AMD claims LG and Vizio are violating its graphics patents

amd_logo_678_450_678x452.png

seems like AMD feels like LG and Vizio are copying what is essentially there architecture and the ITG has agreed to investigate

Late last month, AMD filed a legal complaint against a number of companies accusing them of infringing its patents covering graphics processing technologies. The company requested the United States International Trade Commission (US ITC) to investigate the matter and, if the ITC finds in their favor, ban products based on chips that infringe on AMD’s intellectual property rights.

this also looks to be a stab at ARM , in a proxy war fashion

Notably, all the defendants license their GPU technologies from third party developers such as ARM and Imagination. As case law involving IP infringement is generally weak - it's more difficult to sue over ideas as opposed to physical products - AMD is going after product manufacturers instead. As a result, instead of accusing IP vendor ARM of using its intellectual property, AMD is taking a legal action against MediaTek, LG, Sigma and Vizio, all of whom either make chips that AMD believes use their IP, or use said chips as part of finished consumer goods.

Midgard_Shader_Core_575px.png

a lot more words and detail to be found at the source

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11101/amd-files-patent-complaint-against-mediatek-lg-vizio

and a more easy to understand re-hash

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/19/amd-itc-complaint-vs-lg-and-vizio/

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

If they think they ARM chip is infringing their patent, shouldn't they go after the chip builder instead of the products using the chip? I would assume that LG and LeVizio didn't know this chip might infringe a patent.

4 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

If they think they ARM chip is infringing their patent, shouldn't they go after the chip builder instead of the products using the chip? I would assume that LG and LeVizio didn't know this chip might infringe a patent.

lol 

also @zMeul

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

AyyMD go get them!

I can't wait for those Intel chips that get Radeon graphics as a separate die.

I thought NVidia already lost with similar battle last year, so what is the probability AMD won't be losing this one?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Repost

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

42 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

I thought NVidia already lost with similar battle last year, so what is the probability AMD won't be losing this one?

dont patent holders have to go after people who infringe or else wise it sets a precedent?

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

This was already posted before, but I can't find the thread right now.

I hope AMD gets beaten the crap out of in court. It is such a scumbag move to go after the clients of the company you actually want to sue. If you think ARM is infringing on your patents (by the way, real nice move from the "open" and "friendly" company there) then go after ARM. Don't go after small ARM customers just because you think you have an easier time winning over them.

Really disappointed to see AMD fall this low. I hope they get to pay a big price for being absolute dickheads.

What's even worse is that they are actually seeking bans on the products. For all that talk about wanting HDR to become mainstream, it is a real weird move to try and ban products which support HDR such as a bunch of TVs. I guess they only want it widespread as long as they can earn royalties for seemingly really vague and old patents (some filed 14 years ago).

19 minutes ago, Maslofski said:

dont patent holders have to go after people who infringe or else wise it sets a precedent?

That's more for trademarks.

Yet again, people show how little they know about this stuff.

1. Equalling patent rights to open source is nonsensical in this regard. If a company doesn't actively defend their patents, they will lose the rights to them. Such a fundamental patent defining graphics cards are necessary for AMD to even make GPU's. AMD has (apparently) just licensed out these patents to Intel for about a billion dollars. As such, AMD really doesn't have a choice but to sue.
  2. Going after the vendors serves 2 purposes.
    1. Getting a sales ban on those products, to stop the infringement in practice.
    2. By proxy, put pressure on ARM to sign a licensing deal.
  3. Losing such a patent, opens AMD up to get sued by NVidia and their BS licensing plan.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

mate, what's your problem!?

this seemed like a topic you might have an opinion on. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

This one?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Repost

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

WHOOPS , my bad , i checked the newsthread if there was any mention of this topic but i must have missed it 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Guess what? The "open source" friendly company

*slams door*

JUST CLOSED!

There's a difference between open source and violation of IP

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

39 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

WHOOPS , my bad , i checked the newsthread if there was any mention of this topic but i must have missed it 

To be fair it's month and a half old.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Seems like legal shakedown.

Farmer #1 : "WTF, Farmer #2 stole my crops!"

Farmer #2 : *sells crops to customers*

Farmer #1 : *Goes over to the customers* "Hey, did you buy those crops from Farmer #2?!"

Customers : "Yes we did."

Farmer #1 : "Well, Farmer #2 stole them from me, so you have to pay me for those crops."

Customers : "We already paid Farmer #2"

Farmer #1 : "Doesn't matter, those are my crops so you have to pay me."

Classic double dip con. I guess those smart businessmen and lawmakers knows how to build loopholes and use hard and confusing vernaculars to legalize such shady shakedown tactics. Most likely AMD is going to lose this case if they meet any sensible judge in the courtrooms.

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Guess what? The "open source" friendly company

*slams door*

JUST CLOSED!

'Member when the AMD members here shat all over Nvidia for suing Samsung for the same thing?

I 'member.

8 minutes ago, happyTAFFY said:

Seems like legal shakedown.

Farmer #1 : "WTF, Farmer #2 stole my crops!"

Farmer #2 : *sells crops to customers*

Farmer #1 : *Goes over to the customers* "Hey, did you buy those crops from Farmer #2?!"

Customers : "Yes we did."

Farmer #1 : "Well, Farmer #2 stole them from me, so you have to pay me for those crops."

Customers : "We already paid Farmer #2"

Farmer #1 : "Doesn't matter, those are my crops so you have to pay me."

Classic double dip con. I guess those smart businessmen and lawmakers knows how to build loopholes and use hard and confusing vernaculars to legalize such shady shakedown tactics. Most likely AMD is going to lose this case if they meet any sensible judge in the courtrooms.

It's actually a asking the cops to stop the sale of stolen goods (at least that's what the article is about, not sure if you read that) . It's actually like farmer 1 made something, patented it. Farmer 2 stole it, made it. Sold it to Farmer 3. Farmer 3 resells it. Farmer 1 goes to the cops and says hey that guy is selling stolen goods can we please stop that?

I'm not saying AMD is right. Just that your scenario is completely wrong

But it's not a farmers situation and your clear misunderstanding is due to wanting to pigeon hole ideas into small boxes that fit good guy vs bad guy.

2 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

Here you go

*crawls back into cave*

:P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

I don't

wait .. AMD has patents? where they they found them, in a cereal box?

Ok, I laughed because it's probably where they also found their marketing department. Probably sent some boxtops into kellog for "professional marketeers"

I think this make it quite clear:

"AMD claims that the aforementioned SoCs and products not only infringe on its intellectual property, but that those products also damage legitimate licensees of AMD's IP. To support the claim, AMD made one interesting disclosure: Samsung and GlobalFoundries have licensed its intellectual property covered by the ‘506, ‘454 and ‘133 patents, as well as the ‘967 application. The former has rights to use the IP in its Exynos mobile SoCs (up to 10-nm Exynos 8 Octa 8895 that uses an ARM Mali GPU), whereas the latter has rights to manufacture the appropriate chips".