Temperatures before and after delid and lapping 6700k

So I noticed my EK Nickel CPU Waterblock was pretty uneven and my 6700K temperatures would be pretty high running AIDA 64 CPU Stress test and i could not run FPU stress test.

I just wanted to show the temperature difference with delidding and applying Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut and lapping the Waterblock using sandpaper.

About 12C difference. and i can run FPU test with 70C Max temp now. I would say the lapping on the waterblock was the main cause of the temperature drop, but delidding and adding conductonaut didn't hurt and was extremely easy with the rockit cool delid tool.

Before Lap and Delid.png

After Lap and Delid.png

P.S. Also as you can see Chassis #2 Fan is my D5 Pump which I run at constant 1500RPM, and CPU fan is my radiator fans which I run at around 350rpm (Noctua NF-F12) and Chassis fan 1 is my rear exhaust at ~450RPM (Noctua NF-F12). So the computer is completely silent under full load as the temps don't go that high anymore.

Edited by Carlos.33193

Pretty lit ??

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Lapping really doesn't do anything, the difference is all from the TIM replacement.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Is ur block/cooler under warranty because i think its the blocks falt then you sanded it :P

But cool :)

8 minutes ago, Carlos.33193 said:

So I noticed my EK Nickel CPU Waterblock was pretty uneven and my 6700K temperatures would be pretty high running AIDA 64 CPU Stress test and i could not run FPU stress test.

I just wanted to show the temperature difference with delidding and applying Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut and lapping the Waterblock using sandpaper.

About 12C difference. and i can run FPU test with 70C Max temp now. I would say the lapping on the waterblock was the main cause of the temperature drop, but delidding and adding conductonaut didn't hurt and was extremely easy with the rockit cool delid tool.

I would beg to differ. It would have to be extremely concave or convex to see a 12C difference. I'd say that was likely the delid entirely. We have people seeing upwards of 30C drops after delidding. I personally saw a 21C difference. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

It was very convex. I tried to mount it about 4 times to my cpu and after every time i would remove it the thermal paste was always spread towards one side or the other and not making proper contact with the CPU. after i lapped there was significant reduction in the center and the TIM is not evenly spread. So I cannot say for certain if it was the delid or not, but my EK waterblock was very bad from the beggining, and considering i had an H105 before and it would Max Temp at around 70C or so i figured the internal spreader TIM was ok.