Ultrawide Mode "Aspect" vs "1:1"

So ive just bought the Acer x34 monitor and I think im in love with it.

But In the OSD there is an option labeled "ultrawide mode", with the two options being "aspect" or "1:1".

Switching between the two turns the display off briefly and on again, as if it is rebooting. But other than that I cant seem to see any difference at all.

Does anyone know what these options mean?

20 minutes ago, GoldieFoxx said:

So ive just bought the Acer x34 monitor and I think im in love with it.

But In the OSD there is an option labeled "ultrawide mode", with the two options being "aspect" or "1:1".

Switching between the two turns the display off briefly and on again, as if it is rebooting. But other than that I cant seem to see any difference at all.

Does anyone know what these options mean?

These are scaling options, which will only affect the image when you are running the monitor at a resolution lower than the native resolution.

"Aspect" will scale the image as large as possible until it hits either the top or sides of the screen, and it will fill any remaining space with black bars, keeping the aspect ratio the same.

"1:1" means it will display the image exactly as received without scaling, so if you send a 1280×720 image it will just take up a 1280×720 rectangle in the center of the monitor and the rest of the pixels will remain black.

These will also only work if you have GPU scaling turned off in the NVIDIA/AMD control panel, but it is recommended you keep GPU scaling on and control scaling through the options in the NVIDIA/AMD control panel, not use the monitor's controls. In that case you can leave the monitor at whatever setting you like since it will not affect anything if GPU scaling is enabled.