Let's talk about workstation loads a.k.a. the video editor fallacy

Misanthrope

I don't believe you, but tell me anyway: How many hours per week you honestly spend editing videos?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. I don't believe you, but tell me anyway: How many hours per week you honestly spend editing videos?

• 0 to 3 hours per week
    • 3 to 10 hours per week
    • 10 to 30 hours per week
    • 31+ hours per week (a.k.a. a LMG fulltime editor level)

Now with Ryzen being a central focus and topic of conversation everybody is a video editor or plans on editing video or being a streamer. Sorry but you know what?

Image result for i don't believe you

Yes you reading this thread. I just don't believe you. I believe that you'd like to be a video editor and that you'd like to justify your enthusiasm for Ryzen right now (Or X99 before that) But I believe there's a ridiculously high amount of people that claim they edit videos. Sorry but having a 40 subscribers youtube channel with all of 5 videos on your channel does not makes you a video editor. Doesn't evens merit you getting anything beyond a simple i5 for you to occasionally edit and render a small video once every few months or so. You don't need an 8 core 16 thread processor to scrap up together a small slideshow of your latest family vacation or thanksgiving dinner.

I wish we could stop always having to appease people saying the obligatory line "For gaming, you're fine with an i5/i7 depending on your resolution and framerate but if you edit video [fill in the rest]"

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Nup said:

I think most of us are just power users... to be frank i'd love a productive excuse to pushy my pc. 

While i do some video editing, and that was part of the decision when i got my 5820k.  Truth be told the main reason is what Nup said.

I wanted something more powerful than necessary in my computer and so i bought it. Not everyone who will own a Rhyzen 7 will be video editing just like not everyone who owns a mustang or Camaro will be drag racing. 

I would never get an "extreme" edition CPU from Intel or a Ryzen competitor as recently suspected to emerge, unless its inherent features are something i absolutely need and i would focus more on my motherboard usability\aesthetics and less on the CPU, because overclocking would be a must for me to use it for gaming and only the entry level "E" CPU would even come with decent clockspeeds.

I dont think id cut it to edit videos, mainly because i dont find it as appealing as editing animations or similar animated projects that are far more interesting to see and perhaps experience even if just a tiny bit.

Hey, still it is one persons wallet and not your judgment who will make the final call :P. Thankfully the 1800X seems to want to fix the gap between both scenarios.

Groomlake Authority

I just didn't have the heart to buy another quad-core... 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Should also be noted that with Rhyzens support of ECC memory they make a compelling option for server use. 

36 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I work up to 72hrs a week working on feature films...

Edit: Once, for Fantastic Beasts, I managed an 88hr week...

Yeah but you're not exactly the average LTT viewer who plays LoL and Rocket League and Witcher 3 and edits a 5-minute clip from his sick LoL game :P

EDIT: I also assume you do most of your editing at work on a company provided PC?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

Should also be noted that with Rhyzens support of ECC memory they make a compelling option for server use. 

Certainly, my comparison was more aimed at the "workstation/enthusiast" market (X99 as in extreme edition, not Xeons) Because frankly as @Nup said most people are really more power users than serious workstation users. Reminds me of a professor I had many gears ago that had 8gb of ram on his personal system in like 2002 and he flatout said "I like having a ton of extra ram I would almost never use, I just like to know it's there"

If one wants to just know that the extra cores will be there for that one time of the year they might edit a video or run a virtual machine that's fine with me. But people pretending like they're really big, professional youtubers or streamers that need a lot of horse power, that's just silly. Just say it's an e penis thing and I won't judge.

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

True - but so do i3's :P Depending on the needs for your server, an i3 may be totally fine (Eg: File server).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah but you're not exactly the average LTT viewer who plays LoL and Rocket League and Witcher 3 and edits a 5-minute clip from his sick LoL game :P

EDIT: I also assume you do most of your editing at work on a company provided PC?

Yeah.  2x12 cores and it still sucks with deep data compositing. :P

That said, a number of people I know work independently from home.

Though this thread, the real problem is that the OP wants to suggest it's wrong for even hobbiests doing their own let's plays for fun to spend money on resources.  There's nothing wrong with someone, in a any hobby or side job, from spending more to do it better and enjoy it.

43 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yeah.  2x12 cores and it still sucks with deep data compositing. :P

That said, a number of people I know work independently from home.

Though this thread, the real problem is that the OP wants to suggest it's wrong for even hobbiests doing their own let's plays for fun to spend money on resources.  There's nothing wrong with someone, in a any hobby or side job, from spending more to do it better and enjoy it.

Indeed - if you have expendable income, and are interested in doing some editing? Sure, get that higher core-count CPU!

But the base point still has some value as well - people recommending higher core count CPU's when in reality most users will pretty much be gaming exclusively - especially when they have to sacrifice some other part of the system to fit those cores in.

Now - once Ryzen 3 and 5 hit shelves, this conversation may well change a lot.

I could say 3d rendering, but, gpu compute tends to be the much faster option anyway, so I got nothing to warrant an X99/Ryzen. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

if you have expendable income

I think its more marketing hype, gotta be in the in-crowd type shenanigans.

Exactly zero, I've never edited a video in my life.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro