People in North east Victoria Describing NBN "Sheer Hell"

SammoFS

Source: http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/4543117/country-life-with-the-nbn-is-just-sheer-hell/?cs=2452

r0_0_4080_2427_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Single mum Toni Brezac lives on a rural Wangandary property with two children and, after she was told the old copper lines would be shut down in 18 months, decided to switch to the NBN.

Then the phone and internet connection was worse than she had before, frequently dropping out.

“I do feel we’ve been mislead a bit,” Ms Brezac said.

“I’m very concerned we won’t have copper wire anymore – severe weather seems to affect the NBN.”

In my opinion, This was expected, (This failure that is :/)

“I panicked and I had to walk half a kilometre up the road to the neighbours to use their phone,” she said.

No-one should have to be in disappointment when they receive something.

Whats your opinion on this? (Sorry for the short post.) 

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

Up here in Queensland our NBN has increased dowloads from 6mbs to 20 down and 1 to 3 up.

I look at other nations and what we have is rubbish. Really is disapointing not having fibre into the houses but hey.....you take what they give you. 

There is pressure to change the phones over. Have an Aunty who had to change her phones over to NBN. Not good for old people with little computer knowledge! Really keeps a generation out...their customer service is wanting!

14 minutes ago, rogueone said:

Up here in Queensland our NBN has increased dowloads from 6mbs to 20 down and 1 to 3 up.

I look at other nations and what we have is rubbish. Really is disapointing not having fibre into the houses but hey.....you take what they give you. 

There is pressure to change the phones over. Have an Aunty who had to change her phones over to NBN. Not good for old people with little computer knowledge! Really keeps a generation out...their customer service is wanting!

my 87 year old grand dad got nbn, his homephone is f*cked aswell.

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

My Home phone at my mum's place is copper wires so I it isn't dropping out, but the internet is the NBN Fixed Wireless, it will suddenly just go slow or drop out out of nowhere based on the weather. The ONLY reason I am not getting the povo fibre that most people who live in the town get, is  because where I lived was sub divided up just after they drew the maps, so the houses in the next street over are gettng the real NBN which is piss weak.

On the Modem that NBN co supplied, they put on a sticker is the boxes serial number. They had to come back 2 days later because they put the wrong serial number on the box :P.

Eh, most of the USA infrastructure is quite shit. Probably because the markets are all about short term investments ans not long term planning, which is what the government should've done with lots of things such as public transport. But hey this is a complicated issue and I'm probably oversimplifying something.

5 minutes ago, tlink said:

Eh, most of the USA infrastructure is quite shit. Probably because the markets are all about short term investments ans not long term planning, which is what the government should've done with lots of things such as public transport. But hey this is a complicated issue and I'm probably oversimplifying something.

The US internet is better than what most people get in Australia.....close to major cities

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Wireless internet is the worst thing. I would rather go back to 800kb/s ADSL than have wireless.

The theoretical speed of ADSL2 is 25Mbit/s and VDSL2 is 300Mbit/s.

DSL>wireless

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Can somebody explain what NBN is?

I'm used to all the buzzwords like Fiber Optic and stuff but not NBN.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

59 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Can somebody explain what NBN is?

I'm used to all the buzzwords like Fiber Optic and stuff but not NBN.

It stands for National Broadband Network, basically they are replacing some of the old copper lines with fibre. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, rn8686 said:

It stands for National Broadband Network, basically they are replacing all the old copper lines with fibre. 

oh rip. Australia's internet getting worse? idek how that is even possible.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

oh rip. Australia's internet getting worse? idek how that is even possible.

Its just all the politics about it, constantly changing everything. It should at least improve my speeds a little, I dont see it going below 5 MBps (Many areas slower). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

1 hour ago, tlink said:

Not really.

Hell, the tax payer is PAYING the ISP's to upgrade their infrastructure. They pocket the money and then either do nothing, or do like Verizon did in NYC. They laid the fiber down, then went door to door offering service to buildings but only if they got exclusive rights to that building. They got told to fuck off (as they should) and then they turn around and proclaim "well nobody wants fiber!".

Thankfully, the NYC government is doing the right thing and suing the shit out of them for it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Not really.

Hell, the tax payer is PAYING the ISP's to upgrade their infrastructure. They pocket the money and then either do nothing, or do like Verizon did in NYC. They laid the fiber down, then went door to door offering service to buildings but only if they got exclusive rights to that building. They got told to fuck off (as they should) and then they turn around and proclaim "well nobody wants fiber!".

Thankfully, the NYC government is doing the right thing and suing the shit out of them for it.

Talking about NYC and Verizon/USA'sHelstra:

PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

The US internet is better than what most people get in Australia.....close to major cities

and that too was caused i believe by a monopoly of a non state owned company who had complete control over the infrastructure and hiked prices. the company in question was state owned before, but they privatized it without taking away its monopoly.

10 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Not really.

well thats what im saying, the government is leaving it with company's that have no interest in giving better service instead of forcing them to conform to a norm. in my country people who are fed up with ISP's get around the table with the local government and get a budget to lay the fiber network themselves forcing the ISP's to deliver the service over that.

54 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

It stands for National Broadband Network, basically they are replacing all the old copper lines with fibre. 

Thats what it was originally but it hasnt been that since liberals got in. Yes they are replacing some copper with fiber but the run that goes to the home is still shitty copper hence FTTN. Idk if you knew this already but your comment gave the impression people were getting FTTP which isnt the case anymore.

14 minutes ago, tlink said:

and that too was caused i believe by a monopoly of a non state owned company who had complete control over the infrastructure and hiked prices. the company in question was state owned before, but they privatized it without taking away its monopoly.

They tried to take away the monopoly.....by failing to split it up cleanly.

PMSL

14 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

Thats what it was originally but it hasnt been that since liberals got in. Yes they are replacing some copper with fiber but the run that goes to the home is still shitty copper hence FTTN. Idk if you knew this already but your comment gave the impression people were getting FTTP which isnt the case anymore.

HFC users are getting FTTC now.

fttc isn't THAT bad.

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

15 minutes ago, Rika Shiguma said:

fttc isn't THAT bad.

And any problems that are significantly worse than on your previous connection will be from inadequate capacity on the NBN network or is substandard installation. FTTC really is just giving you what you already had but with a shorter copper distance and an updated DSL protocol (VDSL2+). If they provision you however with coax then all I can say is WTF FTTH would have been the same install cost, assuming without pre-existing coax/cable service so you can reuse that.

38 minutes ago, Rika Shiguma said:

fttc isn't THAT bad.

I know, FTTN is still happening in places though.

26 minutes ago, leadeater said:

And any problems that are significantly worse than on your previous connection will be from inadequate capacity on the NBN network or is substandard installation. FTTC really is just giving you what you already had but with a shorter copper distance and an updated DSL protocol (VDSL2+). If they provision you however with coax then all I can say is WTF FTTH would have been the same install cost, assuming without pre-existing coax/cable service so you can reuse that.

NBN's network is completely adequate for now and the future with having strict back haul upgrade guidelines in place i think it's 70% utilization prompts an upgrade, the artificial limitation (CVC) put in place is the problem.

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

What about my ABC?

DEF is quite controversial too. 

What do you mean you don't know what I'm talking about? You're in the same country and are affected too. Afaik 99% of the world population resides in my country. 

You Americans pull the same shit. 

Maybe eventually people will eventually realize how shit copper is. 

I am a tier 2 fiber and DSL tech for an ISP and even at my company its setup this way. Just a single fiber run with a VDSL2+ shelf at the end to drop to each house. And it looks like this is what they are doing. Yeah its cheap but there is still copper is shit and needs to go away. 

So there is a compound of still having fiber but on top of that, having VDSL means you are more susceptible to noise due to the extra higher frequency and will have drops way more often. They probably are getting better service as in better speeds but they are probably retraining all day long if they didnt spend time to clean up the copper drops.

42 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

NBN's network is completely adequate for now and the future with having strict back haul upgrade guidelines in place i think it's 70% utilization prompts an upgrade, the artificial limitation (CVC) put in place is the problem.

That doesn't rule out substandard installations causing problems and over-subscription at the cabinet level, problems we used to have in the middle stages of our UFB roll-out and a few of the provisioning companies got their contracts canceled because of it.

Other than pricing pretty much every issue with the NBN network is not core infrastructure, other than that one a few years ago you had when netflix launched but that wasn't NBN that was everything Australia wide.

Edit:

Also keep in mind our UFB plans were a direct copy of Australia's original NBN plans, full FTTH in cities and VDSL2+ or 4G E in rural areas.