Weird Micro-Stutter Issue - AW 13R3

Go to solution Solved by Pendragon,
5 hours ago, Takoren said:

So here is the issue, I have my background set to Slideshow on my Alienware 13r3 and anytime the background changes I get a microstutter, the screen locks up for about .5 seconds and then goes back to normal. After some research and troubleshooting I narrowed the issue down to a GPU switching problem, basically the computer switches to the dGPU from the iGPU and then back again, I verified this by turning off the iGPU and the issue goes away. The problem is that with the dGPU being used constantly the battery life goes way down (its already not great) so I am trying to find a way to stop it from switching during a wallpaper change.

Lol basically everything @D2ultima mentioned. But there's a few things you can do. I have a side piece AW15R3 that I play with. Basically you can go to nvidia control panel and force the dGPU to not do anything in almost all applications. There's a Windows Photo application you should see in the program settings in the nvidia control panel. Force that to NOT run on the dGPU. In fact I have all my Windows applications forced not to run on the dGPU. Hopefully this should solve your problem. Otherwise, run in power saver in the power profiles but go into the advanced settings and up the processor state limitations. Power saver forces on the iGPU to work, but by limiting the cpu processor limit it'll allow the CPU run faster. Granted the second option is janky and alot of things are really weird. So hopefully forcing Windows Photos to run on iGPU will fix it for you. 

So here is the issue, I have my background set to Slideshow on my Alienware 13r3 and anytime the background changes I get a microstutter, the screen locks up for about .5 seconds and then goes back to normal. After some research and troubleshooting I narrowed the issue down to a GPU switching problem, basically the computer switches to the dGPU from the iGPU and then back again, I verified this by turning off the iGPU and the issue goes away. The problem is that with the dGPU being used constantly the battery life goes way down (its already not great) so I am trying to find a way to stop it from switching during a wallpaper change.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Can you set it up to only use dGPU with DC-IN, but only use iGPU on battery?

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

24 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

Can you set it up to only use dGPU with DC-IN, but only use iGPU on battery?

Not that I can find, I have to use the FN+F7 to switch modes and that requires a restart each time.

1 minute ago, Takoren said:

Not that I can find, I have to use the FN+F7 to switch modes and that requires a restart each time.

Huh, most laptops lets you change without needing a restart

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

3 hours ago, UberGamerKing said:

Huh, most laptops lets you change without needing a restart

No they don't. You're thinking of "Optimus/Enduro" where the iGPU runs the screen and the dGPU is a number cruncher (it runs nothing, it simply calculates the graphics and passes through the iGPU).

What he is speaking about, is a MUX switch, where he switches from Optimus/Enduro to actual dGPU-only mode, complete with all the control panel and screen options present, as well as access to things like desktop shadowplay recording and whatnot.

When he says he is turning off the iGPU, it means he's literally turning it off, completely. The reason he needs to reboot is because Windows is a piece of crap and M$ has yet to code in the ability to switch the primary graphics adapter without a reboot. Optimus/Enduro work because the primary graphics adapter is *always* the intel card.

3 hours ago, Takoren said:

Anyone have any suggestions?

Probably, change it from being a slideshow. Unfortunately for you, Optimus/Enduro is pretty crappy tech. They "mostly" work and "mostly" is fine for people, but as you can tell it can cause problems. There used to be a way to run iGPU-only, but that was back in the M17x R4 days.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

7 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

No they don't. You're thinking of "Optimus/Enduro" where the iGPU runs the screen and the dGPU is a number cruncher (it runs nothing, it simply calculates the graphics and passes through the iGPU).

What he is speaking about, is a MUX switch, where he switches from Optimus/Enduro to actual dGPU-only mode, complete with all the control panel and screen options present, as well as access to things like desktop shadowplay recording and whatnot.

When he says he is turning off the iGPU, it means he's literally turning it off, completely. The reason he needs to reboot is because Windows is a piece of crap and M$ has yet to code in the ability to switch the primary graphics adapter without a reboot. Optimus/Enduro work because the primary graphics adapter is *always* the intel card.

Probably, change it from being a slideshow. Unfortunately for you, Optimus/Enduro is pretty crappy tech. They "mostly" work and "mostly" is fine for people, but as you can tell it can cause problems. There used to be a way to run iGPU-only, but that was back in the M17x R4 days.

That is what I figured but wanted to pass it to the LTT community and see if someone smarter than I had a solution.

Just now, Takoren said:

That is what I figured but wanted to pass it to the LTT community and see if someone smarter than I had a solution.

Your better bet would be the notebookreview forums. Though, most of the knowledge-able people there don't use Optimus notebooks, but you may still find much better help. 

Honestly except for myself and a few others here, LTT knows jack shit about laptops. You find people who don't think a laptop can overclock, who don't know laptop CPUs are all bare die, who think Razer makes good laptops, who think laptops that sit at thermal throttle points are fine, etc. I mean I'm not saying not to use here, but if you have a very weird problem, you should try NBR first.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

10 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Your better bet would be the notebookreview forums. Though, most of the knowledge-able people there don't use Optimus notebooks, but you may still find much better help. 

Honestly except for myself and a few others here, LTT knows jack shit about laptops. You find people who don't think a laptop can overclock, who don't know laptop CPUs are all bare die, who think Razer makes good laptops, who think laptops that sit at thermal throttle points are fine, etc. I mean I'm not saying not to use here, but if you have a very weird problem, you should try NBR first.

Good point, I always read their reviews but didn't think to post there for some reason, thanks.

52 minutes ago, Takoren said:

Good point, I always read their reviews but didn't think to post there for some reason, thanks.

Oh I'm not talking about the reviews from NBR. Just the forums. I haven't ever read a single review from NBR and I've been there since 2009 xD

5 hours ago, Takoren said:

Lol basically everything @D2ultima mentioned. But there's a few things you can do. I have a side piece AW15R3 that I play with. Basically you can go to nvidia control panel and force the dGPU to not do anything in almost all applications. There's a Windows Photo application you should see in the program settings in the nvidia control panel. Force that to NOT run on the dGPU. In fact I have all my Windows applications forced not to run on the dGPU. Hopefully this should solve your problem. Otherwise, run in power saver in the power profiles but go into the advanced settings and up the processor state limitations. Power saver forces on the iGPU to work, but by limiting the cpu processor limit it'll allow the CPU run faster. Granted the second option is janky and alot of things are really weird. So hopefully forcing Windows Photos to run on iGPU will fix it for you. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p