air-2-review/3

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9686/the-apple-iphone-6s-and-iphone-6s-plus-review/6

As you can see even at iPhone clockspeeds the A9 outperforms or is equal to the A8X despite the core, thermal and clockspeed deficit. The architecture leap between the A8 and A9 series chips was significant.

This new iPad will be faster than the iPhone that these benchmarks are based on, it'll therefore perform at least as well and in most cases better than the outgoing Air 2.

Apologies on mobile so can't make pretty screenshots to compare.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

well it's "more affordable" by Apple's standards, which means they are gouging you less...slightly LOL. Ipads still has a market for older, non tech savvy people who want to just browse the internet, and for parents who need to keep their young children distracted.   However, the extra $100 and $130 for the larger capacity and cellular model is downright laughable.

6 hours ago, pk-man said:

well it's "more affordable" by Apple's standards, which means they are gouging you less...slightly LOL. Ipads still has a market for older, non tech savvy people who want to just browse the internet, and for parents who need to keep their young children distracted.   However, the extra $100 and $130 for the larger capacity and cellular model is downright laughable.

It's actually quite respectable for the pricing options.

They used to charge people $100 to go from 16GB to 32GB and then another $100 to go to 64GB.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),