Cheap INTEL DDR2 240-Pin DIMM 4GB Memory Sticks?

Hi everyone.  I've been looking around for new (or used) DDR2 4GB 800MHz DIMM memory sticks for INTEL systems (not high-density AMD ones) - for 8GB, I'm looking at a price of $90 or more!  Even 8GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 memory is only 60 dollars in some cases these days!  WTF is wrong with all this pricing?  If anyone on here has or knows of a place either physically (that can mail it) or online to get 4GB DDR2 memory sticks for a lot less than $70 dollars per 4GB stick, please tell me of this! :/

And before you say that I'm buying pleb RAM, it's going to be used as a retro gaming/media center/whatever else PC for either my parents, brother, etc. depending on demand.  Anyway, thanks for your assistance.

large capacity DDR2 is pricey. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

8 minutes ago, VPrime said:

Hi everyone.  I've been looking around for new (or used) DDR2 4GB 800MHz DIMM memory sticks for INTEL systems (not high-density AMD ones) - for 8GB, I'm looking at a price of $90 or more!  Even 8GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 memory is only 60 dollars in some cases these days!  WTF is wrong with all this pricing?  If anyone on here has or knows of a place either physically (that can mail it) or online to get 4GB DDR2 memory sticks for a lot less than $70 dollars per 4GB stick, please tell me of this! :/

And before you say that I'm buying pleb RAM, it's going to be used as a retro gaming/media center/whatever else PC for either my parents, brother, etc. depending on demand.  Anyway, thanks for your assistance.

Erm, ebay?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HP-Lenovo-4GB-4-x-1GB-PC2-6400-DDR2-800-Desktop-Memory-Used-/182497265757?hash=item2a7daf485d:g:vr4AAOSw4YdY0ISl

If you live in the US it should be cheaper.

EDIT: I'm stupid. I read it wrong.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

1 minute ago, bob51zhang said:

Sorry, but I meant to say I need individual sticks with 4GB of capacity per stick.  Not 4x1GB, but 1x4GB.  Sorry for any confusion.  And I look at eBay listings and all pretty expensive.

8 minutes ago, VPrime said:

Sorry, but I meant to say I need individual sticks with 4GB of capacity per stick.  Not 4x1GB, but 1x4GB.  Sorry for any confusion.  And I look at eBay listings and all pretty expensive.

High capacity DDR2 is getting harder and harder to find, and prices are going up. I feel your pain. I have a little Micro ATX system that would be a perfect mini-gamer for older titles, but the board only has two DIMMs and it's just not worth sinking $80 into RAM that isn't even guaranteed to work. So it goes about its Q6600 life with a GTX 750 Ti...and 4GB of RAM.

Once in a very blue moon, CeX stumbles across some 4GB sticks of DDR2 desktop RAM, and they sell them for $4 each because that company is apparently full of people who've never looked at eBay before. That's not a perfect solution, though. I went in on ten different 1GB sticks of desktop DDR2 not too long ago to build up a little stock to work from. The packaging was...eh...crap. Six of the sticks actually worked, and it would have cost more to ship the DOAs back to CeX than I would have gotten in a refund.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Lol it was a pain to even find 4x2GB DDR2 for my HTPC. But I found a Kingston Kit for around 40€

After A LOT of searching

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

17 hours ago, aisle9 said:

High capacity DDR2 is getting harder and harder to find, and prices are going up. I feel your pain. I have a little Micro ATX system that would be a perfect mini-gamer for older titles, but the board only has two DIMMs and it's just not worth sinking $80 into RAM that isn't even guaranteed to work. So it goes about its Q6600 life with a GTX 750 Ti...and 4GB of RAM.

Once in a very blue moon, CeX stumbles across some 4GB sticks of DDR2 desktop RAM, and they sell them for $4 each because that company is apparently full of people who've never looked at eBay before. That's not a perfect solution, though. I went in on ten different 1GB sticks of desktop DDR2 not too long ago to build up a little stock to work from. The packaging was...eh...crap. Six of the sticks actually worked, and it would have cost more to ship the DOAs back to CeX than I would have gotten in a refund.

Well it turns out that because the memory controller is not on the Q8400.... I COULD theoretically substitute the motherboard itself for an ATX 4DIMM one with up to 1333 DDR3, and that's actually sometimes pretty cheap - the only problem is finding a good working board by a reputable manufacturer - I'd prefer Asus P45 board or Intel P45 boards, but those turn out to be pricey or from China where I do not trust ordering them.