Two closed loops cooled together using one fan

Yo!,

Just built a new rig, its a Fractal Design node 304 build with a 7700k using the corsair h90 watercooling. The h90 got a 140mm fan mount and so did the chassi so it worked perfectly to just add it to the exhaust vent. However the chassi is so small the only way I can see to get in like a MSI seahawk X or evga hybrid (closed watercooled gpu) in there would be to add that radiator in a series to the other radiator using like a 140mm to 120mm bracket like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Bgears-Cooling-Fan-Adapter-140mm-Black/dp/B0043GMY1U 

Would that be an overall just bad idea you think?, as the cpu radiator would only get warm air to cool down, or would I only lose a few degrees, and it might be ok?

./Pintuz

PS: not sure if this is a reoccuring topic so I posted it as a new topic, sorry if its discussed somewhere else :)

5 minutes ago, Pintuz said:

-snip-

can you visualise your idea?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

This is basically what I was thinking, I hope it translates. Please note that no component is shown in scale ;). Right side is the back side and the idea is to only use the one 140mm chassi fan to cool both radiators.

watercooling.png

That's such a neat idea. If you think about it, as long as the air passing through the radiators has enough 'thermal capacity' to conduct heat after it's passed through the first radiator it will be able to take heat from the second.

Your setup is just a different configuration (more efficient in some ways) of having a radiator at the back and the top. The same air is passing through both radiators in either configuration, and nobody is complaining about the standard front/back and top radiator configuration (because it works).

The big question is whether the fan that you have lined up for it has the 'horses' to effectively overcome the resistance of two fans without being too slow. I'm not sure about the spec of your fan but I would compare those specs to the market of SP (static pressure) fans and see if it's anywhere near close to the top (to give this idea the best chance).

Not the most useful response but hopefully it's more to think about, and helps you get there.

Yea exactly my sediment also ;) and you are right the more powerful fan (more airflow) in the back would help such configuration to keep cool, though perhaps I would have to replace the two front intake-fans also to avoid getting a chassi with negative air pressure.

The effectiveness (cooling capacity) of a radiator or other heat exchanger is determined by the difference in temperature between the radiator and the medium that it is transferring heat to (ambient or case-temperature air).  This is known as "Delta-T", which just means the temperature difference.

If your coolant is at 45C, and you're sending X amount of 20C ambient air through the rad, you will be able to remove heat at a given rate, while you would have much less cooling capacity if you are trying to remove heat from that same rad full of 45C coolant with air that is 35C.

On something like a car or an industrial chiller, this pretty much doesn't matter at all because the temperature delta is huge (engine coolant runs around 80C, also they have thermostats), but on a PC that we're trying to keep within 10-20C of ambient this is a big deal.

So I guess my point is that yes, your idea will work, and it will cool better than either a 120mm or a 140mm rad, but you are greatly limiting the performance of whichever radiator is is last in your stack, since you're trying to cool the second rad with hot air.  Since they're both closed loops, I'd put whichever is the most okay with running hot last in the stack (a GPU gives no shits about 70C, a CPU will be having a bad day)

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

18 hours ago, Phate.exe said:

Since they're both closed loops, I'd put whichever is the most okay with running hot last in the stack (a GPU gives no shits about 70C, a CPU will be having a bad day)

Hm, yea that is true, the cpu would need to run as cool as possible and if the order could get reversed it would benifit the rig hm. I might need to reconfigure it so that the cpu radiator is feed with the most fresh cool air.

Very cool idea. And in theory, it should work.

In practice, I'm concerned that a single fan will have enough static pressure to effectively cool two radiators without having to turn up the speed (and noise) considerably.

If you have the extra space, perhaps have a 120mm fan on the other end and get some sort push/pull setup going.

If you could have a fan in between the rads as well, that might be even better.

Think of the dual-tower air coolers that can have a fan on the outside of each tower and a fan in between them.

---

• 2 weeks later...

Ok cool, Ive ordered the new 1080ti sea hawk and some new fans and parts. Im planning to do the following setup. I changed radiator order to get the CPU as cool as possible and also put 2 stronger 140mm fans in to help pushing some air through. I also plan to change the front intake fans with a couple of stronger ones to keep the positive pressure in the box. Hopefully this will work :)

watercooling2.png

Hope you find a way to get it all connected together.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what this looks like when it's all put together.

---

It will work, but not that well. You're adding quite a bit of additional resistance with that second rad. Make sure you have a great static pressure fan if you do it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I built it last night, it was a pain to fit all parts together. Due to that I had placed the corsair H90 cpu block with its tubes facing the graphics card to make it more clear around the RAM, I had to rotate the cpu block so that the tubes were facing the RAM instead for better clearence for the cpu radiator and 140mm fan. It was really a millimeter issue everywhere to get it all in place. In order to fit it all together I had to leave the graphics card beside/outside the chassi during assembly. I fitted the gpu radiator, gpu fan and the fanadapter together as one unit into the chassi before adding the CPU radiator and the 140mm fan. In the end it wasnt the configuration I actually wanted, the two fans are too close together I think, but due to the fittings and not having a decent amount of shorter radiator screws and also having to keep the GPU fan due to that the tubes were in the way of anything I tried fitting on the GPU radiator on its own I would say it worked better than I expected.

I only tested running CSGO and it looked good actually. With the new 140mm fan I got below 60C on the CPU and the GPU were at 40-41C. I would say it probably would go up further if I ran a more graphics intens game ofc.

watercooling3.png

IMG_20170410_213510.jpg

IMG_20170410_213545.jpg